How often do you check your weight?

Options

Replies

• lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    They tell you not to do it too often, because you'll freak yourself out with natural, unavoidable variances in weight.

The strange thing for me is that I never see fluctuations really. If I'm staying on track and weighing myself every morning before I eat/drink anything I always see a loss...even if its only .1 or .2 lbs...the only time I see any sort of fluctuation is if I weigh in after a cheat day.
  • bunnylvr
    bunnylvr Posts: 78
    Options
    IF I weigh myself it's in the morning, on my day off, before I've eaten, after I've gone to the bathroom and only if I pooped a lot.
  • SanniHope
    SanniHope Posts: 23
    Options
    They tell you not to do it too often, because you'll freak yourself out with natural, unavoidable variances in weight.

The strange thing for me is that I never see fluctuations really. If I'm staying on track and weighing myself every morning before I eat/drink anything I always see a loss...even if its only .1 or .2 lbs...the only time I see any sort of fluctuation is if I weigh in after a cheat day.

That's cool!
    Means you really work hard on it :)
    Keep up the good work ;)
  • shellsrenee01
    shellsrenee01 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Guilty of over-weighing myself. I TRY to only do it once a week or so but lately I've been jumping on it almost every morning. I'm 3 pounds away from another milestone for myself and I think I'm super anxious to see a number appear that I haven't seen in years. I'd like to try and only weigh myself once a month, so that the change would be more immense, but I think that would discourage me more if there wasn't a big loss than doing it daily and watching the weight come off .5 lbs at a time. Just me though. :tongue:
  • VWilson_Momoftwinsplus1
    Options
    I weigh myself on the 1st and the 15th in the mornings after I go to the bathroom and before I eat.
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options

That's cool!
    Means you really work hard on it :)
    Keep up the good work ;)

Eh...I try lol. But I've had my fair share of off days, weeks, and months. The main thing I've learned is that half the battle is just figuring out what works for you...For me its weighing myself daily, making all of my healthy food as convenient as possible (pre-cutting/portioning), and allowing myself a treat once in awhile...but it's taken so long to figure these things out that its caused a lot of frustration.
  • tjones0927
    tjones0927 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Every morning, after I go to the bathroom, before I eat/drink anything.

Ditto!!
    Same for me as well....but I only update MFP on Thursdays. I personally think it helps me start my day with my goal in mind and keeps me on the right track.
  • stephanie1133
    Options
    I weigh twice a day, morning before eating or drinking and without clothes, and at night right before bed. I don't allow the natural fluctuation to bother me; but I like knowing every day. The night weights allows me to anticipate what my morning weight will be, and my daily morning weigh in keeps me on track. Over the years my weight has gone up and down, it ONLY goes up when I stop weighing myself. If I hold myself accountable by weighing every day, I don't get derailed. Some people can't handle it and find it more demotivational and discouraging than anything. It's not for everyone.
  • cavewoman15
    cavewoman15 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Every morning, after I go to the bathroom, before I eat/drink anything.

Ditto!!

Same here! I think it gives me an appreciation for how much weight fluctuates, but you can generally see an average over the course of a week or so.
  • thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Friday morning is weigh & record day.

But I do weight myself on Tuesday (without entering it into MFP) -- I kinda view Tuesday as a 'preview' as to what to expect in the coming week.
  • ctprofessional
    ctprofessional Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I barely ever weigh myself, so when I do, I'm always happy with the outcome!
  • rhonnie66
    rhonnie66 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Everyday before eating / drinking
  • bholmes21
    bholmes21 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I was an avid scale stepper so I decided to just weigh myself once a month, take measurements every 2 weeks and pics every 2 weeks to keep my sanity and see that things are still happening.
  • veerichie
    veerichie Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I "Officially" weigh myself only once a week and always on Monday morning, first thing when I wake up. But I usually weigh myself every morning on the bathroom scale just to check in. I do it often but I'm not obsessive about it. Plus I know weighing yourself on different days and times isn't consistent so I usually don't read too much into any weighing besides my Monday morning ones.
  • tripitena
    tripitena Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    When the mood strikes me. I dont worry a whole lot about it it and have been losing just fine.
  • Kenhabes
    Kenhabes Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    IF I weigh myself it's in the morning, on my day off, before I've eaten, after I've gone to the bathroom and only if I pooped a lot.

Homer Simpson: It's funny 'cause it's truuuuuue.
  • RipperSB
    RipperSB Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Saturday morning, after morning ablutions and before meals, like others. I think consistency is the key to get an accurate trend... same date/time, same scale, same clothing...
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Once a week. Officially at least. Occasionally I'll step on the scale during the rest of the week but if it has fluctuated, I don't let it get me down.

If you think it will frustrate you, measure instead. Waist, hips, and bust/chest. Wrist & neck if you want as well. I wouldn't suggest doing that weekly but once a month. It is usually a better indicator of whether or not you are losing fat mass imo.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Some people advocate weighing constantly. Some, like me, weigh once a week. Its whatever YOU feel comfortable doing. If you get obsessed with the scale, you may get frustrated. Unless you are keeping track of how your body changes from day to day, I wouldnt weigh yourself too much. Use your clothing as a guide instead.
  • WandaJean1564
    WandaJean1564 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I step on it every day..sometimes more than once..lol....if my weight goes down I record it on MFP.
    I get weighed at the doctors once a month... I went today and he was very pleased at my progress over the last few weeks