eathing only 500 calories

Options

Replies

• miracle4me
    miracle4me Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Yes...my sister was on the "Dr. Assisted Diet" with the B12 shot, Adipex, and 50 calorie a day limit. She was walking every day for at least 20 min. She dropped 55 lbs in 4 1/2 months. She is recovering from a mini-stroke right now. She had it a few days ago, at the age of 27!!!! Her Potassium level and Electrolytes were almost non-existentent. I would not advise you doing this, at all.
    This
    When I read your post I got tears in my eyes. I am sorry for your Sister and for you. Thank You for warning. I am amazed she did not lose more her body was trying to survive. Thank You for warning others it is their choice whether they listen.
  • kiki2289
    kiki2289 Posts: 11
    Options
    Thank you For your reply I will increase my calories! I knew it wasn't the best to do that but its to how bad it is or what would happen in a long run I wasn't sure! I am sure all of you understand you get exciting to see number going down and whatever ur doing you want to keep doing it because its working.. that's why I ask.. want it to see if I continue how bad it would get.. It's a reality check! I cant keep doing it because I am not planning on eating 500 calories for the rest of my life! Thank you!
  • Tannedtiffers
    Tannedtiffers Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Yes...my sister was on the "Dr. Assisted Diet" with the B12 shot, Adipex, and 50 calorie a day limit. She was walking every day for at least 20 min. She dropped 55 lbs in 4 1/2 months. She is recovering from a mini-stroke right now. She had it a few days ago, at the age of 27!!!! Her Potassium level and Electrolytes were almost non-existentent. I would not advise you doing this, at all.

What type of doctor would assist in this type of diet?! 50 cals? No one can survive on that!

meant to say 500 calories..oops.
  • sandrajune72
    sandrajune72 Posts: 550
    Options
    :noway:

Is this a troll post?

Yes....Yes it is

Whats a troll post?

Yeah, what's a troll post???? :ohwell:
  • kiki2289
    Options

Is this a troll post?

Yes....Yes it is

Whats a troll post?

I was wondering the same??? What is a troll post?
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

Is this a troll post?

Yes....Yes it is

Whats a troll post?

It's when someone deliberately posts incorrect information or dangerous methods in an attempt to start a fight/heated discussion/get people riled up in the forums.
  • LittleD311
    LittleD311 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have a question I have been eating very healthy a lots fruits and vegetable and lean meat and my average for the past week is only 500 calories I lost 5 lbs in 3 days! I'm running for 30 minutes a day and I do weight lifting! Is it bad to eat so low calories?

your starving your body! you need to eat at least 1200 calories per day!
  • DyanCB
    DyanCB Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Yes...my sister was on the "Dr. Assisted Diet" with the B12 shot, Adipex, and 500 calorie a day limit. She was walking every day for at least 20 min. She dropped 55 lbs in 4 1/2 months. She is recovering from a mini-stroke right now. She had it a few days ago, at the age of 27!!!! Her Potassium level and Electrolytes were almost non-existentent. I would not advise you doing this, at all.

THANK YOU for being so generous and sharing info about your sister. This is exactly what people need to hear about the non-weight related results of eating so little.
  • skm4jc
    skm4jc Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    If you're including plenty of meats and fruits in your diet, then there's no way you're only eating 500 calories/day. Fruit has lots of natural sugar, and obviously sugar = calories, and protein also has a higher caloric content. Make sure you're counting every nibble that goes in your mouth, even that small handful of grapes you just grabbed to nosh on. If you are genuinely eating only 500 cal/day, consider adding more cheeses and healthy grains (oatmeal, whole wheat bread, whole grain pastas, etc) to your diet. If all else fails, of course, talk to your doctor. A good doctor who is genuinely concerned about your personal well-being should be willing to sit down and work out a diet plan with you.

**ADDENDUM:** If you're referring to your NET caloric intake (i.e., what is subtracted after you've burned off calories working out), then it may not be as great a concern.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Yes...my sister was on the "Dr. Assisted Diet" with the B12 shot, Adipex, and 500 calorie a day limit. She was walking every day for at least 20 min. She dropped 55 lbs in 4 1/2 months. She is recovering from a mini-stroke right now. She had it a few days ago, at the age of 27!!!! Her Potassium level and Electrolytes were almost non-existentent. I would not advise you doing this, at all.

Any "doctor" who assists with or recommends this type of diet deserves to lose his or her medical license.

