Student comments

BlackBeltLJ
BlackBeltLJ Posts: 190
edited September 18 in Health and Weight Loss
Monday is the day I force my 6th period to go outside (for a few of them it is forcing) I told the kids 4 laps (1 mile) You would have thought that I told them 4 miles. The moans and groans. My assistant and I power walked 4 laps and them cool down walk for 1. Most of my kids quit after 2 laps. I told them that they were being put away by an old lady (anyone with teenagers will tell you that they think anyone over 20 is old) I had one smart mouth :grumble: (wouldn't walk at all even though he is on the football team and the track team) who said "you won't loose weight walking)- I told him that he is unobservant- I already had lost weight.

On the other hand, I had a young man who is partially paralyzed on one side who walked/ran 4 laps with me and never quit. :flowerforyou:

The three smart mouths who were talking down are the ones who loose- and what would their moms/grandmoms say:frown:

WE are not stopping for loud mouth bad attitudes!

Replies

• BlackBeltLJ
    Monday is the day I force my 6th period to go outside (for a few of them it is forcing) I told the kids 4 laps (1 mile) You would have thought that I told them 4 miles. The moans and groans. My assistant and I power walked 4 laps and them cool down walk for 1. Most of my kids quit after 2 laps. I told them that they were being put away by an old lady (anyone with teenagers will tell you that they think anyone over 20 is old) I had one smart mouth :grumble: (wouldn't walk at all even though he is on the football team and the track team) who said "you won't loose weight walking)- I told him that he is unobservant- I already had lost weight.

On the other hand, I had a young man who is partially paralyzed on one side who walked/ran 4 laps with me and never quit. :flowerforyou:

The three smart mouths who were talking down are the ones who loose- and what would their moms/grandmoms say:frown:

WE are not stopping for loud mouth bad attitudes!
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    you go girl!!!!!!!!

I think its awesome you're having them get out and exercise! And omg....my heart melted visualizing the student that kept up w/ you!!!! bless his spirit....isn't that always the way...those who have take forgranted dont' they....hopefully they'll catch the bug and join in....but don't stop....you're doing great!

hugs!
    Ali
  • auntkaren
    auntkaren Posts: 1,490 Member
    I think your doing a wonderful thing for your students, keep up the good work especially for the ones that do it with you. There are exercises I do now, that I did ages ago in gym , which I don't think it ever leaves your mind what you learn young.:flowerforyou:
  • teetsel4
    teetsel4 Posts: 288 Member
    Here's a story to tell your students.....

last school year at the end of Sept. I walked my kids to school. A dad we know and a few boys were running around the field at school. The Sunday before, the dad came to the school with his GPS and a lawn mower and cut a track exactly 1/4 mile. My son says "what are you guys doing?" They say "we're running". With that my son drops his back back and started running with them for no other reason then, they were doing it and it was fun. I had to go to the office for something, by the time I came back, there had to have been 50 kids running the track for no other reason then, they were doing it and it was fun. Teachers and the Principal all came out to see what was going on. They couldn't believe how many kids just started running for fun.

On that day the school running club was born. Since then the whole school is involved. Every class runs every week, if not every day. Last year the students ran the circumfrence of the Earth. They have worked out a system to track each students progress. For every lap they run/walk they get a popcycle stick. Then at the end a parent or teacher records how many laps the student did. For every mile, they earn a foot charm that they keep on a neclace. The kids wear them everyday. The school has been featured in running mags, on TV, news papers. Not only do the classes run every week/day, but on Mon. Wed. and Fri the running club is there 30 mins before school for the kids to run. We are very proud of our school and the running club. Oh and by the way this is K thru 5th.

I think one of the things that makes me tear up everytime I think about it, is one mother who's son was very over weight came to see what was going on and cried when she saw her son running. She never seen his exercise before. Also there is a little girl who is wheel chair bound, and she too is out there doing laps with the rest of the kids. How inspiring is that?!

Anyhow, keep of the good work! And get those kids out there! Who knows where this can lead. Even if you get one student hooked on fitness, then you've done a wonderful thing!:flowerforyou:
  • JuliaKia
    JuliaKia Posts: 11
    What a great story! Any chance you can tell us a website on which to look up the story?
  • teetsel4
    teetsel4 Posts: 288 Member
    What a great story! Any chance you can tell us a website on which to look up the story?

http://206.110.209.60/Site/Rancho_Running_Club.html

I will try to see if I can get some of the archived articles online and email them to you in this site. Good luck!
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    That is totally awesome. I know my 12 year old hates to run. But it is great that you took your class out.

Ever thought of pedometers in the class? I have heard classes do it and the person with the most steps well I don't know but a rewars of some kind. Maybe get to choose an activity for everyone? Anyway that is excellent. Glad you were out.
  • BlackBeltLJ
    I just picked up my own pedometer today. Since we are 5 weeks until the end of the year and 2 of those are involved with finals, I am looking at what you suggest for next year. As long as I ignore the smart mouths, the rest of us enjoy it. It is so hard when a couple of kids work so hard to ruin it for everyone else. I guess that they would rather sit and pout than get out there and move.

Our elementary schools do the "toe token" system. I will look into it for next year.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,788 Member
    I was one of those kids back in my day.:blushing: I would have never told someone they were fat or couldn't lose weight, but I hated, hated, hated, any team sports activity. I'm a complete exercise fanatic now. Today is my "day off" and I did 90 minutes of yoga and 3.5 miles walking. There's hope for them yet.
  • JuliaKia
    Me, too. I was traumatized by my high school gym teacher, and since then have really hated running and team sports (always feeling like I was the bumbling idiot who lost the game for everyone else). In college, I started swimming, and found a sport that I was actually pretty good at, and one where my big feet were an advantage (built-in flippers!:laugh: ) rather than something to trip over. Since then, I've also started trying aerobics classes at the gym (I'm certainly not graceful, but at least it's only MY problem:tongue: ) and, most recently, kickboxing! (Take THAT evil gym teacher! Pow! Bam! Whop!) In the classes, I don't have to exercise totally solo, which is nice, but I feel comfortable and non-competitive. :tongue:

I checked out the website - very cool! I especially love the miles-by-grade idea. Way to encourage team-work! :happy:
  • JuliaKia
    oops! double post!
  • JuliaKia
    oh no! triple post! :blushing:
This discussion has been closed.