Bike Help

Options
judith3
judith3 Posts: 296 Member
Hey guys recently in an attempt to support my lifestyle change my dad got me a bike so that i could bike from school to work its not a fairly long distance but i have found that the current seat the bike has makes my butt and my lady parts very sore :(
I have been looking online for seats but i have no idea what kind to purchase if you guys could please suggest some good comfy seats i would really appreciate it!!

Oh i should probably add that the most i would bike would probably be 10 miles which is the distance from my house to the gym and back

And the bike i have is a Schwinn Ranger exactly like the one in the picture
2mmbpt4.jpg

Replies

• toysbigkid
    toysbigkid Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    you can get a gel seat, my butt is just getting better now after a month of riding so had the bike seat pain for quite awhile, go to a bike shop they will tell you what you need
  • toysbigkid
    toysbigkid Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    you do get used to it after awhile
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    How long have you been regularly using the bike? When I first started biking, it took me 1-2 weeks to stop being god-awful sore in my nether regions when I got done. Now I hardly notice at all.
  • sbertagnole
    Options
    A good local bike shop will be able to help you find a seat that's the right fit. You may pay alittle extra but it's worth and an investment in your health. I went through the same thing and with the help of female staff I found a gel seat that is a better fit and better support for women's wider hips.
  • cohophysh
    cohophysh Posts: 288
    Options
    come on down, we have a bike forum on MFP

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/361-bicycling-road-and-mountain

they do make seats that are cut away in the middle to eliminate pressure on the nether region, also, don't be fooled by padded seats, they can cause pressure as well.
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Check with a bike shop. They might actually let you test out different seats. But also don't forget bike shorts. There a reason cyclists wear them. They have a chamois in the crotch area that also helps cushion and distribute the weight. If you're not a fan of the spandex ones, they make some now that look like normal shorts.
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    If you just started riding it, that's normal. You get this "punched in the butt" feeling for a while. Even if you take a week or so off and go back, you may get it again. If you ride it regularly you'll get used to it and it will go away. If you've been riding it regularly and for a long time and still hurt, go to a bike shop.

Also, that still of bike should have you positioned where you're not so much on your "girl parts". If you are, then it may not be the right size for you, or it needs to be set up for you.

My suggestion is to take the entire bike to a bike shop and let them set it up for you.
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    *gives thanks she married a bike mechanic*

For me- the angle of the seat is super important as well as making sure the top tube isn't too long for me. I'm all leg and no torso so I need a shorter top tube so I'm not leaning too far forward and thus 'pinching the bits'.

Get thee to a bike shop ;)
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    I'll make a twentieth suggestion to go to a bike shop. But I'll also second the idea of the gel seat. They are usually the most comfortable but are not meant for long distances, which sounds like what you're looking for.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem when I got my bike. I got this seat:

http://bontrager.com/model/09875

I LOVE IT. Takes the "pressure" off your lady bits and is wide enough to sit back if you want if you have wide hips and a big butt like me.
  • cartoonsrcool
    Options
    Cloud 9 seats are awesome. They run about $25 on Amazon.
  • rmalford
    rmalford Posts: 58
    Options
    The suggestions of checking w a bike shop and women's seats and shorts are great.

Used to ride a lot on a brooks leather seat. Hard as a rock! Eventually it broke in, actually I think my butt broke in. Never figured out just transformation occurs o your butt to cause the change? Some suggest you build butt muscle...
  • judith3
    judith3 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys i will def be checking out the bike shop by my house and buying myself some shorts!