Electrolyte imbalances are often the cause of death for those suffering from EDs (Karen Carpenter comes to mind) .
  • SilMarillion
    Options

Is this a troll post?

Yes....Yes it is

Whats a troll post?

In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion
  • kiki2289
    Options

Is this a troll post?

Yes....Yes it is

Whats a troll post?

It's when someone deliberately posts incorrect information or dangerous methods in an attempt to start a fight/heated discussion/get people riled up in the forums.

That wasn't my plan at all!!! :s I am french maybe the way I phrase my sentence together sounds like that but its not!!! Don't fight pls!
  • gaiareeves
    gaiareeves Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    500 calories is less than the average anorexia/EDNOS sufferer consumes on a daily basis.

So yes, it's bad.
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I'm having a hard time imagining a normal person eating 500 calories on average, kind of wish your diary was open to view. I had gastric bypass about 3 weeks ago and I average 550 because I am still on liquids and soft (yogurt consistency) foods. Basically I can eat 4 ounces of food 5-6 times a day for example: I get a protein shake for breakfast, then a Greek yogurt, then a half cup of beans, then I eat an egg, then for dinner maybe a half cup of creamy soup with unflavored protein powder. If you are eating 3 times a day and eating fruits and veg and lean meat in normal portions you should be exceeding 500 easily. Maybe you need a new scale and are actually eating well and just measuring incorrectly? either way I'm glad to hear you are increasing your intake because it's just safer to lose weight at the rate of a pound or two a week through small deficit in calories and exercising then to try and lose it quick by being extreme.
  • kiki2289
    Options
    I'm having a hard time imagining a normal person eating 500 calories on average, kind of wish your diary was open to view. I had gastric bypass about 3 weeks ago and I average 550 because I am still on liquids and soft (yogurt consistency) foods. Basically I can eat 4 ounces of food 5-6 times a day for example: I get a protein shake for breakfast, then a Greek yogurt, then a half cup of beans, then I eat an egg, then for dinner maybe a half cup of creamy soup with unflavored protein powder. If you are eating 3 times a day and eating fruits and veg and lean meat in normal portions you should be exceeding 500 easily. Maybe you need a new scale and are actually eating well and just measuring incorrectly? either way I'm glad to hear you are increasing your intake because it's just safer to lose weight at the rate of a pound or two a week through small deficit in calories and exercising then to try and lose it quick by being extreme.
    Breakfast Calories Carbs Fat Protein
    Egg Whites - Boiled, 2 large egg white (33g) 34 0 0 8
    Fresh Fruit - Banana , 7 " - 8" 105 27 0 1
    Blackberries - Raw, 0.25 cup 15 3 0 1
    Add Food Quick Tools 154 30 0 10
    Lunch
    Add Food Quick Tools
    Dinner
    Asparagus - Cooked, boiled, drained, 2 spears (1/2" base) 7 1 0 1
    Mushrooms - Raw, 1 large 5 1 0 1
    Pc Organics (Canada) - Quinoa, 1/4 cup 170 31 3 5
    Vegetables - Green/Red/Yellow Bell Peppers , 0.25 cup 9 1 0 0
    Turkey - Extra Lean Ground, 0.25 cup cooked 60 0 1 13
    Ahron - Maple Sirup, 1 tbs 13 3 0 0
    Dempster's - 100% Whole Wheat Bread, 1 slices (71 g) 90 17 1 4
    Large - Egg, 0.25 egg (53g) 18 0 1 2
    Add Food Quick Tools 372 54 6 26
    Snacks
    Add Food Quick Tools

Totals 526 84 6 36
    Your Daily Goal 1,445 198 48 54
    Remaining 919 114 42 18

That's one of my day...
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Well if you're struggling to eat your calories then the two obvious things that jump out are eating the egg yolk (yummy AND healthy) and eating lunch.
  • Geeky_Girl
    Geeky_Girl Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Another thing to keep in mind is you may lose more weight by increasing your calories. I bumped my calorie intake up and that's what happened to me. :)

Also, try eating lunch or lots of small meals throughout the day (fruit and veggies as snacks between 200-300 cals meals are a great way to start getting used to increasing your calories if that's not something you've gotten the hang of yet). I know of several people who have had the same problem (eating too few calories) and they just start small and add healthy choices throughout the day.

