New GPS Watch

Options
My Garmin Forerunner 205 that I've had for 2.5yrs is starting to get worn out. I want to get something new and better to replace it, especially since I'm training for a 1/2 marathon. Any suggestions?

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    What features are you looking for that you don't currently have? You can get a lot of bells and whistles on these things, but it's a waste of money if you never use them.
  • Chowder_17
    Chowder_17 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Main things I care about is overall time, distance, pace, calories burned, lap splits, and something a little smaller. I have tiny wrists and the 205 is ginormous!
  • CarsonRuns
    Options
    Main things I care about is overall time, distance, pace, calories burned, lap splits, and something a little smaller. I have tiny wrists and the 205 is ginormous!

I use a 205 also. You are going to ending up paying more for something else just to get a smaller one. The 205 is solid. If it were me, I'd just get another one. You've been wearing this one for 2.5 years and the extra weight hasn't thrown off your balance yet, has it? :D
  • Chowder_17
    Options

I use a 205 also. You are going to ending up paying more for something else just to get a smaller one. The 205 is solid. If it were me, I'd just get another one. You've been wearing this one for 2.5 years and the extra weight hasn't thrown off your balance yet, has it? :D

No, it hasn't. I'd probably be able to get more life out of it if I bought I new wrist strap. The 405's are around the same price as the 205's and look smaller, but I'm not sure if they're lacking the above things I care about. They have the wireless connection too.
  • CarsonRuns
    Options

No, it hasn't. I'd probably be able to get more life out of it if I bought I new wrist strap. The 405's are around the same price as the 205's and look smaller, but I'm not sure if they're lacking the above things I care about. They have the wireless connection too.

I just bought a new wrist strap kit for mine. 10 bucks.

http://www.gpscity.com/garmin-forerunner-205-305-arm-band.html
  • Chowder_17
    Options
    great! Thanks!
  • donrdon
    donrdon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I have a 405cx. It can do every thing you're looking for.....but I'm not sure it's smaller (it's fairly thick) The wireless connection is great. I've read that there has been some issues with the bezel when it's raining. Personally I haven't experienced any, but I set the display to want I want and then lock the bezel during my run. I had thought about up-grading to the 610 but it sounds like there's some serious charging issues with that model.
  • tenunderfour
    tenunderfour Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I upgraded my 205 to a 405cx (and yes it IS smaller). I like mine.... although I think the calorie burn based on the HRM is a bit low. I'm not the only one to have that observation. But, for running I love it.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I just finally ditch my 405 for a 610. Lots of design flaw issues with the 405 (touch bezel thinks it is being touched when you sweat on it = 100% of the time when I run...).

The 610 or 410 are good calls.
  • bzgl40
    bzgl40 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    This is way overkill for what you need, but I highly recommend the Garmin 910XT. I love the watch. I use to use the FR 305 and they appear to be about the same size but the 910XT is just structured different that it sits nicely on my very small wrists. Doesn't come cheap though. But, there is a dude out there that is a total geek when it comes to stuff like this and enjoys reviewing all various products. He has reviewed pretty much every Garmin, Polar, and Timex watch there is, and then some more. I highly recommend going out to his site and looking at his comparisons and picking from there. He is a triathlete but clearly knows what a runner needs, what a biker needs, and what a triathlete needs. http://www.dcrainmaker.com/
  • tenunderfour
    tenunderfour Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I just finally ditch my 405 for a 610. Lots of design flaw issues with the 405 (touch bezel thinks it is being touched when you sweat on it = 100% of the time when I run...).

The 610 or 410 are good calls.

Actually, I agree. The touch bezel can be a pain in the *kitten*.
  • 99cherrypie99
    99cherrypie99 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I just replaced my Polar with the Garmin Forerunner 410. It is awesome. Cheapest I found was on buy.com.
  • Chowder_17
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I will take all the considerations to heart :)
  • mikewpg1ca
    mikewpg1ca Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I have a 610 and from a GPS perspective it's great, it locks onto the satellites a lot fast than my old 205. From a style perspective it looks like a watch and is just a little larger than my Ironman watch, which is a big difference over my old 205, which was a block on my wrist.