Road trip snacks?

Options
I have an unusual problem. I fall asleep when I'm the driver, if I'm not eating. I've tried chewing gum or drinking water/tea, it doesn't work, I HAVE to be eating something.

So, tomorrow I'm driving for 8 hours, all alone, to go to my Grandma's memorial in SoCal. I've got carrots, blackberries, ... and that's where I hit a wall. I need food that's individually small, so I can eat a lot, slowly.

Ideas?

Replies

• Kreacher12
    Kreacher12 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Sounds like time for a trail mix of some sort. Nuts, raisins, Wheat and Rice Chex cereals, popcorn and stuff like that. Search for 'low calorie trail mix recipe' and you'll find some stuff.
  • megandme120
    megandme120 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I'm getting ready for a road trip too! I'm glad you posted this!

Maybe those thin pretzel sticks?( they're long so you can nibble on them and not eat too many)

Low fat granola

Sunflower seeds
  • saustin201
    saustin201 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Some whole wheat crackers could help too.
  • saustin201
    saustin201 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Some whole wheat crackers could help too.
  • specialkyc
    specialkyc Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Nuts, strawberries, granola bars and prepop some low cal popcorn.
  • loki3981
    loki3981 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    beef jerky is a personal favorite of mine. There are low sodium brands out there.
  • MovesLikePuma
    Options
    Raw broccoli? Cauliflower?
  • DrPepperLeigh74
    DrPepperLeigh74 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    100 calorie pack almonds, mini rice cakes, 100 calorie pack chocolate covered pretzels,100 calorie bag popcorn (pop before you leave), grapes Have a safe trip :)
  • Sharmender
    Sharmender Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Rice cakes! :D
  • slammy1079
    slammy1079 Posts: 97
    Options
    Persian cucumbers are the jam. You can cut them up into little slices and eat tons of them. I'm the same way about driving.
  • summer8it
    summer8it Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Slice an apple into thin slices, then nibble. If you toss them with a tiny bit of lemon juice, they won't go brown so quickly.

Celery would be a good option, too. You could eat celery all day without racking up too many calories, and the crunching will definitely keep you awake!

Pickles are almost calorie-free, too.
  • wendyjo3
    wendyjo3 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I'm getting ready for a road trip too! I'm glad you posted this!

Maybe those thin pretzel sticks?( they're long so you can nibble on them and not eat too many)

Low fat granola

Sunflower seeds

Sunflower seeds--- great idea!! They take so long to get open, that should keep you busy for some time.
  • DaBossLady24
    DaBossLady24 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Make little apple peanut butter sandwiches... slice some apples and spread a bit of peanut butter in between 2 slices (or however you want to cut them)

As another poster said, put lemon juice on the apples if you don't want them to turn brown before putting the mini sandwiches into a container... either way they taste DELICIOUS! :drinker:
  • chelsa1986
    chelsa1986 Posts: 71
    Options
    These are all fantastic ideas! Thank you so much :^)
  • kathy68820
    kathy68820 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I do the apples also, but put them in a bag with some cinnamon and spenda...almost like apple pie!!!!!
  • awetherell
    awetherell Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    How about grapes? A flatmate of mine when I was at university used to keep grapes in the freezer (take them off the stalks first) as they then take longer to eat. As long as you don't have sensitive teeth this could keep you awake for a while not only through eating but also with the cold?

I often cut up lots of short carrot sticks for long drives and put them in a pot, though you could do this with loads of veggies.

I also agree with air popped popcorn!

Have you tried putting a story book tape/cd on whilst you drive? If you get a good enough one you could be engrossed enough to stay awake? Good luck with your journey and I hope your Grandmother's memorial is okay.
  • rcharlee
    rcharlee Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Pirate Booty! They are popped, and have different flavors; I have white cheddar right now.
  • ChristinaLB
    ChristinaLB Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    sliced cucumbers and they have vitamins to boost energy (believe it or not)

also I put pineapple juice instead of lemon on my apples to keep them from going brown. I don't like lemon flavored apples.