Moms and making time!

Options
Hi everyone,

This is the first time I've ever posted anything on a message group...ever. A little nervous. LOL.

Anyway, I am a 37 year old sahm to two wonderful boys, 8 and 13. Between making their meals, carting them around in the family limo (both are heavily involved in sports), keeping the house clean, doing everything that a sahm does, I have trouble finding time to get in my workouts. I feel guilty that I don't have as much time as I'd like.

To all the other sahms out there, how often do you workout and how long are your typical workouts? Also, do you workout at a gym, do stuff at home etc? Just trying to see if I'm the only one that always feels crunched for time ;(!!!

Thanks!

Donna

Replies

• specialkyc
    specialkyc Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm not a sahm, but I have a 13 year old and a 5 month old. I would suggest maybe you and your children take bike rides together. When they go to bed at night give yourself 30 minutes to dedicate to a workout video or something along those lines. Are any of their practices or games close enough to walk to? Is there a walking track near where they practice? Are they into swimming? Swimming burns lots of calories.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    If you have the $$ to do it, get a fitbit. I think you'll be shocked how much you really move around during the day!!

Since February I have been going to the local YMCA 3-4 times a week. It generally takes me about 1.5 hours to do my workout now--I either do 30 minutes on the seated elliptical OR 65 minutes on the treadmill...then I go and do 20-30 minutes on the various weight machines.

I am trying to keep up with the schedule this summer, but I don't know how it will work out. I feel selfish saying it, but I just couldn't get my head in the right place with my 12 year old and my 16 year old constantly needing guidance or wanting to chat. I spent the last 30 minutes of my treadmill time telling my 12yo to please SHUT UP and walk. 16yo had to be shown how to do every exercise...then I had to wipe off the machines behind him.
  • houssey
    houssey Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi Donna,

I have 3 kids 6, 4, and 2. Here's how my schedule goes: Get the 6 year old on the bus by 8:40. Then get the 2 girls dressed and ready we head out to the gym around 9:30 or 10am also try to fit in laundry, dishes and picking up. We go to the local YMCA and they have child watch. I workout for about 70 minutes then by the time we get back home it is usually time for lunch. Then i get my 2 year old for a nap at 1pm. My 4 year old girl is my "easy one" so I am usually able to get cleaning, laundry and ideas for dinner (my least favorite:) By 3pm my 2 year old is up and if I still have more housework to do my girls are usually good at playing together. My son comes home by 4pm we all play outside depending on the weather then dinner at 5, then depending on what night we either go to soccer or baseball for my son. Hope this helps. I try to go to the gym 6 days a week always in the morning, plus my husband works nights so i try to get the kids out of the house so he can get some uninterrupted sleep.
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    I stay at home and babysit 6-8 kids a day. I used to workout during naptime. Now that my oldest (7) is out of school for the summer, I am working out in the evening. My other son is 3. They just play in the basement while I lift or run on the treadmill. It's hard sometimes because they are so little yet and still need me to do certain things for them. I wish they were as old as yours! It's definitely easier to work out at home when you stay at home and have kids.....so doing it at home is key for me.
  • reyna99
    reyna99 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I'm not a SAHM, wish I was though, but I work full time have two kids 12 and 9, hubs and all the other mom/wife stuff. I get up at 5AM, that's what works best for me. I've done all my workouts at home,never once bought a gym membership. I've done anything from Jillian Micheals Shred, to walking, to biking, and now beachbody DVD's. We've done lots of stuff as a family! basketball, baseball.

and the days I can't work out in the morning (which seems to be the case this summer I do more evening runs...or watch that I'm eating clean if I don't get a workout in.
  • jb852013
    jb852013 Posts: 116
    Options
    I am a homeschooling sahm to two kids - 4 & 6. First of all I try and make sure my kids do not have too many extra activities where I have to take them places. I of course have to get them out of the house to be around other kids, but they are only part of one group sport. My daughter takes classes once a week for 3 hours so I can go to the mall nearby and walk. Then when I take them outside to play with their friends I walk on the sidewalk. We like to play Just Dance together on the Wii which is quite a workout for me. I also bought us hula hoops so we can have competitions. I have an elliptical machine at home so I can watch tv and excersize on it whenever I have a bit of time in my day. I wish I could go to the gym, but I just don't have enough time for all that driving each day.
  • rcharlee
    rcharlee Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I have an 11 month old baby, work part time, and care for my daughter full time. I do workout dvds. If you have 20-30 minutes, you can do something like Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred. I have that dvd, and also turbo jam. So I recommend workout videos, since the gym is not always practical for people like us.

