Replies

• Leimaro
    Leimaro Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Wait a minute! that's made with lard. jeez
  • Hemera
    Hemera Posts: 6
    Options
    I like to order fajitas and then just eat the meat and veggies with a fork, like a stir fry. If you skip the tortillas and sour cream (which I actually don't like anyway, don't know about you), it's pretty healthy. A lot of times they come with rice as a side, and you have to watch how much of that you eat, but otherwise it's basically grilled green peppers, onions, and chicken (or beef if you have more calories to spare).
  • jenbridges
    jenbridges Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    fajitas are a good option, as are soft shell "street" tacos, which are made with soft (not crispy or "hard shell") corn tortillas, and not flour tortillas. they usually come with just onions/tomatoes/cilantro and the meats are generally grilled. they are usually available a la carte, so you don't have to have the fattening beans and rice.
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    And yes, no lard in the masa mix is an abomination but the question was asking for healthier choices.
    Omitting the lard in the masa will bring the wrath of Quetzalcoatl!

200px-Quetzalcoatl_1.jpg
  • tmpayton
    tmpayton Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    bump-that pepper recipe sounds delish!
  • Justin031811
    Options
    paleo mexican food= grilled chicken or beef with cheese, guacamole, and peppers/onions

calorie counters: grilled chicken breasts, salsa/pico de gallo, peppers, tapatio, black beans

tortillas are a no go in all diets.
  • GasMasterFlash
    Options
    Glad I'm not on a diet, and can eat them in moderation. :drinker:
  • Justin031811
    Options

They're not horrible per say, but they are empty calories if someone is a calorie counter. For me, I try to stay away from all starch sorts, diet or not.
  • Leimaro
    Options
    And yes, no lard in the masa mix is an abomination but the question was asking for healthier choices.
    Omitting the lard in the masa will bring the wrath of Quetzalcoatl!

200px-Quetzalcoatl_1.jpg

LMAO, you're too funny!
  • ImNotThatBob
    ImNotThatBob Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Try a Chicken or Steak Tampiqueña

MG_6754.jpg

Steak smothered in Grilled Hatch Green Chile, Onions, Green and or Red Peppers, Jalapeño strips, and Tomatoes. Covered in melted Asadero or Pepper Jack Cheese. Hold the beans and Rice. Ask for some extra shredded lettuce. Usually comes with guacamole and sour cream. Add a Chile Relleno on the the same plate if you're hungry.

Thanks. Now I'm Hungry. LOL

Enjoy!
  • Leimaro
    Options

I love tortillas. Especially, chilaquiles and with cheese to make sure the wrath of quetzalcoatl is not released.
  • GasMasterFlash
    Options
    I love tortillas. Especially, chilaquiles and with cheese to make sure the wrath of quetzalcoatl is not released.
    Yes! Chilaquiles with eggs in the morning! Yesssss!
  • SweetSammie
    SweetSammie Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Fish tacos, an order is 3, but I usually put the filling from one into the other 2. Chile colorado isn't too bad by itself (as in, sub salad instead of rice and beans for sides).
  • jenbridges
    jenbridges Posts: 213 Member
    Options

2 corn tortillas are only 110 cal total. That's not bad, imo. Pretty low in fat, too. I don't eat much bread (i am gluten intolerant) but I eat a lot of corn tortillas!
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    I usually go with carne aseda, which is just a flank steak.