Mom of 4 plus 2 stepchildren - needs friends for journey!

Options
I'm new on this site. I have been trying for about a year to loss the weight that makes me "overweight" in the eyes of the medical field. I weighed 192 lbs a year ago, now down to 169. I've gone from obese to just overweight says my doctor. I am no longer in the "pre-diabetic stages" and I notice my energy levels coming back.

My life is complicated. My husband is a Type 1 diabetic with stage 4 kidney failure, CHF, two eye surgeries, and a ton of health issues from all this. He hates to exercise even after 24 yrs in the military. I have four biological children (17, 13, 5, 3) and two stressful stepchildren (13 & 11). My children are all very active in sports, BSA, 4H, etc. I spend my days running all kids around to their activities or my husband to all his doctor appointments. I try to get to the gym were I can, but I also take care of 8 of the 20 acres we live on with my in-laws.

So busy life equals SLOW weight loss! Would love to make friends with others that understand the weight loss journey too!

Replies

• dlf88
    dlf88 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me!
  • jodyg1313
    jodyg1313 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Mother of 5 involved kids, selling a house, buying a house, getting re-married in September and my oldest is getting married in October. COMPLETELY understand where you are coming from. I did very well at losing weight last year, then gained all but 5 back because of some health issues and stress. Would love to team up to work on getting down to where I want to be!

I would also love to communicate about how to motivate our significant others. My soon-to-be husband is overweight, starting to have some health concerns, is a picky eater (NO veggies allowed!) and is not motivated to exercise. However, he is a truly kind and generous guy and I would like to keep him around, so I need to figure out how to help him become motivated to live a healthier lifestyle.
  • kathyszoo
    kathyszoo Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    cameronsquad-you should be very proud of what you've already lost even with so much going on!

jody-know what you mean about motivating significant other! I'm a mother of 2 (27 & 24) and step-mom too(28, 22, and 21).

My husband is also pretty much no veggies allowed, does get some physical activity on the job but doesn't want to be more active or make diet changes. My biggest accomplishment w/him food-wise was to get rid of the white bread!!! Try more salads-that worked with my husband, even though he doesn't like veggies, he'll do a big salad w/radishes and carrots as long as I add some cheese and meat. Activity-wise he sometimes comes to the gym w/me and goes in the pool because he knows the hot tub there awaits when he's done!
  • shawna_h74
    shawna_h74 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi, my name's Shawna. I'm a mom of 5 kids as well, 4 girls and 1 boy! Ages 18, 11, 5, 3 1/2 and 10 months. They keep me very busy, so I hear you on the slow weight loss! I'm still breastfeeding too, so that doesn't help! I'm just starting to wean, so I have the water retention from Aunt Flo, lol. Frustrating as I go to the gym 5 days a week and watch what I eat, but one week a month the scale goes up instead of down!!!

I recently started taking and promoting Visalus (Body by Vi) supplements. My husband is big into weightlifting - I used to be and am just getting back into it), so he takes the protein powder for muscle recovery and to build lean muscle. I take two shakes a day cuz with 5 kids I don't have time to make myself lunch and would skip breakfast or force myself to eat toast or cereal which isn't that healthy! I've lost 5 lbs in 2 weeks on these shakes and my grocery bill has gone down. I love that I can still sit down and eat supper with the family too. I'm hoping to be able to stay home with my kids and make this my full-time business! I love their products and it's a great company to work for so far. I even give the shakes/smoothies to my kids cuz it's healthier than Pediasure/Ensure.

If you're interested check out my wesbite - shawnashakesit.myvi.net

Feel free to add me on here too! :-)