Support

Options
I personally am having a hard time believing hat most of the people here are supportive.

For example, I have seen several member's profile stating that if you have an Eating Disorder do not add them as a friend. All that comes to mind for me, is that we are ALL here to become healthy, yes?

Wouldn't that person with the eating disorder NEED just as much or more support than someone beginning to lift weights, no offence to anyone at all. I think the person with the eating disorder NEEDS more SUPPORT and CARING PEOPLE than the person pumping iron.

Like I said we are ALL here for our health, to be happy with ourselves. So why discriminate against those that REALLY need someone to help them? I think its selfish for those people to say that in their profile, when you don't know what that person has gone through to be that way.

Replies

• Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    I started on this site to get healthy, and lose some weight. I have to say it has really worked for me. I have also gained alot of support from this site, and I'm very thankful for each one of them who helped me reach my goal!!

Good luck to you : )
  • fitforlifeee
    Options
    Couldn't agree with you more! :)
  • etrader24
    etrader24 Posts: 21
    Options
    amen (: good luck to you!
  • liftingheavy
    liftingheavy Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I would rather someone be honest about what kinds of friends they would like. In the case of someone with an ED, who knows, I could have an ED, and seeing the diary of someone like that could trigger me.

I just have a really positive group of friends. I want to come to the site and feel motivated, not depressed.

Now, I do not have an ED, and would not have a problem having friends with an ED. Overeating is an ED... But if I did not see positive movement towards health I would probably de-friend. It's just too much for me.

If someone is starving themselves, we can support them, but unless it is coupled with professional help, it may do more harm than good.
  • ArtemisMoon
    ArtemisMoon Posts: 144
    Options
    Some people just do not know how to handle interactions with someone with obvious issues, so it is reasonable to avoid it rather than getting themselves into an unpleasant or sticky situation. If you see someone starving themselves or something else that isn't healthy, do you say something? What do you say? Depending on the person the best thing to say could vary wildly, and if you say the wrong thing it could hurt the person in question much more than help. So often it is easier to not deal with it. Some people are good at dealing with others in difficult situations and some aren't. Maybe this isn't the reason for all, but I am sure it is for some. So just like no one should judge a person with an eating disorder, no one should judge someone's personal preferences, especially while not knowing the motives first. :)