Good luck on your journey!
  • youcanhumpmyleg
    Options
    i tend to do my work out at night around 7 - 8 pm when my two year old goes to bed
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I am not a SAHM, but I am a single mom of 2 kids who are also in sports. I find for me if my exercised is scheduled I follow thru. On days I think 'oh I'll throw in a video' I dont do it.

So right now I go to the gym 3 days a week, and because it's scheduled I know when I get home from work these days, we eat, then head to the gym. Is there anyway to schedule it in like you do their sports?

Good luck
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I'm not a SAHM, wish I was though, but I work full time have two kids 12 and 9, hubs and all the other mom/wife stuff. I get up at 5AM, that's what works best for me. I've done all my workouts at home,never once bought a gym membership. I've done anything from Jillian Micheals Shred, to walking, to biking, and now beachbody DVD's. We've done lots of stuff as a family! basketball, baseball.

and the days I can't work out in the morning (which seems to be the case this summer I do more evening runs...or watch that I'm eating clean if I don't get a workout in.

this. I work full time, go to school, have two kids, and volunteer. I have to get up before the kids to get a workout done, good thing about you having older kids is they probably sleep through the night and don't wake up at 4am? just gotta set your alarm and do it!
  • sjflowers
    sjflowers Posts: 148
    Options
    sadly, i plug my two boys (6 and 7) into their computers and tell them not to talk to me until i am done... their computers are right in the same room that I work out in so I can watch them... actually they are really good at motivating me.. "it's ok mom, you can do it' "that break was really long, you should try harder".. "mom, you are not tired" :) I also just let the housework go until i am done. My husband seems ok with it.. he really wants me healthy... and I want me healthy...
  • A_New_Horizon
    A_New_Horizon Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    Well, I am not a sahm either. I am actually a single working mother of 2 babies (3 and almost 2). In the beginning, I would do workout dvd when they went to bed - like 30-day shred, Ripped in 30 and Turbojam. Now that they are older, I have joined a gym that has a daycare that way they get exposure to other kids and mommy gets her workout. I go right after work and I am home between 7 and 8. It is very doable with a little dedication.
  • stephanie1133
    Options
    I have a 3 year old and a 6 month old. I both workout at the gym, and at home (depending). I MAKE the time. It is hard, I am tired (6 month old still doesn't sleep through the night, EVER), and sometimes I DO NOT want to, but I do it. 1 hour a day, or most days (5 days a week at least for me) is a drop in the bucket. I do it either before my husband goes to work, or after the kids are in bed. On my husband's days off I go whenever our schedule allows, but I plan ahead.

I have a friend who has 6 kids and finds time to workout, I figured if she could do it, that I definitely could.

The main thing I decided was that I didn't have to feel guilty about taking ONE measly hour a day to do something positive for myself that ends up benefiting all of them in the end as well.
  • Tarale1
    Tarale1 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hi Donna,

I am not a sahm but i am a sm to an 8 year old and so i find time where i can such as on my lunch hour at the gym and every saturday and sunday morning i go for a run as soon as my eyes open. If my daughter has to be somewhere during the weekends, i make sure to set my alarm and work it in. Also, i will try to incorporate my daughter where i can. If she can fit me into her schedule (true story) we will go to the part, but walk to a park that is a bit further from home so that i can get some walking in (and back home). I will run around with her. Since she plays soccer, sometimes i will go outside and kick the soccer ball with her. I don't play, but she enjoys the one on one time. I also did the same thing when changing up our eating habits explaining to her that it's better she learn now, but also, mommy won't be enjoying the same kinds of treats as she well be. I guess my suggestion is trying to incorporate them as much as possible and you would be how supportive they will be because they are just spending quality time with you.
  • raquel_soto
    raquel_soto Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    i am not a sahm, however i work full time, have three kids under 12, and a needy husband (so that's what, 2 teenage boys? lol). i'm also a multi-media artist and the busiest person i know.

