A little off topic (girlish topic)

Options
So I've been having pains in my ovaries off and on for months now (about 7 or so to be more exact). I finally made an appt with the obgyn. She figured out I have a cyst on one of my ovaries and tossed around the word 'endometriosis' (which is a disease that can make women infertile at times). So either way, I'm 21, and I walk out of the doctor's office wondering if I could have cancer, a disease that means I could never have kids or it's going to be really hard to, or I have nothing at all. I got an ultrasound last wednesday morning and they FINALLY called me back, well my mom. And the nurse said I needed to come in and get another ultrasound done so the doctor could have a better look because it's a 'complex cyst'. And from what they could already see it looks like it could be a dermoid cyst (sparing the details of how they know, you can look up and see what they usually have inside). And this means that I'd have surgery. It's a major one. And depending on what they do, I could be out for anywhere between 3 days to 2 weeks and sometimes even a month (majorly depending on how well i recover and if they have to remove more stuff out of me). Any way, after learning all this and freaking out that it could still be cancerous. I am still upset. I ate a really bad lunch (mcdonalds, bad things!!). I'm stressed and worried. And I feel like everything that i've planned for this summer to get healthy and fit is going to go down the drain when i'm out for the surgery (if that happens). I just need some motivation, not only to keep my head up for whatever news I get in the next for days but also to help me stay on track or at least get my mind off this crap. Sending out an S.O.S. Please help!

Replies

• raingirl32
    raingirl32 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hello. I just wanted to let you know not to panic!! I too have a complex dermoid cyst on my left ovary so this is what I've learned.

First, ask for the blood test that tests for something in your blood that would indicate ovarian cancer if the cyst was cancerous. I forget the name of it but apparently it's almost 100% reliable.

If the test is negative, there is no need to remove the cyst most likely (depending on how big it is though). Mine is 4cmX5cm (about the size of a large apricot). I've known about mine for about 7 years and it's only grown a little in that time. The reason I was told to leave mine there is because if the cyst is removed, it can damage the ovary permanently and cause it not to function (and you lose your fertility on that side which would suck). I ONLY have a left side because my right tube is blocked and I am undergoing fertility treatments so I don't want to risk damaging the ovary by removing it.

You are young still so if you can hold off, I would. Unless it's like large like a grapefruit...that's a different story.
  • Emerald_Jen
    Emerald_Jen Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm short on motivation (it's just not a strength), but here are some practical tidbits that are easier said then done:

You want to eat healthier and be thinner (according to your profile) - and this can be done regardless of if you are recovering from surgery! Diet is more important than exercise. You don't have to let your health be sidetracked over all.

It is rare for a dermoid cyst to be malignant (from what I understand), so make sure that your worrying is in proportion to your risk. :)

And I'm sure you know that one lunch is one lunch - you don't have to let it affect your dinner or tomorrow!

I KNOW YOU CAN DO IT. I'm sorry that you are worrying right now, and I have positive thoughts being sent your way.
  • zophiel67
    zophiel67 Posts: 181
    Options
    You want to eat healthier and be thinner (according to your profile) - and this can be done regardless of if you are recovering from surgery! Diet is more important than exercise. You don't have to let your health be sidetracked over all.

And I'm sure you know that one lunch is one lunch - you don't have to let it affect your dinner or tomorrow!

I KNOW YOU CAN DO IT. I'm sorry that you are worrying right now, and I have positive thoughts being sent your way.

Ditto!

Also, losing weight will make surgery less risky and will improve signs & symptoms of most diseases, including "female problems." So continue on your journey as long as your OB/GYN doesn't instruct you otherwise. You can even ask if there are particular exercises you will be able to do during recovery (ie bicep curls or other arm isolators) or things you should work on now. Pelvic floor exercises may help some of your pain, should you choose not to proceed with surgery immediately.

Good luck and godspeed!
  • Aes37850
    Aes37850 Posts: 48
    Options
    Hello. I just wanted to let you know not to panic!! I too have a complex dermoid cyst on my left ovary so this is what I've learned.

First, ask for the blood test that tests for something in your blood that would indicate ovarian cancer if the cyst was cancerous. I forget the name of it but apparently it's almost 100% reliable.

If the test is negative, there is no need to remove the cyst most likely (depending on how big it is though). Mine is 4cmX5cm (about the size of a large apricot). I've known about mine for about 7 years and it's only grown a little in that time. The reason I was told to leave mine there is because if the cyst is removed, it can damage the ovary permanently and cause it not to function (and you lose your fertility on that side which would suck). I ONLY have a left side because my right tube is blocked and I am undergoing fertility treatments so I don't want to risk damaging the ovary by removing it.

