Weight loss only by diet/calories control?

Options
13»

Replies

• grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    It is possible but your body will look and feel better with exercise.

I've been here nearly a year and started out exercising but then got lazy, I'm quite skinny now (135lbs) but I'm what they call 'skinny fat' because I haven't exercised properly for a few months now. If I'd carried on with my exercise I probably would've looked more how I wanted sooner... :)
  • Bookchick887
    Bookchick887 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I've lost 13 lbs so far w/ minimal exercise. I used to walk every day 3-5 miles but have an injury which prevents me from walking since January. I have fibromyalgia and nerve pain. I try something and suffer for it that night (not just 'sore muscles'). Sciatica pain prevents most other movement. I miss playing racquetball and being active. Some of us aren't lazy but haven't come up with a way to move w/o pain. Lucky I only have 7 lbs to go but I'll tell you, it's a slower way to lose.
  • Kimmer2011
    Kimmer2011 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I haven't done big exercise, pretty much just walking. But that walking has been critical to my mental health and promoting an all around healthier life, which makes it easier to eat better, too!
  • LottieLou13
    LottieLou13 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I'm unable to exercise currently due to medical reasons. I'm only 3 months into my journey and so far have lost 14lbs. I eat at 20% deficit from my TDEE and some days barely even manage some walking.
    Personally I can't wait to be told I can exercise again, I started running and was doing 30Ds before being told not to. I want to be stronger and have more energy than I currently do and I think that doing exercise will give me that :smile:
  • RilantheFirebug
    RilantheFirebug Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 50 with calorie restriction only, after that I plateaued until I added exercise.
  • nikkiprickett
    nikkiprickett Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    You will end up being "skinny fat" if you have no intention of working out....plus, slashing calories is terrible for your body so it's ideal to have a well balanced diet as well as exercise.

Why not workout btw?!

If you're doing this for a lifestyle change you'll want to workout, you get out what you put in....just put in the hard work and you'll do fine,
  • BeccaLevine
    BeccaLevine Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Sure, you'll lose weight with diet alone. It will take a lot longer, I can promise you that! Guess what? When you workout and strength train you will GAIN muscle, and the more of that you have the more fat you will burn!! I would never suggest dieting without exercising! I workout almost every day, I love it and it's helping me not just lose weight but have no loose skin...so unless you want to surgically have that skin removed I would suggest working out!! If you aren't wanting to workout because of "health reasons" I strongly suggest you watch this video if you want to be inspired!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX9FSZJu448
  • umer76
    umer76 Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    Hi nikki, I mentioned that i have achilles tendonitis problem with both of my heels this stops me from doing exercises otherwise i would give it a try
  • techigirl78
    techigirl78 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    It takes longer and you are more likely to look flabby if you don't do strength training. I lost about 40-50lbs before doing much strength training. Adding muscle and keeping that toned helps with all the skin and will get you better results in the end while allowing you to eat more as you try to reach your goal and ulitimately get there since muscle burns calories.

If your heels are injured, maybe focus on strength training. It is the most important and there are many activities you should be able to do that would not involve your heels.
  • sapphire1166
    sapphire1166 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I've lost 30 lbs through dieting alone so far (240 lbs - 210 lbs). However, I sense my body starting to slow down and I know I need to start exercising if I want to maintain the speed at which I've been losing weight. I'm still working on getting myself in the right mindset, but it has to happen soon!
  • flyingcarbaccio
    flyingcarbaccio Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    This has been my experience. I thought I would lose weight by eating healthier and exercising regularly. I didn't lose any weight until I started counting calories.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Hi nikki, I mentioned that i have achilles tendonitis problem with both of my heels this stops me from doing exercises otherwise i would give it a try

If you have access to gym, and leg machines that don't require pushing on heels, you can indeed weight lift lower body then.

Besides, lifting will burn more fat and have better results than cardio alone.

Leg extensions and leg curls. In that link for body part lifts.
  • umer76
    Options
    My ideal situation would be if i can just start cycling it would be good 30-40 min exercise which will not hurt my heels. Only issue is i have been inconsistent with that. I also agree with you guys that certain machines at the gym would only work on the thighs. Gym and swimming pool are literally 5 min walk from my flat. I hope to lose first 50lbs with calories control and if i feel i am going at a plateau stage i will start exercise or bicycling.I wish if i can get enough motivation to use that facility. I sincerely hope that i do that sooner than later
  • frenchy807
    frenchy807 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I personally have a really hard time exercising because I have a really high paced job and im a full time student and find it almost impossible to find the time to exercise. However, I still figure out ways to keep my body moving. I also am COMPLETELY out of shape..but a lot of times I will make little changes, like walking instead of driving, or just getting up and cleaning or moving around. Plus im also on my feet 8-10 hours a day working in the food industry so I am always moving.

I find what is EASIEST though, is that if you are really out of shape like me, slowly but gradually bring in exercise. Every time I've tried to all of a sudden make an exercise plan, I never stick to it. That is why this time I am going to slowly bring it in, so my body gets used to it and slowly builds up the muscle and motivation to exercise more. Plus I will also be getting a new job soon that will allow me more time to exercise. I have lost 11 lbs though in 5 weeks just by diet, so it is possible, but I want to be in shape and feel good that way too :)
  • capri1652
    capri1652 Posts: 6
    Options
    I have lost 80 pounds without any form of exercise. I am disabled and could not exercise. I just counted calories. I have just begun to exercise in water only. It can be done but you must really watch your calorie intake.
  • nikkiprickett
    nikkiprickett Posts: 412 Member
    Options

Oh I didn't see that part....then yeah eat as healthy as possible, workout all the areas you can like upper body then? Like strength training on your arms and stuff?
  • umer76
    Options
    Yes after looking at the responses received from everyone it looks that excercise is a must. I will try to get admission in gym and will try doing upper body exercises and use equipment for the thighs machines. But for the time being I am sticking to my strict calories control regime.
  • sweetpotatofry
    sweetpotatofry Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    This has been my experience. I thought I would lose weight by eating healthier and exercising regularly. I didn't lose any weight until I started counting calories.

This. From late February I started working out (doing the 30 Day Shred and then gradually upping my workouts, mostly bodyweight strength with some light cardio mixed in) and watching what I ate in terms of quality and not quantity, and I lost and gained back the same 2-4 pounds. However, I was getting stronger, just not losing weight. Early May I was even two pounds heavier than my SW. I knew I was getting somewhere, but it wasn't as visible as I'd hoped.

Around mid-May I started losing motivation and consulted a friend who's been weighing her food for years. She told me to try tracking my calories and setting my macros properly for a bit before blaming it all on hypothyroidism (was diagnosed with it back in January or so). So I finally put MFP to use, and lo and behold, the pounds started coming off! This has never happened to me before. Since then I've reached my first goal weight and am seeing a number I haven't seen in a while.

Diet is definitely crucial -- I finally understand that now. Not just the healthfulness of what you're eating, but how much of it you're eating. I used to believe that if I ate healthy foods to my heart's content, I'd naturally be losing weight without paying any attention to calories. But it still adds up!

That said, I agree with everyone that how you're shaped after the weight loss depends on the kind of exercise you're doing.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!