Many mini meals

Options
My trainer at the gym recommended that I try to eat 5 or 6 small meals a day - but I'm having a lot of trouble with this. I find that I'm getting very few green vegetables for one thing. But also, it seems to be very time-consuming in preparation. Does anyone have an example "menu" for one day that breaks up my meals, but still keeps me in a well-rounded diet?

Thanks!

Replies

• JuliaKia
    JuliaKia Posts: 11
    Options
    My trainer at the gym recommended that I try to eat 5 or 6 small meals a day - but I'm having a lot of trouble with this. I find that I'm getting very few green vegetables for one thing. But also, it seems to be very time-consuming in preparation. Does anyone have an example "menu" for one day that breaks up my meals, but still keeps me in a well-rounded diet?

Thanks!
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Ya know...the mini meals are good. You're supposed to eat something every 4 hours to keep your metabolism up, but seriously....the mini meals are good only if they work for you. Not everyone can do them, and they don't always work for everyone. I would suggest, eating your 3 meals a day (if that's what you are comfortable with) and just adding in like a 100-150 calorie snack to keep your metabolism running smoothly. You could eat an apple, or a healthy bar...or something just to keep the digestion going.
  • michprnces
    Options
    I just started this last week. An example of what I am doing:
    8 am South Beach Granola Bar - 100 calories
    10 am Medium Banana and Viactiv calcium chew - 125 calories
    12 pm 1 Light english muffin with 1 tbsp hummos, lettuce, green pepper, cucumber, sliced black olives. I also had 1 tbsp hummos with some baby carrots, cucumber, green pepper, 5 green olives, and 3 baby dill pickles. - 252 calories
    3 pm 2 stalks celery with 2 tbsp of peanut butter - 311 calories
    6 pm 1.25 servings rigatoni, 3/4 cup prego, 1 piece garlic toast - 553 calories
    8 pm 1.5 ounces Colby cheese - 120 calories

Total calories- 1461

I cut up all of the veggies for my snack and lunch the night before.

Hope this helps.
  • kris23
    kris23 Posts: 44
    Options
    I cooked up a few chicken breasts then weighed them into 2oz portions, I keep them in my freezer for a quick grab if I have to take protein somewhere later that day. I eat alot of salad ( and never seem to be sick of it) alot of my small meals are salad ( just a regular tossed salad) and chicken slices. I also bake a few yams and slice them up and keep them in the fridge, they stay good all week long. Prepping tons of mini meals can be time consuming but I found them if you cook alot one day then you are set all week long.
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I do the same as Kris, I cook a lot on my day off and freeze single serving portions: brown rice; beans; 4oz turkey burgers. I like to snack on yogurt or cheese with apples or asian pears. I take food that's easy to pack to campus or work. Usually I have veg for dinner when I'm home.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I don't really eat full fledged meals.. its normally a lot of snacking with some more substantial stuff at breakfast, lunch, and dinner times.

Here's my normal schedule:

7:30 - cottage cheese, apple butter, granola bar, maybe fruit
    10:30~11 - granola bar, or 25 almonds
    1:30~2 - subway sandwich (usually with lettuce, tomato, pickle, and jalepeno), along with some yogurt or milk
    4-5 - some nuts, or some cottage cheese. Possibly fruit
    7:30 - Dinner.. usually soup, possibly salad.

I don't really worry about having the big meals all the time... I figure its more about eating steadily through the day as opposed to eating '3 squares.'
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Here is a good article Banks found. It explains about staying in the fat burning zone by eating many small meals throughout the day.

http://www.fitsense.co.uk/fit_article.php?id=100
  • commonsensefitness
    commonsensefitness Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I really want to bust this myth. Common you need to brush your teeth after every meal. Do you think you can brush five to six times a day. I think Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner are great three combos which should fill you up. If your tank feels empty, fill it up with fresh gushing water.

The many mini meals has another serious problem. You become like a bunny who will eat the whole carrot yard, bite by bite, not counting all the assaults. It also sneaks in the late night rush to fridge. The multi mini meals are certainly NOT SOMETHING one should be doing.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    here is my daily meal plan, I took a photo of an average day for me. Now granted, I need a lot of food because I'm a big guy, and my carb/fat/protein ratio is different then what the site recommends (I do 55/22/23 for percentages)
    but here is an average day for me.

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm92/Banks1850/diary.jpg