Cheat Day

Options
I have heard and read that you are supposed to cheat on one meal, one day of the week. I have even read in some books to take the whole day and eat whatever whenever. I don' t know if this is a good idea or not. Any thoughts? I want to do it, I am just not sure if it will sabotage my weight loss goal or not.

Replies

• westdove
    westdove Posts: 174
    Options
    I refuse to, if I can avoid by any means. I am enjoying a new lifestyle and dont want to take any risks setting myself back. I have had situations where that one meal set me back a pound or two!
  • angelashay42
    angelashay42 Posts: 286
    Options
    I eat whatever I want but I don't go over my calories. I find that works best for me.
  • liftingheavy
    liftingheavy Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I have a cheat day every week, usually on Saturday. I eat whatever I want that day, and I did not have a problem getting to my goal weight.

The thing is, self control is critical - if one cheat day will trigger another, and another, and another driving you off the wagon, it's better not to have a cheat day at all.

I had about 15 lbs to lose once I got here. I found that confusing my body with a high calorie day kicked it into gear when I went back to a normal calorie day and exercise.

Just me though.
  • Melonhead
    Melonhead Posts: 168
    Options
    I don't usually just fall off the wagon - I JUMP. I don't trust myself to have an entire day of cheating. Why not plan your day ahead of time. You can plug in all of the food you're going to eat. if you've got the calories left, well then have that cheesecake or whatever...

Or, you could pay for it ahead of time with exercise. that's why I stopped eating donuts, not really worth 30 minutes on the treadmill.
  • HealthfulLife
    HealthfulLife Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I allow myself a cheat day once a week as well.. it allows your body's metabolism to essentially reset itself. Put simply, by tricking your metabolism it will need to work harder to burn calories after a cheat day!

With this being said, if you are able to be in control of what you eat, a cheat day is completely fine. Although if you feel as though you will fall into bad habits by allowing a cheat day, perhaps it's not the best idea. Like mentioned, if it is only a cheat meal or 1 day, it should not affect your ability to lose weight long term!

Good luck! cheat days/ meals are always good to look forward to!
  • Penelope2Plyr
    Penelope2Plyr Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    That's not for me, cause if I cheat, especially on purpose, I cannto gain control again the next meal or day. Cheat, yes I do, but not planned intentionally. No way!
  • jdmonet
    jdmonet Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I allow myself a cheat meal once a week on Saturdays. I stay with in my calorie intake. This really help me fee like I'm not deprived. It is controlled and I go back to my food plan the next meal. When I did this I lost 3lbs.

The main thing is to PLAN you cheat meal in advance. Plan what you are going to have, count the calories. I do not half hazardly go out and get whatever. This time around I feel good about it because I I thought it through first.

Listen to what you body is telling you.
  • sharlowbrla
    Options
    its too hard to get back on track. i am trying to relearn how to eat. i feel so much better off sugar. i don't want to reintroduce it to my body. now i did have pizza tonite but i earned the calories today so i had them without going over.
  • bratleen
    bratleen Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I have a cheat day, Saturday, and I do go over my normal calories, but I don't go to an extreme. It throws your body off especially if your normal calorie intake is on the lower end (1200 caloreis) of the spectrum. I tend to work out a little longer on the weekends so it does help to have the extra calories then too.
  • sthrnchick
    sthrnchick Posts: 771
    Options
    I dont know about you are SUPPOSED to...but if I really really want something... I think about it first...and if I really want it..I will have it...whether its pizza or icecream.. I am in this for the long haul... and not going to deprive myself if I truly want it...

I think about it long and hard to make sure its not just boredom eating ( my problem...) and if its a craving... I have it. 24 pounds lost in 3 months and a week... so, yes, it works!
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I am allowing for one cheat day a month. This month its my birthday. But I am not going to go overboard. I dont want to go backward. I can have an enjoyable meal without breaking the bank, so to speak.
  • ZivileZu
    ZivileZu Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I've tried sticking to "perfect" diets (as in ballanced and 100% healthy), I've tried doing the up day/down day diet (where you eat below your calorie goal and eat totally healthy one day and eat the same amount above your calorie goal the other day where you can also eat whatever you felt like). The latter worked well for me, but it's not sustainable with busy schedules and all. I also tried other combinations that included cheat days, but then the result for me was negative - I started cheating more than one day a week and for the rest of the days I had a constant feeling of deprivation that made me obsessed with food.

Now I simply eat what I feel like and when I feel like it - just make sure I control the portions and stick to the daily calorific allowance. This is the only type of dieting that works for me.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I would never risk that, but I did allow myself some extra on the weekend when I'm more likely to have guests for dinner. I build up reserves on Friday, Saturday, Sunday by not using up the exercise calorie losses.

However, I'm thinking of stopping that since it will slow the weight loss
  • MonicaT1972
    MonicaT1972 Posts: 512
    Options
    I did it yesterday and I am regretting it again! Now I need to get off the carbs and I'm craving everything. I hate cheat days!!!
  • knewme76
    knewme76 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I will tell you this from experience I have been doing the south beach diet since march and I have lost 33 pounds , my weight loss stalled around 22 pounds lost so i added a cheat day in once a week and the pounds started coming off again. the key is to tricking your metabolism into thinking you are doing something different.:happy: