Anyone doing C25K?

Options
Has anyone else recently started a Couch to 5K program? I kicked off my first week this past Sunday, run/walking my last outing of the first week this morning (with some biking, etc. on the between days) and it's been fun, challenging, and I can say in all honesty I can feel a difference (some of that feeling being soreness in my legs) and my distance has improved day-to-day. Anyone have success stories they'd like to share? Anyone looking to get a support structure as they work their way through the program? Anyone have any goals they're working toward with this program?

Personally, I'm looking to run my first 5K in September...

Replies

• TracyHarmon10
    TracyHarmon10 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm running my first 5K in September too! I'm in week 4 of C25K and it is getting hard (for me), but am really wanting to be successful. I'm a lifetime yo-yo'er and I'm tired of it! Best wishes on your 5K in Sept. Are you doing it by yourself, or do you have any friends getting ready with you?
  • jcjsjones
    jcjsjones Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I just finished the program and ran my first 5k on May 12th. In my personal opinion, it is a great way to prepare your body for running! Sore legs, shin splits, and sore feet are going to happen. Don't get frustrated if you can't move up to the next level, just do the program at your own pace. If you don't complete it in 9 weeks, who cares? Just continue to work on it and you will finish!! I also suggest that you get fitted for running shoes (if you haven't already). I really started hurting around week 4, and I was given the same advice. I got measured and purchased the correct shoes, and it made such a big difference! Good luck and keep me posted about your progress!! :flowerforyou:
  • spaingirl2011
    spaingirl2011 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I started this Monday. Tomorrow I will have completed all of week !!
  • eesmetana
    eesmetana Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    @Tracy - Doing it on my own, part of a larger reimagining of myself health wise. I'm with you on the yo-yo dieting stuff, hoping some lifestyle changes I've been making over the last 6 months continue to stick.
  • eesmetana
    Options
    @Spain - That's awesome! I was so afraid last Sunday that I was just going to keel over somewhere in the middle of my run, but it's been a lot better than I had thought it was going to be.
  • eesmetana
    Options
    @jcjsjones - I did get fitted for shoes, they had to be ordered in (my feet are too big apparently) at my local New Balance store. They'll be ready to pick up this weekend -- looking forward to running in shoes whose sole purpose is running.
  • spaingirl2011
    spaingirl2011 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    @Spain - That's awesome! I was so afraid last Sunday that I was just going to keel over somewhere in the middle of my run, but it's been a lot better than I had thought it was going to be.

It's funny. I walk ALL THE TIME (living in Madrid, it's kind of the hazard of the trade), so my legs are really strong. I just have absolutely no stamina. I downloaded the app for my ipod and I SWEAR, the second day of week 1 was longer than the first! What are they trying to do to me?? :laugh:
  • vtate75
    vtate75 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I used it to get back into running after having babies. It is a great program. The thing about running is (in my opinion)...it is 99% mental. If you can make your mind push through it, your body can easily follow. I love to run, and I've gotten to that point that it is one of the only things that really helps me relax. I no longer ever feel out of breath, even on a 10+ mile run, but my legs get tired. I have to remind myself that my body can do it and that the pain is in my head. Keep it up and you will succeed!
  • hahandel
    hahandel Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 9 and I'm going to run a 5k on 6/16. Starting on week 7 I started running through the end of the program until I reached a distance of 5k. I can run 5k in about 34 minutes.

I was never a runner before this. The program works!

Good luck!!
  • Ritzbrit
    Ritzbrit Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I just finished week 3 this morning. I looked at week 4 and oh boy, I dunno. I may have to repeat week 3.
  • eesmetana
    Options
    @vtate - A 10 mile run - gosh, I hope to get there someday, I'm just trying to survive this week. :)
  • Rabyn
    Rabyn Posts: 5
    Options
    I have started it a few times, but (I'm embarrassed to type this :ohwell: ) I have given up on it after week 3 because I just felt like I was too heavy to do it. All of you amazing people on here doing it is giving me a HUGE push to jumping on that treadmill and starting again! Thank you all!!!

Please feel free to add me or message me with any tips or encouragement!
  • concerto3
    concerto3 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I started it just last night :D Proud of how well I did too, I don't do any Cardio so it's a definite change for me, but loving it already :D:D Add me! Just toss on a message :)
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I'll be starting week 3 on Monday. I've definately noticed a difference from my first run until yesterday (W2D3). I just downloaded some music onto my phone, so I'm really looking forward to running on Monday!

Edited to add: I'm signed up for a 5K at the end of July. That'll be at the tail end of week 9 for me.
  • paulwgun
    paulwgun Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Hi guys
    Congratulations on starting c25k all of you !!! Awesome job I started in January
    And last Sunday ( fathers day) I ran a 10 k race
    Im still a big lad and working on my weight but I'm now hooked
    If I can do it anyone can just remember slow your pace and go for endurance
    And happy running everyone :-)
  • krikit_lo
    krikit_lo Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I just started yesterday. It wasn't too bad but I may have just been on a high because I actually managed to get up and start ! there is a C25K group that is open for anyone to join, seems like lots of people posting there.
  • peace_pigeon
    peace_pigeon Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Add my Congrats on starting c25k as well!! I started running (trails mostly) a few months ago and just added in c25k for road running a few weeks ago. I love it. Totally agree about going at your own pace, repeat weeks until you feel pretty comfortable- don't rush (thats when injury happens or you end up quitting from frustration). I highly recommend getting out on a trail if you can- it's a really different experience than road running and it is *really* fun :happy:.