Heart Rate Monitor

Options
I was wondering who uses Heart Rate Monitors, if so what kind. What would be the pros and cons for getting one for better (more accurate) calories burned during work outs?

I am trying to decide if I should get Fitbit or Polar GPS Watch.

Thanks!

Replies

• itsuki
    itsuki Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Well a Fitbit isn't a heart rate monitor - it measures your movement, but not your heart rate. So if you're looking for something that measures your daily walking + stuff like that, Fitbit would work.

But if you want something to measure calories burned during a workout more accurately, and you do things like lift weights, then the Polar would be more accurate.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    I have a polar one that works well. It is the FT80, but the chest strap is pretty universal. As for pros and cons, it depends. If you get your exercise from outdoor activity, like running, biking, etc., they are great. Otherwise you would be guessing a lot. If you get your exercise at a gym, they still work great, but they interfere with the machines around you. I was a little shocked at the range the chest strap I have has. If I use it at the gym, it over-rides the HR monitor of the machines within about a 10 foot radius of me. So, it anyone else is using a machine near you, your HR shows up on their machine, so I don't use it at the gym out of courtesy to the other people.

The chest strap is comfortable and low profile, so you barely feel it and it is pretty much un-detectable under a shirt. I have had to warranty mine once, but Polar was very accommodating and took care of it.

As for polar vs fitbit, no idea. I have heard a lot of people using fitbit on this site because of the integration it has, so that is probably a pro, but it isn't like it is that hard to add calories off your polar one!
  • katunder
    katunder Posts: 41
    Options
    Well a Fitbit isn't a heart rate monitor - it measures your movement, but not your heart rate. So if you're looking for something that measures your daily walking + stuff like that, Fitbit would work.

But if you want something to measure calories burned during a workout more accurately, and you do things like lift weights, then the Polar would be more accurate.

thanks for clarifying, I guess the most important thing for me now is to track calories burned at the gym and when doing outdoor activities. Having fitbit sync automatically to myfitnesspal is a plus but not a necessary.
  • katunder
    katunder Posts: 41
    Options
    I have a polar one that works well. It is the FT80, but the chest strap is pretty universal. As for pros and cons, it depends. If you get your exercise from outdoor activity, like running, biking, etc., they are great. Otherwise you would be guessing a lot. If you get your exercise at a gym, they still work great, but they interfere with the machines around you. I was a little shocked at the range the chest strap I have has. If I use it at the gym, it over-rides the HR monitor of the machines within about a 10 foot radius of me. So, it anyone else is using a machine near you, your HR shows up on their machine, so I don't use it at the gym out of courtesy to the other people.

The chest strap is comfortable and low profile, so you barely feel it and it is pretty much un-detectable under a shirt. I have had to warranty mine once, but Polar was very accommodating and took care of it.

As for polar vs fitbit, no idea. I have heard a lot of people using fitbit on this site because of the integration it has, so that is probably a pro, but it isn't like it is that hard to add calories off your polar one!

the chest strap has to be worn together with a watch?
  • cristileigh
    cristileigh Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I have a PolarFT1 It is a heart rate monitor and that is about ALL it does... it doesn't tell me calories burned. So investigate each Polar cababilities before purchasing. Yes they have to have a chest strap.

I prefer my body media fit over the HRM...
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    the chest strap has to be worn together with a watch?
    The chest strap is the heart rate sensor and transmitter, the watch is the receiver and display unit.
  • mizzoulaxgirl26
    mizzoulaxgirl26 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I got a sportline from Walmart, strap and watch for $50. I've had great luck with it.
  • jenseye
    jenseye Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4, I use it for most exercise, except yoga, chest strap wouldn't work well with some of the positions and the beeping might annoy the class and me ; )
    Found it on Amazon and got free shipping
  • GauchoMark
    Options
    the chest strap has to be worn. If you are using a machine, you don't HAVE to wear the watch, but the watch logs your data, so it is best to go ahead and wear it.
  • GauchoMark
    Options
    oh, and you mentioned GPS... if I am not mistaken, that adds another "thing" you have to wear.
  • nicehormones
    nicehormones Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I was wondering who uses Heart Rate Monitors, if so what kind. What would be the pros and cons for getting one for better (more accurate) calories burned during work outs?

I am trying to decide if I should get Fitbit or Polar GPS Watch.

Thanks!

I have a Polar Ft4 and love it. It's great to have if you eat your exercise calories and like watching your heart rate improve over time, especially if running. Mine works great except on occasion it will say zero, but I think that is being my bra gets underneath the strap at times. But I would highly recommend, I love it!
  • sherry9300
    sherry9300 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT60 and love it. It monitors and has several training plans depending on your goals. A friend at work just bought the FitBit. He is really enjoying it but it's not a HRM. I'm still not real sure of its accuracy since it does not monitor your heart rate for calories burned. That being said, it is a cool little device. However, I will stick with my Polar.
  • jenpeterson96
    jenpeterson96 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin Forerunner 405cx that I has a heart rate monitor. Since I have started running, I got that over the Polar. It gives me GPS, etc., plus I can use it for other cardio workouts (Zumba, kickboxing, etc.) and it gives me calories burned.

My niece has a Polar and she really likes it.
  • ozzysbat2003
    ozzysbat2003 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    Just a quick question? I'm waiting for delivery of polar ft7 HRM, just wondering how it translates onto my fitness pal! I only really walk & exercise at home (sometimes stationary bike) & have stopped adding exercise to MFP. I have a fitbit which is good for me as keeps track of my steps! I want the polar to,help with weight loss & to generally improve my fitness by learning to exercise & keep "in the zone". Does anyone actually use HRM's & link them to MFP? Any advice gratefully received
  • weaverchick
    weaverchick Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If you swim, you need to make sure that your model specifically lists swimming. While most models say they are water resistant/ proof, they are usually referring to rain and/or sweat. Most of them operate at a transmission frequency between the strap and the watch that is absorbed by water, so they don't work in pools. Actually using them while swimming works great, though. I use a Polar RS300 and I love it.
  • libertychoury
    libertychoury Posts: 57 Member
    Options

This explains so much! I wondered how the machine was keeping track of my heart rate so well when I wasn't touching it, since it didn't do that before I got my polar f4.
  • kmbweber2014
    kmbweber2014 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I got the Polar FT4 after tying out a few other and so far I love it. I use it and my Nike Running+ app on my phone, and together they are fantastic.