Training for a 5K

Options
Hi Everyone,

I'm in the process of training for my first 5K, and have been boosting my cardio time at the gym and off days for the past three weeks. A couple of questions for the mfp community - could use some assistance from those that have trained or participated in previous 5Ks. Some background, last Friday I was finally able to run 3 miles in 30 minutes on a treadmill, but on pavement it's been a much harder accomplishment.

- Any other training exercises the group can recommend in preparation for the run?
- How much water should I consume right before the run?
- I've heard runners in the past that it's always best to "carb up" before a big run, but I think that's for longer distances. Any recommendations on the kind of foods I should consume or stay away from the night before or the day of the run?

Thanks in advance to everyone for your help!

Replies

• brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options

- Any other training exercises the group can recommend in preparation for the run?
    - How much water should I consume right before the run?
    - I've heard runners in the past that it's always best to "carb up" before a big run, but I think that's for longer distances. Any recommendations on the kind of foods I should consume or stay away from the night before or the day of the run?

Thanks in advance to everyone for your help!

I don't necessarily train for 5ks on their own. I would recommend incorporate some longer runs into your training and some hill repeats.

water before the run - meh - i may have a few sips - anything more and you will have issues
    no - don't carb up
  • 416runner
    416runner Posts: 159
    Options
    For the most part, preparation for the run is running and more running :) but spinning and yoga are great cross training exercises for running. With a 5k, you don't need to overdo it with food or water either just before or the night before. Just make sure you stay hydrated on a regular basis. Some simple carbs (toast, bagel, or some fruit) will be enough on the morning of a run will be fine; whatever you normally eat before a run.

Just don't try anything new on race morning! Have fun!
  • profgal43
    profgal43 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    It may not be helpful for you since you have already made a great start, but maybe it will help others who want to make a start or help you move to pavement. I use a great Android App called Ease into 5 K. It has an 8 week plan to move a person from a non-runner to a 5 k runner in 8 weeks. I'm in week 4! You are way ahead of me, I'm probably running a 12 min mile :) but I'm getting there!

Do you have good running shoes? I started out running in an old pair and moved to a new pair of high tech Brooks and saw an immediate boost in my ability to run on pavement. A huge difference.
  • BigPapaLuke
    BigPapaLuke Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Waht kind of Brooks were they? I'm thinking about getting a new pair since my Ascics are almost done. Was going to get a pair after the 5K. Thank you all for the recommendations!!
  • adammoney
    adammoney Posts: 2
    Options
    If you are just starting out I would recommend running an easy pace. That is what I did and my pace began to drop. Then when you can comfortably run the distance you can start some higher intensity stuff like a track workout or tempo run. My training pace is usually 9 minute miles but I am guessing I would run about a 22-23 minute 5k right now.