Need more fats

Options
So I am a vegetarian and eat mostly vegan. I do not think I am getting enough fat in my diet. I make my own salad dressing and when I sauté vegetables I use very little oil. I eat some chia seeds which have high fat for the serving size. I am just wondering what I can add to my diet that has healthy fats? I eat avocados a few times a week and I occasionally eat nut butters.

I really dislike the taste of eggs and dairy and need to avoid soy products. I like eating whole foods, nothing processed and strange.

Thanks in advanced for your ideas and comments.

Replies

• Mmmary212
    Mmmary212 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    fry your vegetables in coconut oil...eat coconut oil....drink coconut oil...bathe in coconut oil.
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Almonds are delicious and packed with healthy fats. Coconut oil is also very good for you - if you make fruit smoothies, you can slip a spoonful of a more mild oil into the blender to thicken up your shake and get those omega-3's.
  • cheesy_blasters
    cheesy_blasters Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Udo's oil is good to add to smoothies or use in recipes.

One thing I also did was find a really high quality olive oil (I got mine from a specialty olive oil shop http://www.allthingsolive.ca) that was flavoured with lime. It taste good drizzled on tomatoes with herbs (lazy bruschetta), I've tried it on popcorn, on regular corn with chilis.
    You could probably find something similar or make something yourself. Just make sure it's super high quality oil or it will taste funny.

If you like chia, hemp hearts are another good (and similar) option.
  • NeverEverEasy
    Options
    fry your vegetables in coconut oil...eat coconut oil....drink coconut oil...bathe in coconut oil.

This ^^
    Also use it as hair conditioner, It gives it a ton of shine.
  • GrandmaCarole
    GrandmaCarole Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Olives are a good, healthy choice. I get peanut butter made from roasted peanuts and the grocery or health food store. They don't add oil. Peanut oil is also tasty when used with stir fried veggies as well as sesame oil. Add seeds and oils to salads. Just measure and count everything.:flowerforyou:
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options

This ^^
    Also use it as hair conditioner, It gives it a ton of shine.

I tried it this week for dandruff. Works too!

I occasionally put coconut oil in my coffee. Or coconut milk, but it doesn't have as much fat. Macadamia nuts. I eat at least half an avocado almost daily. NOM.
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    Like other people said: nuts, olives, coconut milk. Maybe add more of what you're already eating, like nut butters, avocado, seeds (I put flaxseed meal in my oatmeal), etc.

Oh, and hemp milk. It's usually more expensive, but I also think it's better than all the other dairy replacement drinks.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Nuts and seeds! Almonds, walnuts, cashews, pepitas, etc.
  • vypeters
    vypeters Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Nuts, seeds, nut and seed butters.

My go to is natural nut butters. They make them now in a variety of awesome combinations.