Fitbit and Air Travel

Options
Has anyone had any difficulty wearing their Fitbit through security in airports? It isn't the end of the world to pack it in my suitcase, but I hate to niss out on a day of counting steps walking through airports if I don't need to.

I also don't relish the idea of having to fish it out of my bra (and worse, struggle to put it back on) in front of a bunch of TSA agents.

Anyone passed through security wearing one?

Thanks!

Replies

• itsuki
    itsuki Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Do you have the wrist strap? I have a feeling wearing it on your wrist would be a better idea than fishing it out of your bra.
  • beaner1st
    beaner1st Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    About to fly myself and was wondering this. Is it safe to go through security just like your cell phone maybe?
  • Pooker89
    Pooker89 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Maybe don't wear it in the airport but keep it in a carry on and when you go through you can go into the bathrooms and put it back on. :)
  • cygnetpro
    cygnetpro Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I do have a wriststrap, and that would avoid the awkward bra part. But my biggest concern is that they make me leave it behind, and forfeit it. They may not be familiar with them, and it doesn't really have a whole lot of identifying info on it.
  • cygnetpro
    Options
    Maybe don't wear it in the airport but keep it in a carry on and when you go through you can go into the bathrooms and put it back on. :)

I considered this, but wonder how it shows up in the x-ray-- would it look suspicious?
  • cygnetpro
    Options
    Maybe I'll ask the desk clerk at check in, and if he thinks it's a problem, I'll pop it in my suitcase.
  • Pooker89
    Pooker89 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    You are right though, better to be safe then sorry and ask when you get there. :)
  • yugoro
    yugoro Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I just came back from a trip. Instead of the bra, I put it on my hip and then just unclipped it when I went through security and then put it back on once done. I had to use the full body scanner and it would definitely have caused a problem if I had left it on the bra.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    It won't be a problem, they won't make you forfeit it. There are gazillions of different electronic devices people travel with, fitbit is not particularly special or worrisome. Just take it off and put it with your purse and cell phone through the scanner, don't wear it through the metal detector/scanner thing.
  • kaji13
    kaji13 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I travel a lot for my job and have never had a problem bringing kindle, gps, regular pedometer, camera, etc....I don't see any reason why this would cause problems. You won't have to give it up, I promise.
  • wiltl
    wiltl Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Shouldn't be a problem, if you put it on the belt to be scanned with your carryons. I'd do the belt loop thing too, then reclip it once past security. My last flight, I only had a carryon with all sorts of phones, chargers, RFID badge...no problems until I forgot to take the badge off after work that day and got the scanner and pat-down.:grumble:

Do you get credit for climbing 350 flights of stairs for the plane ascent? lol
  • cygnetpro
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! I think I was just concerned because it doesn't look like a typical HRM, and it's fairly new.

And I think I will pump my legs a lot while we're taking off, to see if it gives me credit for climbing the equivalent of Mt. Everest! ;-)

Thanks for the help!