Ugh. Trying...failing...trying...failing...

Options
2»

Replies

• BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    You have not CHOSEN to live healthier.

Until you do, you won't

Edit: 90% of your journey is mental. Realize what you want. Visualize what you want. Choose to do it. Act upon the choices that get you there (because you can choose to, but without action, you get nothing). And you will succeed
  • carrieo888
    carrieo888 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    The good news is you don't have to be perfect, you just have to be better.

Here's how I started:

1) tracking for a couple of weeks before I worried about losing.
    (although seeing what I was eating I couldn't help but rein back a bit)

2) seeing where I could make small changes on things that weren't that important to me.
    (Don't even think of taking chocolate out of my diet!!!)
    --Reducing quantities where I won't notice it so much
    --Swapping out things instead of eliminating them.

3) Look at my diary and started adding foods that had positive healthy effects specifically for the health issue in my family.
    I found most of the things I "should" add were really yummy too! salmon, avocado, oatmeal, mango, red grapes....
    (Sort of think of food as medicine to deal with family history of various health issue oatmeal is good for heart health, mango and red grapes lower cholesterol, tumeric and cinnamon good for arthritis)

4) every couple of weeks I see where I can make another couple of small changes.
    If you completely revamp your diet, it's way easy to revert to old ways in times of stress. (and who doesn't have stress?)
    If you make a series of small changes, food still offers you some sense of comfort.
    sort of a comfort continuum, and after a while the first small changes will seem comforting in themselves.
    You don't have to be perfect you just have to do better.

5) also rather than being uberstrict with the target MFP set for me. I was happier once I gave myself a range:

ROCK BOTTOM: 1200 cal
    TARGET: MFP Calories for lose 1 lb a week (when that hit 1200 I changed to lose 1/2 lb per week)
    TOP OF RANGE: Maintain Calories for my GOAL Weight.
    (SAFETY VALVE: Maintain Calories for CURRENT Weight - remember to keep updating this number as you lose)

I naturally tended to do 2-4 days between 1200-1300 cal then a day at about 1500-1600 cal then back to the 1200-1300 cal. (No hard science here, but I credit the zig-zagging calories with preventing plateaus.)

--As long as I stayed under the top of my range I should continue to lose, even if it is at a slower rate.
    --As long as I don't go past my safety valve I shouldn't gain.

BUT... The closer you get to your goal the smaller your range. (frustrating)

6) I only worry about it 1 lb at a time.
    Once I found ways to lessen the stress, I found it way easier to focus on the process and let the results follow. (It's what worked for me some people need the stress to get them motivated. Me I get scared and overwhelmed and don't see the big goal as achievable. )

Food is not the enemy.

Oddly enough on my journey here I've reduced guilt over food.
    I have the occasional treat and I fully enjoy it with no guilt involved.
    The thing is since I'm not eating crap all the time, now the occasional treat is just that a TREAT it's special and I enjoy it so much more than when I was unconsciously shovel junk food into my face.

I figure if I've got a good plan that I can actually maintain I can keep this off for a long time to come, without feeling deprived.

Good Luck

THIS THIS THIS!!!! Especially: Don't worry about fixing everything all at once, just do a little something every day to be BETTER.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    The number one thing to do when you move into your own place is to not have junk food. I never buy junk food. I do keep a few low calorie treats if I have a craving. I typically have Skinny Cow frozen treats, sugar free Jello Pudding (single serving) and if you are a cheese girl like I am, Sargentos. I find that Sargentos is the same as the weight watchers cheese only a lot less money.

I have been doing something new and it really helps. I have 2 fruits, 2 veggies and 2 liters of water every day. Even if I am not hungry in the afternoon, I will eat an apple.

