Home workouts?

Options

Replies

• up2me2lose20
    up2me2lose20 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I worked out at home for a long time before we joined a gym. I love going to the gym so that I can get out of the house (WAHM). But I could totally get a good workout at home. There are a lot of options for at home with little equipment. As far as when to workout, I get mine in at 5AM. It's what works for me. Just part of the routine. :)
  • HephaestusInTraining
    Options
    Hopefully someone didn't already suggest this or something similar.

But I do strength training at home and I find it most helpful to use videos in these three categories:
    1) Upbeat music - whatever you consider that to be. I don't usually do hard metal because it actually feels draining on my energy after the initial burst.
    2) Action films (especially martial arts flicks with Jackie Chan)
    3) Comedies (if I have to pause the workout to laugh, so be it)

The shared trait to all of these is that they make me forget about "having to workout" and instead subconsciously give me energy to do my workout. For example, I was watching Captain America and while he was jumping from car to car, I noticed I was completing and getting into position for push-ups VERY fast compared to my hum-drum normal speed.
  • CharityEaton
    CharityEaton Posts: 508
    Options
    get some of the other Jillian dvd's

I've moved on from them now but they used to be all I did. I have 3 kids that are now all three home with me ALL DAY LONG and I am still getting my 2 hours in 5 days a week. It is super hard but I can't deal with not getting my workouts in. If they are particularly needy then we do Just Dance on the wii together.
    I too, agree witht the getting up before everyone else in the house. I do that every morning and it really helps!

Like someone else mentioned too, you have to schedule it and make it a priority. I have weeks that I let things slide a bit and then on Sunday night I will warn my husband. Just this week I told him, " ok, I slacked off a few weeks now this week I have to get back at it. I WILL get my 2 workouts in everyday. You can help me or listen to me be a grouch all week." It's fair warning to him that I am focused and it won't be pretty if he gets in my way!!!

You can do it!
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I would buy some gymnastic rings. You can "mount" them pretty much anywhere and can get a great workout.
  • 75Juniper
    75Juniper Posts: 376
    Options
    I work out at home and I use a variety of DVD's to keep things interesting. Or I'll throw in my earbuds and dance around the house if I'm really not interested in doing anything structured. I exercise first thing in the morning, and that works well for me. The house is quiet and I can focus on getting it done. I also choose my DVD the night before and lay out my clothes, shoes, and any equipment I'll need. That way when I stumble out of bed, I have no excuse. Plus, with the time crunch of having to go to work, there's no time to get sucked into watching TV.

I also keep hand weights in the living room and when I'm watching TV at night, I'll get up and do some reps.

Just keep experimenting and you'll find what works for you. I used to be an evening exerciser, but now I love my morning routine. The important thing is to keep at it.
  • Dudagarcia
    Dudagarcia Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I too have a huge library of Leslie sansone videos I also use sparkle people video and south beach diet video. I too use my elliptical. I love that I can wo at home.
  • mhankosk
    mhankosk Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Try switching up the videos. I find I tend to get bored with stuff REALLY fast. The same jokes, the same motivational statements over and over. Yuck! Jillian has a TON of videos and they are usually pretty cheep on amazon or at Target. Yes, a lot of her workouts resemble eachother, but at least you are getting a new routine. I am just about to finish up her Total Body Revolution. Its a pricey one but I like it cause you switch up workouts every 2 weeks. Keeps it fresh. Good luck!
  • Blessedmommy_2x
    Blessedmommy_2x Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I've never had a gym membership...and have always worked out at home. I don't use dvds or anything I write down my own made up circuits (usually a mixture of body weight exercises and cardio) and then pop some music on and go. I don't stop until I am finished. I have 2 toddlers and a spouse so I know how it is trying to find the space and time but I just make it. If they are watching a movie or he can watch them a few I tell him I will be back in 30 minutes or less and knock it out then. I used to wait until the kids went to bed, but I am TOO tired by then. So I try to get it in after dinner each night OR right before.
  • Seminolegirl97
    Seminolegirl97 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I belong to a gym but never go. I prefer home or outside workouts. My favorite DVD lately is Xtreme Time Saver training with Jackie Warner. Its 30 mins of hard core weights. But your heart rate is UP! My man loves it and says this is burning! I love it much more than Jillian. I hate jillians Jump in place crap and get up now get on the floor. Hate it. So try Jackie Warner DVD!