If it takes a while to get to the healthy range of calorie intake, I would suggest taking some vitamins too. I'm not a doctor or anything, so this is just a suggestion. Good luck! :)
  • picimadar
    picimadar Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Another thing to keep in mind is you may lose more weight by increasing your calories. I bumped my calorie intake up and that's what happened to me. :)

Also, try eating lunch or lots of small meals throughout the day (fruit and veggies as snacks between 200-300 cals meals are a great way to start getting used to increasing your calories if that's not something you've gotten the hang of yet). I know of several people who have had the same problem (eating too few calories) and they just start small and add healthy choices throughout the day.

If it takes a while to get to the healthy range of calorie intake, I would suggest taking some vitamins too. I'm not a doctor or anything, so this is just a suggestion. Good luck! :)

She's not gonna lose more than 4lb in 3 days (or whatever) by eating more. She's going to get slower, sustainable loss.
  • Bearman45
    Bearman45 Posts: 46
    Options
    Definitely eat more! When our body doesn't get enough intake, there are a few things that happen. They seem good at first, but in the long run will not get you to where you want to be. And as others have pointed out, it may even be dangerous for you.

Fat is good. Our bodies use it to fuel nearly everything we do to live. But there are three kinds of fat in our bodies: structural fat, which, along with bone and muscle form our bodies, normal fat, which is required as fuel and should always be present, and abnormal fat. It's the last one that is the problem and ironically, is the hardest one to get rid of.

Our bodies turn excess food into sugar which is then processed into fat and stored deep in our cells. Outwardly, it becomes our "love handles", "pot bellies", "thunder thighs", insert whatever name you like. When we starve ourselves, our body panics. It thinks we're in the midst of a famine or poor hunting season. We are, after all, hunter gatherers. As a result, it slows itself down to conserve fuel. Translate that to, your metabolism drops into neutral! It then starts to store even more fat for later use.

If the starvation continues, your body starts to burn internal fuel. The most readily available is muscle. Then normal fat, then structural fat, THEN abnormal fat. So by the time you begin to lose those love handles, you've already lost structure and tone. You begin to look gaunt, even ill, and your energy level is down. And again, all sorts of bad things are happening inside your body as it fights to stay healthy.

Over the first 48-72 hours, you'll loose up to eight or nine pounds. Wow! This is great! But it's all water and in subsequent days the weight loss will virtually stop while your body decides what to do. Then the structural stuff happens.

When you do eat, your body will store it up for "a rainy day". And you gain. At this point, your body actually will work VERY hard to get itself back to what it thinks is normal. So if someone weighs say, 200 pounds for years and suddenly drops to 180 pounds by starving, the body will actively seek to get back to 200 pounds, to get back to "normal". When it does, it'll actually overshoot the mark as a precaution for the next "famine". And the yo-yo begins.

So unless you're on some kind of hormone therapy that changes the way your body responds (that's a whole other topic!), then you need to do as others have suggested: eat 1,500 calories a day, exercise, drink lots of water, and get at least seven hours of sleep each night.

While you're eating healthy, keep a food journal. MFP is perfect for that. On days that you gain weight, look back at your journal to see what foods you ate. By doing this you will learn what foods cause YOU to gain weight, and what foods keep you stable. Pay attention to the glycemic index of the foods you eat. Foods with a high index will turn to sugar in your body very quickly, which translates to weight gain. They will spike your blood sugar and trigger insulin production which will store fat. These are things like, potatoes and pasta. Wheat and sugar in general will not help you if consumed in large quantities.

I'm no expert. Not even close, so take my comments accordingly. Just a guy who started paying attention to what I put into my body, and how my body reacts. You've started a great journey for yourself! Be sensible, and keep asking for support!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have a question I have been eating very healthy a lots fruits and vegetable and lean meat and my average for the past week is only 500 calories I lost 5 lbs in 3 days! I'm running for 30 minutes a day and I do weight lifting! Is it bad to eat so low calories?
    You aren't likely to get enough protein, minerals, vitamins and essential fats within that amount of calories.

I wouldn't say it's impossible but there are fats that you need to eat for health as the body can't make them. So it isn't a long term strategy unless you are certain you're getting all the required nutrition within what you eat or from supplements.

Of course you don't need to eat 1200 or any other magic number, but you need to eat enough of the right things. If you have a reasonable amount of excess fat to go at you can provide calories from that, within reason.
This discussion has been closed.