Diet Soda (for those who gave it up)

Fieldsy
Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
A lot of people give up diet soda for all the headaches, others, the chemicals. I love diet soda...it is a good alternative to water for me. I still drink a ton of water a day. I am drinking about 2 cans a day, not a huge amount, but still a decent amount.

My question is for the people who have given it up (I want people who to respond with no headache issues from diet soda). How do you feel now? Do you feel the same?

I know diet soda can trick some people into craving more food.....I was never like this either.

Replies

• Diet soda makes me want candy for some reason but it has never given me a headache so that's really weird that some people struggle with that. I drink probably a glass a week or maybe two. It doesn't hydrate you like water will so if I want an alternative I make different sorts of sun teas.
  • TeddyBear47
    TeddyBear47 Posts: 200 Member
    I am a yo yo dieter and binge alot. I gave up diet soda for this weight loss and I've only binged 3 times since Jan 1. I don't know if it has to do with giving up diet soda or not. I don't know if I feel better without it. I do feel btter but that usually comes with losing weight.
  • cheesy_blasters
    cheesy_blasters Posts: 283 Member
    I have drastically cut back my diet pop obsession. I might it a small glass every couple of days now. I find when I drink it, it makes me want to eat other bad stuff-chips, nachos, etc. Not really "more" food just stuff I'm trying to avoid. I think because that's always what I'd eat together at restaurants or my snacks.
    I find it's easiest to avoid it.

My current favourite drink is water with True Lemon or lemon slices (whatever I have around) and a few mint leaves. So good!

Do I feel better? I definitely don't have as much trouble sleeping as I used to. Most people I know who stay awake all night drink a lot of pop. This was for sure me. Now I usually fall asleep around 10 and wake up around 6. I'm happy with that. I also find my energy is more even through the day. I'm not as draggy in the morning( probably because I sleep more). I use to have a glass of pop when I woke up, like people would have coffee.

It has been a big struggle though. At first I felt like crap all the time...I just wanted my fizz and the caffeine!
  • Shawneb66
    Shawneb66 Posts: 124
    I used to drink 12-15 cans a day...and I now take a sip, maybe once a week. I do not have anymore headaches and Yes, I used to have them all the time. I totally miss my diet coke (Before I switched to Diet Coke I used to drink TAB) but I feel better and know it was the right choice!
  • dianacannon89
    dianacannon89 Posts: 235 Member
    Never had headaches from diet soda and I feel no different I was about a 6 a can a day drinker more if we were eating out. 0 difference 0!!!
  • spearfox
    spearfox Posts: 276 Member
    I haven't given up Diet Coke but I only have a drink every week or two.
    Never had a headache problem.
    My issue for not drinking as much was the weight fluctuations I saw on the scale. It was just water but it was getting to the point that I wasn't sure if I had true weight loss or water loss.
  • CynGoddess
    CynGoddess Posts: 188 Member
    after giving up diet soda, I have NO food cravings, not one. do not crave sweets or carbs like before. the artificial sweetners in diet sodas make you crave carbs on top of many other nasty side effects. I also have had no problems with my ulcer or reflux after giving them up.
  • marylouise123
    marylouise123 Posts: 127 Member
    I was drinking about 1 two liter a day of diet pepsi and days more.... I cut back to about maybe 2 glasses a day & the rest is water.. I craved food alot more when I used to drink more pop... I also just recently gave up the wylers flavor pouches because they to were making me crave food... I feel alot better cutting way down on both.. I still treat myself - but not like I used to... Good luck....
  • jzaz903
    jzaz903 Posts: 306 Member
    I've never had any reactions from diet soda... I started drinking more water instead one day, and then I didn't have $7 to spend on a 24-pack of diet coke, so here I am with just water.
    I used to drink at least 3-6 cans a day, now I'm downto about a can a week- and that's only when I'm out and already paying for a drink with my meal. I'd rather have water, but if they're going to charge me anyways, I may as well have a diet coke. I had it today for the first time in about 2 weeks, and it was super sweet, I couldn't even finish it.
  • ChrissyRMiller
    ChrissyRMiller Posts: 42 Member
    I used to drink 2-3 diet sodas a day. I've never had problems with headaches from the diet sodas either. At first when I gave up the soda I would get headaches from lack of caffeine. Now after about a month of being off the diet sodas I'm sleeping better and I've noticed I'm losing pounds quicker. I also realized it was when I really increased my intake of diet soda about 5 years ago is when I started gaining a lot of weight. Maybe it is just me, but this has been my experiences with diet soda. Now I might have a soda once in a while when I eat out.
  • lmcadam2
    lmcadam2 Posts: 9
    I gave up diet soda... I never had headaches from it but I do have to say that I feel better now that I have stopped. I sometimes have flavored sparkling water now or vitamin water to have something to switch it up from water... It was a lot easier to cut it out than I thought it would be though!
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    http://www.cancer.org/Cancer/CancerCauses/OtherCarcinogens/AtHome/aspartame
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/29/diet-soda-weight-gain_n_886409.html

I'm not saying that I never drink soda any more, but I try not to, and I would definitely say that diet soda is NOT a good alternative to water.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    i switched to zevia a long time ago, a no calorie naturally sweetened soda.
    i never experienced headaches, it wasn't difficult for me to cut out (i never drank too much of it anyway)
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    I rarely drink it these days. I gave it up because it was giving me headaches, anxiety (too much caffeine) from drinking WAY too much because I was addicted once I got started with it... LOL, and because my husband *****es at me for drinking it.
  • A lot of people give up diet soda for all the headaches, others, the chemicals. I love diet soda...it is a good alternative to water for me. I still drink a ton of water a day. I am drinking about 2 cans a day, not a huge amount, but still a decent amount.

My question is for the people who have given it up (I want people who to respond with no headache issues from diet soda). How do you feel now? Do you feel the same?

I know diet soda can trick some people into craving more food.....I was never like this either.

i never realized how much i like diet soda til i gave it up. I did so almost 2 weeks ago. i do have an urge to have one every now and then but i push past it and move forward... I dont know if i have and side effects or now, but my doc said diet soda causes belly fat and that i want to get rid of...
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Diet soda makes me crave more things with sugar...so I have cut it out! I feel great now. I have gone for months now. I was out with a friend and ordered one, I have to say it didn't taste so good. I was very surprised.....I thought it was going to taste so great....like I used to think it did.
  • lilojoke
    lilojoke Posts: 427 Member
    I haven't drank a soft drink in over six years! I just drink water or protein shakes. The odd oranje juice but usually just water. Diet soda makes me crave more sugars etc. it's really about habit!
  • Kara52217
    Kara52217 Posts: 353 Member
    I stop and start regularly.
    I actually stopped again about a week ago. Feeling good the first few days are the worst because my body misses the caffeine but once I get over that hump I feel so much better!
  • steflbrown
    steflbrown Posts: 168
    I used to drink only diet soda. Barely anything else. Cut it out entirely... for a while. Now occasionally have one or two when I'm out. I don't feel any different. Don't miss the caffeine. If I feel a caffeine headache coming on, I will drink some tea. But try to avoid relying on pop.
  • _SpeshK_
    _SpeshK_ Posts: 496 Member
    I had a headache when I gave it up, but it never gave me a headache. I was raised on Diet Coke/Pepsi/etc and I still indulge just every once in awhile. I feel much better, mainly because I get that much more water in. I really did it for myself, to challenge myself. And because of all the "unknown" bad factors of diet coke.