What kind of salad dressing do you use?

Options
I try to eat a salad every day at lunch - it's an easy way to get in my needed veggies. :smile: However, now that I'm starting to pay attention to more than just the food groups that I'm eating, such as sodium, I noticed that my salad dressing has waaaaaay too much sodium in it. It has 620 mg of sodium to be exact (eek!!!). Now that I know that, I need/want to switch out my dressings and I want something with some flavor to it. I tried Paul Newman's olive oil and vinegar - blech. It just didn't do it for me. Not enough zing/flavor. Soooo.... what kind of dressing do you use on your salad?

Replies

• klybarger
    klybarger Posts: 214
    Options
    I use the Wishbone Spritzers. I haven't checked the sodium on them but they have some tasty flavors. Good luck in finding something you like!
  • TuscanySun
    TuscanySun Posts: 3,608 Member
    Options
    Kraft Light Raspberry Vinaigrette Reduced Fat dressing (typing the long name burns extra calories, right??)

I also like Newmans Own Balsamic Vinaigrette
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,992 Member
    Options
    Newman's Own Balsamic Vinaigrette
    I just use one TBS and it has 175 mg of sodium

Beware of the low fat and no fat dressings.....they tend to have more sugar and more sodium

A regular dressing made with olive oil gives you good fat that you need so it's worth it.
  • Ripgirl
    Ripgirl Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I use Litehouse but haven't checked the sodium.

I love their Balsamic vinegarette, also Red Wine & Olive Oil. If I'm going to splurge, I love their Chunky Blue Cheese. Their dressings are so flavourful and I'm getting used to using much less than I used to, that I often find myself using less than 1 serving (2 TBSPS) on a huge salad, so the calorie hit isn't so bad.

You find them in the produce section, in a cooler.
  • lisam829
    lisam829 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    wish bone spritzers ranch- 10 sprays is 15 calories and 70 mg of sodium. MUCH better than traditional ranch dressing
  • AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    Just Red Wine Vinegar and pepper. Really good and virtually calorie and sodium FREE!
  • jaydeangel
    Options
    I use All Seasons light honey mustard. It has only 260mg of sodium and 80 calories per serving. But the serving size is 2 tbsp. I only use half that. So its 130mg of sodium and 40 calories that I use of salad dressing per salad.
  • kicklikeaGIRL
    kicklikeaGIRL Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of caesar dressing...and I really like Kraft's Caesar Vinegarette W/ Parmesean. For the serving size of 2 TBSP it has 430 mg of sodium (and 70 calories). I typically only use 1 TBSP (35 calories) because it is really flavorful. I've tried some other vinegarettes and had a hard time enjoying the salad. I'm kind of picky when it comes to my salad dressing.
  • ShellyLee
    ShellyLee Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Newman's Own Balsamic Vinaigrette
    I just use one TBS and it has 175 mg of sodium

Beware of the low fat and no fat dressings.....they tend to have more sugar and more sodium

A regular dressing made with olive oil gives you good fat that you need so it's worth it.

I use this one (Newman's Own Balsamic Vinaigrette) as well. I'm totally a ranch girl at heart and don't like many of the bottled dressings.. and can't STAND light ranch. A little dressing goes a LONG way.. many people over dress their salads and don't realize until after it's already caked in dressing.
  • mernab
    mernab Posts: 1
    Options
    If you like zing, try balsamic vinegar (not cheap), fresh lemon juice or a good quality red wine vinegar. Use fresh garlic and lots of freshly ground pepper (there are some interesting whole pepper blends out there on the market; you can also add a dash of cayenne if you like it hot). Mix up a batch and add 1/2 the amount of good quality olive oil as the vinegar or lemon juice. It's tangy but it gets the job done. With lots of zing. (keep it in the fridge if you use fresh lemon juice).
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    You can make your own using 1 part olive oil, 1 part balsamic or red wine vinager, and garlic powder (not garlic salt), or fresh garlic to taste.
  • lindsayrose
    Options
    Bolthouse Farms has some really good dressing that are low calorie and low sodium. The two I have tried have 95mg and 140mg of sodium per 2 tbsp and 30 to 50 calories. They don't really even taste light. I also noticed they have some with added omega-3s. I found these dressings in the produce area.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I make my own!!
  • tanya7712
    tanya7712 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I switch between Olive oil and Vinegar, salt and pepper and Sunflower Oil, salt and Pepper. Lately I have been preffering Sunflower Oil.
  • Arienna
    Arienna Posts: 913
    Options
    I use just red vinegar as well, it's yummy!
  • cheri03
    cheri03 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Try Bolthouse Yogurt dressings, sold where refridgerated dressings are located. YUM! Lower in calories, fat, sodium.
  • SturgeonGal
    Options
    Be creative .. try a couple of table spoons of your favorite salsa.. I have put t on everything from a green salad of veggies to one with plain tuna in it and it gives the salad a little zip and flavor with only 30-40 calories... I use the Safeway Southwest meduim salsa.. :drinker:
    Or squeeze on a little fresh lemon or orange ... raspberry vinegerette works good on a salad with chicken, apple and cranberries...
    now I am gettign hungry...LOL
  • cassandra1220
    cassandra1220 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Farmer Boy Greek Dressing- only 10mg of sodium and 25 calories for 2 Tbsp! Its awesome on salads, as a marinade, or a veggie dip.
  • CrystalT
    CrystalT Posts: 862 Member
    Options

Plus, fat isn't always bad. You need to have some fat in your salad in order to absorb all the fat soluble vitamins in the veggies. I say go for the real stuff, just in moderation.
  • jlefton1212
    jlefton1212 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I like Trader Joe's Tuscan Italian or Newman's Own Lighten Up Honey Mustard.