Question about fat calories

Options
censu67
censu67 Posts: 53 Member
Hi all,

yesterday I cooked up some uncured nitrate free bacon. 70 cals for 2 slices. Naturally I did not add any oil. Once the bacon was cooked there was a ton of oil in the pan from the rendering of the bacon. With that in mind, does the above 70 cals include the fat or not?

Also, I then cooked 2 eggs in this bacon fat, can that be considered dry fried as I've already accounted for the cals?

Just curious.

Thanks

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I would assume it included the fat and wouldn't add calories for added fat that you didn't add.
  • censu67
    censu67 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Yeah it's not something that's obvious that's for sure.
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    About the eggs...You have to count the fat you fried them in.
  • ieva015
    ieva015 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    About the eggs...You have to count the fat you fried them in.

i really dont see how it works, because the calories comes from bacon.
    i would say no
  • msudaisy28
    msudaisy28 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I would guess that the calories included the fat because the amount after cooking would vary wildly depending on how long you cook it for. So for logging you have two options:

1) Log the bacon as 70 cals/2 slices and log the eggs per egg without adding additional calories for the fat since it's included in the bacon. This means that you're likely logging a few more calories than you're consuming, unless you lick the fat out of the pan too :tongue: The difference can't be that much if 2 slices is only 70 cals, and since calories are all an estimate anyway I would think it would be fine (I would do this one, personally)

2) Try to guestimate how many calories you left in the pan and log the bacon accordingly. Then you would need to add the calories for the fat you fried the eggs in.

Just do the best you can and don't worry too much about it!
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Bacon generally is considered 'drained' when they estimate calories, so likely that fat is not included

You do need to include it in the eggs, the same as if you'd added butter. Added fat is, well..ADDED