need side dish ideas

Options
jenbridges
jenbridges Posts: 213 Member
I am needing some inspiration for dinner tonight. I am tired of the same old veggies and other side dishes. What do you do?

Replies

• kymillion
    kymillion Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    fruit salad...
    :)
  • helbohn
    helbohn Posts: 44
    Options
    Orange-Infused Roasted Green Beans and Red Peppers

Ingredients
    •1 pound organic green beans, trimmed
    •1 organic red bell pepper, thinly sliced
    •1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
    •Zest of 1 orange
    •1/2 teaspoon salt
    •1/4–1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper, to taste

Preparation

Preheat oven to 450°F. Toss green beans, bell pepper, and oil in a large bowl. Add orange zest, salt, and crushed red pepper to taste; toss to combine. Spread on a large baking sheet. Roast the vegetables, turning once halfway through cooking, until tender and slightly wilted, about 15 minutes.

Prep Time: 3 mins
    Cook Time: 15 mins
    Total Time: 18 mins

Nutrition Facts
    Number of Servings: 4
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories: 78
    Total Fat: 4 g
    Saturated Fat: 1 g
    Cholesterol: 0 mg
    Sodium: 298 mg
    Total Carbohydrate: 11 g
    Dietary Fiber: 5 g
    Protein: 2 g
  • EchoOfYourPast
    EchoOfYourPast Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Tonight i am fixing spinch/mushrooms in cream..yum!!
  • zsaoosh
    zsaoosh Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Couscous, any veggies, baked sweet potato, sweet potato fries, any fruit or fruit salad, beans, wheat honey rolls, brown rice cooked in chicken broth...boring I know. I need ideas too :laugh:
  • iiiEllie
    iiiEllie Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Check out skinnytaste.com she has a ton of side dishes that are quick and insanely delicious
  • txlissa62
    txlissa62 Posts: 128
    Options
    I love to mix rice and spinach together, and top it off with a bunch of pico de gallo. Tasty, filling and very few calories.
  • jaylee512
    jaylee512 Posts: 10
    Options
    I too need to learn how to make different / healthy side dishes. I have an issue with a fiance that is a weee bit picky and doesn't like too much super healthy food. (and by wee bit I mean A LOT) haha. I do love that skinnytaste website. The skinny taco dip looks easy and I bet you could even sub some of those items with healthier choices.
  • jenbridges
    jenbridges Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    mmm thanks for the yummy ideas! :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Fruit chat:
    1 banana, 1 apple, 1 orange(de-skinned). Slice them all up in tiny pieces, mix them all up. Add some 'chaat masala' if you can buy it from an Indian grocery store (big bag costs about $1). Very yummy. If chaat masala isn't an option, then just use some lime juice or lemon juice

lentil soup:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/taunto/view/lentil-soup-laal-daal-251611
    make this and put some lemon juice on it, viola!

Fiesta Lime rice:
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/04/fiesta-lime-rice.html

Chick pea salad:

1 can of chick-peas. If they're not soft enough to the point where they just break between your fingers after a little pressure then cook them some more. Boil up 1 potato, deskin it and put it with the now cooked and drained chick-peas. Add 1 tomato and 1 onion, some cilantro. Some 'chaat masala' is available, if not just use lemon juice or lime juice. Done

Green beans:
    Cut the green beans ends out and then snap the green beans in half. put the green beans into boiling water for about a minute, take out and put them in ice water. Saute some onion in oil, add the green beans into it and saute some more. Viola!
  • Mom0819
    Mom0819 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    bump