Questions about Gluten/Wheat reduction

Options
fiveohmike
fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
Hey Guys,

Question about grain/wheat/gluten reduction. I am thinking about lowering my intake of these types of items due to some associated risks that run in my family. I was doing really great with the Paleo/Primal diet a year or so back, but couldn't stick with it (tried for 2 months) because I wasnt getting enough calories.

How/what do you use to reach your calorie goals without spiking your fat intake?

Right now I am eating about 3k calories a day, and losing at about .5-1lb a week. But I want to start substituting some starchy foods out along with reducing my sodium intake.

What do you recommend?

Replies

• ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Bump...I would like to hear this too...
  • KarinFit4Life
    KarinFit4Life Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Oh Id love to know too! Its the "without spiking your fat" part that worries me.....
  • hayley0181
    hayley0181 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if you want to reduce all carbs or not but I've replaced wheat with lots of potatoes and rice.
  • purplegoboom
    purplegoboom Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I am gluten free, have been for about a year now. If I eat anything with gluten in it, I feel absolutly miserable and it affects my moods, as well. I actually get incredibly depressed if I eat too much of a food with gluten in it. Eating a gluten free diet is actually not as hard as many make it out to be.

First, I don't "sub" bread products. I've just learned to live without them, instead of going crazy finding a substitute for wheat bread, which costs a whole lot and probably won't taste as good.

For most hot sandwich fillings, I eat them on a baked potato or by themselves. For cold sandwich fillings, a bed of salad. In fact, usually I just roll up slices of deli turkey and dip it in vinegarettes and that's my lunch along with some veggies, and sometimes beans. Hearty soups like black bean and chicken noodle (made with quinoa pasta or rice) are filling and loaded with protein and veggies. I also eat alot of eggs, boiled, scrambled, or as omlettes with loads of veggies and maybe some ham. Hamburgers and such? I just eat with a knife and fork, usually with some homemade gravy.

Rice chex is gluten free. I usually take a full box, grind the cereal up in my food processor, and use them as bread crumbs. Cheap, easy solution.

The blog chocolate covered katie has loads of ideas for gluten free desserts which I use.

I have no idea if this will help you at all, but this is what works for me. I stay full throughout the day and don't starve, so I must be doing something right.
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if you want to reduce all carbs or not but I've replaced wheat with lots of potatoes and rice.

Ya I am not looking to run lo-carb, just get away from wheat/wheat glutens
  • Astacia74
    Astacia74 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I am gluten free, have been for about a year now. If I eat anything with gluten in it, I feel absolutly miserable and it affects my moods, as well. I actually get incredibly depressed if I eat too much of a food with gluten in it. Eating a gluten free diet is actually not as hard as many make it out to be.

First, I don't "sub" bread products. I've just learned to live without them, instead of going crazy finding a substitute for wheat bread, which costs a whole lot and probably won't taste as good.

For most hot sandwich fillings, I eat them on a baked potato or by themselves. For cold sandwich fillings, a bed of salad. In fact, usually I just roll up slices of deli turkey and dip it in vinegarettes and that's my lunch along with some veggies, and sometimes beans. Hearty soups like black bean and chicken noodle (made with quinoa pasta or rice) are filling and loaded with protein and veggies. I also eat alot of eggs, boiled, scrambled, or as omlettes with loads of veggies and maybe some ham. Hamburgers and such? I just eat with a knife and fork, usually with some homemade gravy.

Rice chex is gluten free. I usually take a full box, grind the cereal up in my food processor, and use them as bread crumbs. Cheap, easy solution.

The blog chocolate covered katie has loads of ideas for gluten free desserts which I use.

I have no idea if this will help you at all, but this is what works for me. I stay full throughout the day and don't starve, so I must be doing something right.

^THIS^
  • purplegoboom
    Options

Ya I am not looking to run lo-carb, just get away from wheat/wheat glutens

Ancient Harvest Quinoa pasta is a wonderful gluten free pasta, my husband and I eat it alot. And the nutrition is compariable to regular wheat pasta.
  • XxXHillaryXxX
    XxXHillaryXxX Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    My daughter was on a Gluten Free diet for quite awhile and there are lots of substitutes out there for items like bread, pasta, pretzels ect. However if you are just wanting a few GF carbs try brown rice or sweet potatos. Neither of those would spike your fat or sodium.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    Options
    Fat isn't an enemy. My fat is set at 45%. I still lose weight. I keep my carbs at under 100g, rarely eat grains...
  • rotnkat
    rotnkat Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Ancient Harvest Quinoa pasta is a wonderful gluten free pasta, my husband and I eat it alot. And the nutrition is compariable to regular wheat pasta.

