How often do you go over your calorie limit?

Options

Replies

• islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I go over when ever I go for Chinese food. I still do it, I do extra exercise that week and just wait till it is worth it.
  • douglasmobbs
    douglasmobbs Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    never so far. Far too worried about one day turning into two turning into a week etc. I know this is something that I will have to deal with once at my goal weight, but leaving that problem for later on is helping me keep up my weight loss at the moment.
  • SteffieMark
    SteffieMark Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    Not once, yet. I am pretty OCD about it though. I don't have cheat meals or cheat days either. I am a creature of habit and it just works best for me to keep it the same boring way, all the time. =D
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,264 Member
    Options
    Quite often actually, but I aim to hit my goal and not be too far under. In my opinion, that is just as important as not eating too much. So, I am often over my goal within 100 or so calories.
  • kaji13
    kaji13 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Well it depends what you are using for your limit? MFP has me at 1200 so I go over everyday :tongue: I try to stay within my BMR though

Yep-MFP tells me 1200 a day, but that's not my "real" goal. So I'm over almost every day. But I'm one of those people who sets their alarm clock 10 minutes ahead so I can pretend that I'm still getting up at the same time after I hit the snooze button.

You guys can change your goals to whatever you want. MFP had me at 1200, but my BMR is more like 1450, so I changed my goal to that. That way it's not confusing or discouraging when you see red numbers, and you have a more accurate reflection of what you should be consuming each day for protein, fiber, etc. (though I customized those as well)
  • NanaKK1234
    NanaKK1234 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I do on the weekends, but NEVER during the week. With that being said I am still losing roughly 3 pounds a week :happy: :happy:
  • SavageFeast
    SavageFeast Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    All the dang time. Working on it, though :smile:
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    I'm just curious because in the almost four weeks that I've been using MFP I have never gone over. I hit my goal this week and I'm thinking about getting going to the Chinese Buffet tomorrow.

Daily? Quite a bit. Weekly? Almost never. I don't worry if my daily calories are over, so long as my weekly average is correct. Your body doesn't run your totals from midnight to midnight, like my FitBit does.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I'm just curious because in the almost four weeks that I've been using MFP I have never gone over. I hit my goal this week and I'm thinking about getting going to the Chinese Buffet tomorrow.
    As long as you go back to healthy eating and moderation the day after, go for it.
  • deaddivya
    deaddivya Posts: 102
    Options
    Almost never. I'm always pretty close to my limit.
  • Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options

I go over all the time....sometimes by a few cals sometimes by a lot...but if you look at my week as a whole I am consistent..

There are a lot of strategies to eat buffets...Cause I do that myself.

1) You could run in the AM to have extra cals to eat
    2) You could eat a light breakfast, light lunch and prep for you buffet dinner or maybe it is for lunch
    3) You can not give a dang about cals...and kick butt going forward...It's not like you will all of a sudden gain 20 lbs.

As long as you are not hitting up a buffet every week and going over Cals constantly,....No biggie.
  • kitinboots
    kitinboots Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Maybe once a week or less. I had trouble sticking to 1200 and would often try and squeeze extra exercise calories (cleaning anyone?) to justify my appetite. I upped my calories to 1400 and now I only go over if I go to a party and drink.
  • Brizoeller
    Brizoeller Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I eat about 1900 a day, so not often lol. When I was on 1200 i went over once every couple weeks as my "cheat" day. Now i find i don't deprive myself of anything so I don't need a cheat day.
  • srpm
    srpm Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I try to keep my weekly and monthly averages as close to my goal as possible, my weekly average is usually over whenever we travel or have people visit but I try to make up for it by keeping myself in line the rest of the month.
  • k2quiere
    k2quiere Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options

I go over all the time....sometimes by a few cals sometimes by a lot...but if you look at my week as a whole I am consistent..

2) You could eat a light breakfast, light lunch and prep for you buffet dinner or maybe it is for lunch
    3) You can not give a dang about cals...and kick butt going forward...It's not like you will all of a sudden gain 20 lbs.

As long as you are not hitting up a buffet every week and going over Cals constantly,....No biggie.

Don't let him fool you; he's only over because he steals food from his friends' diaries!
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    Almost daily :)

thank you for saying that! I was beginning to think I was the only one.

I tend to go over by 50 to 200 calories most days, but I'm still able to maintain, so I don't stress about it. :happy:
  • Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options

Don't let him fool you; he's only over because he steals food from his friends' diaries!

Shhh! LOL! :wink:
  • sazzyp1973
    sazzyp1973 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    every now and then but when I do - well I do big time ;o)
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options

Daily? Quite a bit. Weekly? Almost never. I don't worry if my daily calories are over, so long as my weekly average is correct. Your body doesn't run your totals from midnight to midnight, like my FitBit does.
    This. I go over pretty often, but I am under pretty often. It balances out.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Well it depends what you are using for your limit? MFP has me at 1200 so I go over everyday :tongue: I try to stay within my BMR though

Yep-MFP tells me 1200 a day, but that's not my "real" goal. So I'm over almost every day. But I'm one of those people who sets their alarm clock 10 minutes ahead so I can pretend that I'm still getting up at the same time after I hit the snooze button.

You guys can change your goals to whatever you want. MFP had me at 1200, but my BMR is more like 1450, so I changed my goal to that. That way it's not confusing or discouraging when you see red numbers, and you have a more accurate reflection of what you should be consuming each day for protein, fiber, etc. (though I customized those as well)

Yeah-I have left mine at 1200 because when I see red I know it's time to be careful. When I was actually netting 1200 a day-I had a good gap between there and maintenance-so I wasn't too worried if I went over. Now-I'm much closer and there's not so much leeway. The red indicates I need to actually pay attention to what I shovel in my mouth for the rest of the day. I generally just aim for my weekly average on the graph to be in the range I'm looking for anyway. I could change it to my "actual" goal-but I think this makes me a little more cognizant - but I'm well aware it's really no different than my approach with the alarm clock lol.