the fact is, you need to MAKE the time. period.

when i started, it was a bit hard for the family to understand i needed my 30 minutes. after all, they were use to me being, well mom. they would come and interupt and i would ignore them all until my 30 minutes were over.

it took six weeks of consistantcy, but they are broken! lol. now they know to leave me alone when i'm working out.

find what is best for you. break out your workouts if you have to in 3-10 minute intervals. i read a study once that found women who did this lost more anyway. maybe because they were burning all day? also, find the work outs that work BEST for your body type. i found dancing, jogging in place, and kickboxing worked the best.

where did i woke out? my room: the kitchen! lol

at the end of the day you need to make a DECISION to take care of yourself FOR THE SAKE OF THE FAMILY then make tiny decisions each day to support the big one.

all the best!
  • klalaw
    klalaw Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I do workout DVDs at home when my son is at school. When he's home, we go on walks, bike rides, kick a soccer ball around in the back yard. I also use a fitbit to try to make sure I'm moving around a lot during the day instead of just zoning out in front of the computer or TV.
  • neaneawy
    neaneawy Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I'm a SAHM of three, 5, 3, and 1. It's hard, but I'm making it work. There is no time, I know. Honestly something had to give and I decided that my health was more important. My housework is what gave. I work out 6 days a week for 30 min. Three days a week I do a video at home for 30 min during nap time and the other three days I'm doing C25K. I have a friend that watches my kids one of the running days for the 30 min. The other 2 days we go to the track and my kids play while I run. I just decided that it's better for my kids to have a healthy mom and watch me build healthy habits through diet and exercise than to have a perfect house. My husband is supportive because a healthier me is helping our relationship.

What I don't have time for is working out for hours and hours. My workouts are 30 min. and that has to be good for now.
  • jessicajoy87
    jessicajoy87 Posts: 905
    Options
    Its doable! I am a sahm of 4 and I go to school. Its tough but it can be done. I usually take them with me. We have a park that has a trail that goes around it and I walk that pushing my baby while the others play. I also go to this other track we have and I push the two youngest while my 4 and 5 year olds ride their bikes. Sometimes I have to wait until they go to bed and I either workout on the treadmil or do a workout dvd. This works for now.
  • Hugdarla
    Hugdarla Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have 3 kids and I work full time. I joined a fitness boot camp (4 weeks on, 1 off) and go M-F at 5:30 am. I never thought I could do morning workouts but it is great. I just have to go to bed a little earlier but otherwise it doesn't affect our schedule.
  • Iansmommy123011
    Iansmommy123011 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am 29 years old. I am SAHM. I am a new mom and my son is 5 months. Everything is new to me. I started this site in March as I started working out again after I got the okay from the dr. What I try to do is if I can't leave the house to work out, I try to do the zumba on the wii or any kind of fitness on the wii. I try to do that when he is taking a nap. If he isn't taking a nap then I walk around my block. I sometimes walk to my neighbor hood center that has a little gym. Since my son is too little I have to keep him in the stroller next to me when I work out. I don't stay to long because he doesn't like staying in his car seat very long. But as the kids get older there is a little play room in the little gym. There is no baby sitters but bring the kids that is old enough to walk and play. There is a window you can watch them while you are working out and see what they are doing. I won't do that till my son gets older like 2 years old. We joined a gym off post because it had a day care and other things. We got lucky since being in the military we were able to come up with a good deal for a price we can afford. I would go to the gyms on post since they are free but they don't offer day care. Military is big on fitness and health for everyone and even kids too, so they offer some classes to bring kids. When my son gets older I will be able to do that. Or you can go to target or walmart and get some work out dvd's and have your kids do it with you as well.