Eating past 8pm

Options
Ok, so we've all heard that eating past 8pm means you're going to gain weight.

My problem is I eat supper normally between 5:30pm-7pm then I tend to exercise in the evening because it's the best time for me to do it. Though I find after I do my half hour to 45 minutes, I'm hungry. So I sometimes have a yogurt or an apple to help that and bring up my total calories a day. If my calories are fine for the day, I tend to have a cup of green tea.

Does that mean, I'm going to see no weight loss if I do have a little snack after I exercise at night?

Thanks

Replies

• liftingheavy
    liftingheavy Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I have heard that as well. I regularly eat after 8:00. I sleep better if I have something in my stomach. Usually it's a greek yogurt or cottage cheese.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    You can eat whenever you want. It doesn't make any difference.
  • oOTaraOo
    oOTaraOo Posts: 29
    Options
    I regularly eat dinner at 10.30pm as I go rockclimbing straight after work and don't get home till late and still manage to lose weight. I don't really believe all the myths out there - as long as your calories are fine for the day there should not be an issue.
  • DemiRaye
    DemiRaye Posts: 37
    Options
    I'm pretty sure this is a myth...
  • Kandigirl05
    Kandigirl05 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I don't think a light snack after a pm workout will hurt. When I think of not eating after 7 or 8p, I think more along the lines of heavy foods or big meals. I have a snack after 8pm a few times a week and I'm losing weight just fine. Best of luck to you!
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    You can eat whenever you want. It doesn't make any difference.

^ This. I eat every night from 9pm-11pm. Guess what? I've lost 20lbs.
  • Horu
    Horu Posts: 8
    Options
    Awesome! Thanks!! :) I don't feel bad anymore for doing it! Haha~
  • shakespearessister
    Options
    My 3 month old nurses for a couple hours in the evenings, so I'm sitting on my behind reading or watching netflix, or surfing on the internet. Of course, I want to eat. As long as I leave myself calories for that grazing in the evening, I continue to lose weight.
  • jayjrf
    jayjrf Posts: 25
    Options
    No.

You will need the small amount of energy through the night. You don't want to eat dinner late on a normal basis, but something like an apple or yogurt should be fine. If you can, try cottage cheese with fruit sauce instead of yogurt. Has less plain sugar and has some protein.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Not true, unless you have a medical issue that dictates how close to bedtime you can eat (like acid reflux)
    Eating after 8 pm itself is not an issue. I work shiftwork and often eat most of my calories after 8 pm with no negative impact.
  • htmlgirl
    htmlgirl Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Just don't go over your calories... I think the advice comes from people eating a ton of junk food at as a result eating over their calorie allowance for the day. I try to stop eating a couple hours before I go to bed, but if I'm starving I like to have something small, just so my stomach is growling when I'm trying to fall asleep. I don't think there's a magical time, but if you have trouble falling asleep (because you're too hungry or too full) you may want to adjust accordingly.