You are young still so if you can hold off, I would. Unless it's like large like a grapefruit...that's a different story.

Best thing I've read on the internet today! I go tomorrow to get the next ultrasound done as well as blood work. I'm guessing a CA 125 for cancer. I'll know more tomorrow. It's still very scary and I really don't want surgery if I don't have to. I could ignore what's inside the dermoid cyst if it means I won't need surgery and have it removed later if I wanted.

And yes, one lunch is one lunch. Sometimes I need to be reminded of that. I still have some calories left for the rest of the day and it wouldn't kill me to go a bit over today considering the news and that I won't be able to eat for like 12-15 hours from tonight until tomorrow afternoon.

Thank you ladies! I feel a lot better now, especially hearing from someone who has this cyst. And I hope your fertility treatments work!

=]
  • steph5969
    steph5969 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi, I had an ovarian cyst just over a year ago. It was on my left ovary, the size of a grape fruit. You must have blood work and an ultra sound. I had a microscopic surgery, it is nothing to major, The only thing that hurt was the IV and I got over it fast (I have a very low pain tolerance). Afterward, just relax because the left over gas will hurt if you get up. I was okay after about 2 weeks, and I did light walking, just eat healthy, and less if you can :) You are healthier without the cyst over all!! The surgery was very easy!
  • raingirl32
    raingirl32 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Yes, CA 125 is the test.

Since you are young, you want to preserve your fertility if you can. I'm almost 34 and been trying to get preggers for 5+ years. The cyst makes it so that my left ovary doesn't function all that well, but it's the only side with a tube so I'm not taking the risk of removing the cyst just yet (I don't want to do IVF if I can avoid it!)

Best of luck tomorrow! It will be fine, I'm sure. If you can manage the pain and the docs can't find a good reason to take it out, then try to work around it if you can while you lose weight. You can always have the doc to monitor it via ultrasound every few months.
  • steph5969
    steph5969 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Also, hormones from having a cyst make you gain weight, and women with endrometriosis tend to be heavier! If you get it removed, you will start getting healthier faster ! It makes a hugh difference so you can start dropping weight
  • karenstep
    karenstep Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I had a dermoid tumor removed about 2 years ago - it was 7m and i was having many symptoms from it - hormones were way out of wack! First, try not to worry, I know it's hard - likelyhood of cancer is very, very low (like 1% of dermoids are cancerous). Like others have said, the CA125 and ultrasound are pretty standard. If you do have the surgery, I was unable to exercise for about 2 weeks - the first week you won't feel like it anyway (I had a ton of pain from the gas - incision was through the belly button) but by week 2 I was feelng better. As soon as I had my 2 week followup and doc said all looked good, I started walking again (3 miles) and about a week after that I started the C25K running program. I definitely got tired out sooner and there was a little achiness after exercise, but it wasn't bad.

The only other thing I wanted to mention is the before I had the cyst removed I had a terribly difficult time losing weight - I'd lose but it was painfully slow. As soon as the surgery was over and I began exercising again, I lost weight much quicker and very consistently. I do think that hormones play a big role in it, so having it removed may not be a bad idea, especially if you are experiencing pain from it.
  • Aes37850
    Aes37850 Posts: 48
    Options
    Ugh! Yes! My hormones have definitely been out of whack the past few months for sure. The pain isn't as bad anymore, but it really scared me when I was spotting AFTER my period was definitely over. And I'm a virgin, so no preggers there. Hopefully if I do have to get it removed it will help me lose weight faster. That'd be a nice perk, as well as my hormones being back in control and not feeling everything like it's 100 times worse than it really is.

Thank you all for the support and good wishes.
    Crossing my fingers for tomorrow!

Thanks again ladies
  • takehimaway
    takehimaway Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    -hugs- [I could go on a giant rant about what went down with me - I had a hysterectomy when I was twenty-two, but I will spare you my sob story.] I'll pray for you, and hope everything will be okay, and if you need a friend, I'll be here, if you ever need to vent or talk. <3
  • HeidiSmith419
    HeidiSmith419 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I have a friend going through this surgery soon too. Though she is passed childbearing I've read enough with her to know I wouldn't risk my life and health over an ovary. You have two ;) only takes one to get preg. Get a second opinion of course but keep a close eye on it. Hers has grown to the size of a grapefruit in under 2years (she has previous scans where it is non existent).

You might not be able to work out but you can control what you put in your mouth. having a stressful day and eating McD's isn't going to run you off track but daily choices will keep your weightloss going.
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    You can do it! I don't have anything really to say other than my family has had our own share of women's issues and it's not fun. Hope all goes well!