AMEN, SISTER !
  • GymAnJuice
    GymAnJuice Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    this is what one of my mfp's commented when i said i couldn't get my head back in the game..."Nope with that attitude you can't... It's not that you can't, you just won't lol. You CAN and if you tell yourself you can instead of "Can't" then you will. Stop saying you can't, because you can you just have to want it, commitment is taking no excuses, interest only last's till you find something else to put your interest in. If you are serious, then take no excuses, only expect results. You CAN do it!" Hope that helps :flowerforyou:
  • JmeHarris
    JmeHarris Posts: 38
    Options
    As someone who spent her 20's and early 30's gaining and losing and gaining even more, all I can tell you is stop. Stop making yourself crazy about the weight thing. I'm positive I gained more weight simply because I was so down on myself about not being able to lose a few pounds. Now I've beaten myself up til I'm up to 220. I wish I could go back to my early 20's and tell myself to just maintain or something and be happy with what my maturing body wanted to be instead of some magazine perfect figure that I thought it should be.
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    You have not CHOSEN to live healthier.

Until you do, you won't

Edit: 90% of your journey is mental. Realize what you want. Visualize what you want. Choose to do it. Act upon the choices that get you there (because you can choose to, but without action, you get nothing). And you will succeed

this is 100% true. every pound you lose or gain is the result of choices that YOU make. yes, its always going to be easier to eat crap and lounge on the couch playing video games. if you want easy, you will be unhealthy. you have to dig deep within yourself and find the real reasons you want to get healthy. you should write those reasons down so you have something to refer to whenever your mind starts sabotaging your journey to good health. if you want an example of what to do, see my profile.
  • beachdiva2010
    beachdiva2010 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I would suggest looking up the group, 'eat more to weigh less." Until I listened to the fabulous people, I played with the same 3 pounds up and down for 6 months. Once you understand the basics of BMR and TDEE, you will do fantastic!! If I can help you any further, send me a message.

Good luck!!
  • shae68143
    shae68143 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I myself have spent all of my 20's and thus far into my early 30's doing the same thing, until now. I figured out what I want, set a small attainable goal and stuck to it. You can do like I did and think of it as though it's no longer an option to not work out/move, eat right and occassionally treat yourself. It has helped me, and I'm 3 weeks in to a work out regimen and feel so great! I have at least 100 lbs to lose, so anyone and everyone can add me to help motivate one another.

I like how auntiebabs put it all out that, it's clear and to the point. I wish you ALL a great success in your journeys

Shae
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Back up your words with actions.
  • 2012asv
    2012asv Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work" Thomas Edison.
  • freshprincessx
    freshprincessx Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    You sound a lot like me. I've recently started working out and living a healthier lifestyle but before I swear to you, it felt like I tried dieting through my whole life. I never really realized how unhealthy I was being until my doctor told me I was pre-diabetic and said my triglycerides were triple the amount of the average person. It takes a lot of hard to work to stay away from fast foods, considering I used to basically live off of McDonald's and Burger King. I also play video games ALL THE TIME. I would rather play them then go for a walk, trust me. But once I actually start walking, I feel 10x better. I haven't touched any fried food or soda for almost two months, and I feel so accomplished. If I can do it, you can definitely do it. You just gotta keep trying! You can do it! Good luck!
  • Seb3
    Seb3 Posts: 26
    Options
    This will be my third time trying to lose weight. Other things kept getting in the way (like school, sleeping in, video games, Taco Bell...) and I keep giving up. Now I've graduated college, moving into my own apartment, and I need motivation. I'm ready to start the next adventure in my life, hopefully about 30 pounds lighter. I need some friends on here to help me out!

I realise this has probably been suggested to you before, but you have tried HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training)?
  • Miss_Suzylee
    Options
    hey! i live in nebraska too-im in omaha. adding you!
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,101 Member
    Options
    I also need motivation. This is my second time doing myfitness pal. I have been keeping a better track of what I eat and loggin them in. I am a stay at home mom and going to attend college. Since I started this program, I gained 3 to 4 lbs. Wow!!! That's what I thought. No wonder I felt bigger and heavier. I try to do some work outs; like sit ups and some cardio. I just need some motivation. I know it's not easy for me, so I am asking for any advice that you have to offer. Thank you!

It appears your problem is in the sentence: "I try to do some workouts; like sit ups and some cardio." That sounds to me like you aren't being consistent . I found I needed to run 3 times a week and get serious cardio before I saw the results...and, it took a couple of months doing that before I saw much. But, then, it started coming off so fast I was flabbergasted. So, I suggest you schedule yourself some exercise time 3 - 5 days a week and stick to it.