Good LucK!
  • jdploki70
    jdploki70 Posts: 343
    Options
    Get two high backed chairs. With two chairs you can do a majority of the isometric exercises. I used to do dips, for back arms, deep chair push ups, for biceps and chest, and sit ups for abs. Then you can add some steps into the routine to work the legs and gluts. There were a few sites, back in the day, that focused only on doing exercises using a simple chair. Finish that off with jogging/running/walking/biking, and you've got a decent work out without the gym.
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    I have Biggest Loser Boot camp. You can customize the workout. There's warm up, level 1, level 2, level 3, and cool down. You can do any/all in any order you pick. It's really cool, and Bob is a great break from Jillian. I <3 her, but I can only take her voice for so long.
  • fattofit20
    fattofit20 Posts: 86
    Options
    I put it into my schedule. I tell my family that as soon as I get home from work that is my workout time. I don't like anyone to watch me either so my son goes into his bedroom for an hour (if he's home). Friends know not to call or stop over for that period of time.
    I do all different things as I'm hearing about them here on MFP. I do a Leslie Sansone walking video several times a week for cardio but I sprained my ankle so I'm not doing that this week. I have also checked out fitnessblender.com. There are so many different workouts on there. You should check them out. I guarantee you won't get bored!
  • hollieam92
    hollieam92 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone there is some fab advice here :)
  • ahanson6
    ahanson6 Posts: 102
    Options
    I know it's not the cheapest route to go, but my husband and I bit the bullet and bought an elliptical. We loved it so much that we got a treadmill, so we can work out side by side. Now I can get my cardio in while I watch crappy TV. We are planning to buy a Bowflex next so we can do some strength training in front of the tube too.
  • ALISHAWILLIAMSON
    ALISHAWILLIAMSON Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I love home workouts! :love: I use Leslie Sansone most often she has a lot of different DVDs, but I own mostly her walk at home and jogging DVDs. They're fairly inexpensive and I think the workouts are excellent. I also like the 10 minute solutions DVDs. I have arms, leg, and abs. Most of these have 5-6 different ten minute workouts that target specific muscle groups. You can choose all of them or do one at a time.

I have a five year old @ home right now and it helps to have him preoccupied doing a puzzle, game or watching a videa in another room. I've been doing this since he was born so it started while he was napping, them while he was in the playpen, then in a high chair. Now I simple explain that I am unavailable until I'm finished and if he needs something he has to get it himself or wait. You are important too, don't forget that!!:smooched:

I'm still looking for some MFP friends to help motivate and keep motivated myself:smile:
  • grayprae
    grayprae Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I Love the Wii Just Dance games I have all 3 and just pick which songs I like I can change it up and If I get really bored I can buy a few new songs. It is a great work out it really get up heart rate up and my kids dance with me (without a controller). It is a lot of fun My 4 year old kicks my butt on the song You can Touch This
  • mommyhof3
    mommyhof3 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I have 3 kids and a husband and I don't like to exercise in front of them either. That being said I get up at 5:30 every morning and do P90X. Some days it's a struggle but I make myself get out of bed. I can sleep when I'm skinny.
  • Jipples
    Jipples Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I workout at home....I converted half of my garage to a gym. The trick to staying consistent, just do it.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I walk everywhere and do run occasionaly but lets say british weather isnt great and i do DVDs but I wondered if anyone had work outs they used, to their own music rather than dvds because i get bored easily!

I pop in a Walk at Home DVD & use my MP3 player all the time. These are simple enough you can follow along without listening to the instructor. Great if you want to get in an early morning workout & not wake up the whole house. Indoor walking is great for bad weather days too! Here's a link to give you an idea http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnsfbneFQ_8&amp;feature=related
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I work out at home a lot. I use a lot of Leslie Sansone walk at home DVD's. They are basic and mindless yet you will sweat. There great for nights that I'm feeling exhausted and unmotivated.

You could also try joining an exercise class
    joining a gym (some provide babysitting)
    finding a work out buddy. I find this really helps if you make a commitment to meet someone for a walk/run