I agree as I love Ancient Harvest!!!!!! Also I like Rudi's multi grain bread. And Pamela's baking mixes (the cake mix is to die for...yum!!!!).
  • purplegoboom
    Options
    I would be careful of many gluten free substitutes, though. Many are filled with sugar and salt. Gluten free Bisquick? Nothing but garbage.

I do like Pamela's Baking Mix, though. Great if you have a craving for pancakes.
  • kristi321
    kristi321 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I found out about a year ago that my body starting reacting to gluten. Stomach bloat, pain... it was misery. Once I discovered the the cause it has made all the difference. Brown rice, rice cakes, quinoa, pasta made from corn/rice blend and oatmeal are great alternatives BUT while I am still in fat loss mode I try to avoid having more than one serving a day if at all. I will never go complete Paleo or grain free because I cannot commit to that for life but during fat loss I find that my body is much more efficient at burning fat with limited the grains.
  • rebekahgo
    rebekahgo Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    i decided to go gluten free recently because of ongoing digestive issues. it got so bad last week (horrible cramping, bloating) that i decided to pull the trigger on it. my son is gluten free, so i was already familiar with the products and such. today makes a full week, and i have to say that i feel pretty great. tmi, but i'm regular for the first time in forever, and i haven't had any bloating or cramps. it's just been a week, and it actually takes a while to get it all out of your system i'm told. i'm happy with it so far though. you can look at my diary if you want. i think there are a couple of other GFers in EMTWL as well. it's not as hard as you think.
  • missdimpley
    missdimpley Posts: 192
    Options
    i decided to go gluten free recently because of ongoing digestive issues. it got so bad last week (horrible cramping, bloating) that i decided to pull the trigger on it. my son is gluten free, so i was already familiar with the products and such. today makes a full week, and i have to say that i feel pretty great. tmi, but i'm regular for the first time in forever, and i haven't had any bloating or cramps. it's just been a week, and it actually takes a while to get it all out of your system i'm told. i'm happy with it so far though. you can look at my diary if you want. i think there are a couple of other GFers in EMTWL as well. it's not as hard as you think.

I am thinking about trying this.. but it is so hard lol.. I usually eat whole grains, no processed carbs. I like coconut flour, which is gluten free so that is good thing. I also like quiona.. hmm.. thanks for sharing.. I have bloated problems as wella s digestive issues.. I hate it.
  • EAlexandraB
    EAlexandraB Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I avoid wheat/gluten because it disagrees with me (mostly in the form of major brain fog).

I don't use many GF "alternatives" to products that are usually wheat-based. I prefer to avoid bread, for example, rather than trying to find a good GF one, because they're generally disappointing taste-wise and very expensive.

I do use Tinkyada brand brown rice pasta, and use the Bob's Red Mill GF pancake mix and brownie mix.

My meals tend to be a lean protein with salad at lunch (rotisserie chicken, Clover Leaf flavoured tuna, fresh fish - salmon, arctic char, halibut, tilapia, etc. - or sirloin steak), and with yams and green veggies at dinner. Breakfast is often oatmeal or yogurt and fruit, with the occasional smoothie.
  • puffinclaire
    Options
    I'm pretty much wheat free these days, I'm not allergic just intolerant so I can have a little every now and again so I'm really lucky in that I don't have to worry about it too much.
    As for subbing food I tend not to when it comes to sandwiches and just have a salad, soup or something different instead, or if I really want something carby then I'll have some rice cakes or oat cakes. I do sub pasta on occasion though and there are some really good chickpea, rice and corn alternatives out there. For dinner I tend to carb up on rice, quinoa, potatoes or barley couscous.
    I've never really minded not eating wheat regularly and have always felt like I've been getting plenty to eat. Saying that I have noticed now that I'm tracking my food regularly and have upped my exercise I am struggling to reach my calorie goals most days and I am finding it hard to eat enough extra to make up the difference.
    Not sure if that's any help at all but good luck with it and keep experimenting with all the different alternatives out there!
  • mommamuscles
    mommamuscles Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    Mike, Check out the book Smarter Science of Slim for some ideas and thoughts on the whole fat debate. Personally, I feel better on less grains and I've noticed that as I add more in, I seem to struggle more with my eating. Also, as a family, we are going down this road because of some allergies we found out my son has. It just simplifies things for us, but I really think everyone is different. I'm not sure I will ever completely eliminate all grains, and I cant afford to buy grass fed everything for a family of 7. I love oatmeal and quinoa and still will continue to have dairy. Personally, I think you just have to take pieces from different eating styles and make them work for you.