WTF?!

Options
I ate 1 freaking soft taco and the scale jumped 3 freaking lbs! I don't understand!!!!!! *Waaaaaaaaah*:sad:

Replies

• Taradise
    Taradise Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    my guess is water weight. Was said taco from a fast food chain - maybe had lots of sodium. Give it a few days.
  • JStarnes
    JStarnes Posts: 5,576 Member
    Options
    Water weight. :ohwell: It's not fun.
  • rachelmommy1
    Options
    No, home made. Lean ground beef, tomato salsa, lettuce and a small pinch of cheese in a flour tortilla....and just 1! I've eaten chicken strip dinners and not had this trouble! AND I deliberately ate super clean that whole day because i wanted one! Grrrrrr i'm so frustrated! 1 step forward and 3 steps back!
  • carrieberrie
    carrieberrie Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    No, home made. Lean ground beef, tomato salsa, lettuce and a small pinch of cheese in a flour tortilla....and just 1! I've eaten chicken strip dinners and not had this trouble! AND I deliberately ate super clean that whole day because i wanted one! Grrrrrr i'm so frustrated! 1 step forward and 3 steps back!

Did you weigh yourself after you ate????
  • rachelmommy1
    Options
    no, this morning.
  • ShellyLee
    ShellyLee Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I went from 156.6 yesterday to 155.2 today (no exercise except taking the dog for a walk)... but then I realized I'd eaten at my friends house sunday night. She'd made butternut squash turkey chili.. very healthy and tasty, but seeing as we didn't use low sodium stuff and it was canned beans, etc.. I have to assume while it was pretty low cal it was packed with sodium. Next time we make it we plan to use low sodium tomato sauce and chicken broth. I've never seen such a huge jump personally, but it's VERY rare that I even come close to my sodium amount that MFP gives me.
    Don't let it discourage you. Everyone varies from day to day, some more than others.
  • 1Sweets
    1Sweets Posts: 395
    Options
    I hear your pain...seems when I eat carbs my weight either goes up or stays on & on. Maybe some people are more pron to carb gain? Is there such a thing? What's up with that?:sad:
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    Come on people-- these are just numbers-- brush it off and move on--

Onward and upward-- make wise choices, count your calories, move your booty-- the number on the scale is less important than what you're doing for your body--

Mind over matter, my friends--

Signed,
    Marla
    The girl who's been on a plateau for a year--
  • vanimami
    vanimami Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Come on people-- these are just numbers-- brush it off and move on--

Onward and upward-- make wise choices, count your calories, move your booty-- the number on the scale is less important than what you're doing for your body--

Mind over matter, my friends--

Signed,
    Marla
    The girl who's been on a plateau for a year--

Agreed, PLUS your weight actually fluctuates throughout the week, so that's probably what happended. One day I'm at a weight the next day up 2 pounds, next day down 3 pounds...it happens. Maybe try just weighing yourself once a week...don't get obsessed over it. Plus, like Marla said, all that's important is what you're doing to your body. :flowerforyou:
  • marissa4354
    Options
    Ground beef takes longer for your body to digest then chicken. I once heard ground beef takes up to 3 days!
  • mscedeno83
    Options
    drink a lot of water and wait a day or two
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    no, this morning.

you can't gain 3lbs overnight thats 10,500 calories
  • amccarville
    Options
    this is why I weigh once a week, dont need for the added stress of seeing those numbers everyday. No point in putting yourself threw that.
  • ShellyLee
    ShellyLee Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    this is why I weigh once a week, dont need for the added stress of seeing those numbers everyday. No point in putting yourself threw that.

I weigh myself every to every other day.. it all depends on your personality. If you're the kind of person that's gonna stress if you have a day or two were it appears you've gained weight then it's not the way to go for you. I on the other hand don't stress or do anything different if I have a day or two (or even a week) where it's higher than the last. I like getting on almost daily when I'm dieting and trying to loose... it keeps me motivated, but I don't stress about it. I DON'T get on if I can't get on first thing in the morning after using the bathroom.. preferably close to naked.
  • klybarger
    klybarger Posts: 214
    Options
    Remain calm - this too shall pass :) The evil scale will show something different in the near future.

I know it's disappointing, but remember that overall you're eating better and, in the long run, you will see a positive (or is it negative) change on the scale numbers.

PS - thinking that maybe salt may not be your friend
  • rachelmommy1
    Options
    apparently not. :(
    and i only weigh myself on mondays and fridays. today since i got so freaked at the huge change, i'm only eating my "safe foods"....ie, apple with pb for breakfast, leafy salad for lunch and dinner and nothing but my water and green tea beverage wise.

3 days to digest beef? Are you serious!? Yuck!

and really, this isn't a major freakout this is "why does my body do that?" and i know i'm not the only person to have been so disappointed after such hard work. :)

thanks for your advice everyone. back on the horse and time to look into MUCH healthier protein choices!!!!
  • carrieberrie
    carrieberrie Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    apparently not. :(
    and i only weigh myself on mondays and fridays. today since i got so freaked at the huge change, i'm only eating my "safe foods"....ie, apple with pb for breakfast, leafy salad for lunch and dinner and nothing but my water and green tea beverage wise.

3 days to digest beef? Are you serious!? Yuck!

and really, this isn't a major freakout this is "why does my body do that?" and i know i'm not the only person to have been so disappointed after such hard work. :)

thanks for your advice everyone. back on the horse and time to look into MUCH healthier protein choices!!!!

Its not fat that you gained. It takes eating over 3500 calories to gain a pound of fat, body weight changes all the time, dont worry about it!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Talk yourself down.

things to remember:

to gain 3 lbs of fat (or muscle, or bone...etc) you need to eat the equivalent amount of food, 1 taco does not 3 lbs make, EVER!

The human body fluctuates EVERY SINGLE DAY, up to 5 lbs. This is a relatively arbitrary number, there are a lot of factors that cause this, predicting it is pretty much impossible.

If you really want to weigh yourself multiple times a week, fine, but do it this way:
    Weigh yourself every day, on the same scale, naked, at the same time of day, for 3 days. Add the 3 weights and divide by 3, that's a much more realistic weight than 1 time. The more days you add to the average, the more accurate that number will be.

And NO it doesn't take ground beef 3 days to pass through your system. Sometimes, with steaks, some small part of the steak can take a long time to FINISH the process, but that doesn't mean the whole thing sits in your stomach for 3 days, just that it takes longer from start to finish.

The moral of the story is, weight is a MACRO-metric. This means weight is a way to judge progress in the broad sense, but too much fluctuation to look that carefully at it.

-Banks
  • rachelmommy1
    Options
    Thanks, that's actually a really good idea. Today is another day after all, and i guess my first order of business it to reduce my salt.......alot. Methinks water retention has a hand in this. After all, I bumped up my water to 1gal a day and didn't change my salt.......god i hope it's all water weight!!!!!

Thanks for talking me down guys!