Runners who wear glasses...

Options
What do you do in the rain? I went for a quick run in a drizzle today and decided to leave my glasses at home because I figured I wouldn't be able to see with them due to water. It SUCKED not being able to see! Any tricks/tips I'm missing? I know one solution would be to not go out in the rain, but that's not always an option... :wink:

Replies

• dward2011
    dward2011 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I wear a baseball cap or visor on days that it may rain. If it does my glasses don't get wet.
  • batalina
    batalina Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    i had this same problem this evening, and i'm a new runner so i can't speak from experience, but i am going to get a hat soon, with a brim -- apparently, there are special running hats? -- and hope that helps. wearing, like, a baseball cap helps if you just happen to be outside when it's raining, so i figure something similar while running would also be good.
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    Wearing a hat helps.
  • Araucaria29
    Araucaria29 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Hmmm.... Contacts? I always wear them for my workouts.
  • CapsFan17
    CapsFan17 Posts: 198
    Options
    I wear contacts, but maybe try a visor or hat.
  • dorkusmalorkus
    Options
    contacts. i cant wear glasses working out in general because i sweat like im in jumanji. they wouldnt stay on my face unless i superglued them!
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Yeah, a hat with a bill is about the best I can come up with. I wear a Nike DriFit hat when I run outside.
  • cammons
    cammons Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Hats help more than you might think, but not if you're running through a wall of water.

I usually go without the "eyeballs"; tried to do the contact thing but never could get them in my eyes. (I can hardly do eye drops, so it isn't much of a surprise.)

Happy trails!
  • KWKY
    KWKY Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Definitely a baseball cap and contacts... otherwise glasses just fog up and you get nowhere (literally)
  • Morior87
    Morior87 Posts: 14
    Options
    Get contact lenses :P

I'm wearing soft toric lenses which I'd consider a better option than laser eye surgery. I wear one pair of contact lenses for a month straight, that includes sleeping with them in. Then when the month is up, i take them out and instantly pop a new pair in again. I actually forgot that I used to wear glasses.

Only one downside, a slight increase of "Sleep" around your eyes when you wake up in the morning.
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    I have a hat that I always wear when I'm running - help keeps the rain off my glasses, the hair out of my face, and the sun from burning my scalp (I'm very fair skinned and burn in a very short amount of time).
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I don't wear my glasses when I run. I realized how bad my eyesight has gotten when I was running through my neighborhood one day and I waved hello to a mailbox!
  • tabulator32
    tabulator32 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    A good coating of RainX works well.
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    I don't wear my glasses when I run. I realized how bad my eyesight has gotten when I was running through my neighborhood one day and I waved hello to a mailbox!

OMG.....ROFLMAO!!!!!
  • nermal6873
    nermal6873 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the quick replies! Unfortunately contacts don't work well for me :( I guess next time I know it'll be raining I'll be sure to wear my visor.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    A good coating of RainX works well.

This. They also sell a special "RainX" (different brand) especially for glasses, but RainX seems to do the same thing for way less money.
  • airlily
    airlily Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I stay home and Zumba when it rains. On top of hating my glasses getting dotted with water, my puppy gets soaked. XD
  • knk1553
    knk1553 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    contacts. i cant wear glasses working out in general because i sweat like im in jumanji. they wouldnt stay on my face unless i superglued them!

^^ this is me too, I seriously sweat like you see a 600 pound man sweat...and I'm 135lbs. I would say a hat though!
  • nrdoty
    nrdoty Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Get contact lenses :P

I'm wearing soft toric lenses which I'd consider a better option than laser eye surgery. I wear one pair of contact lenses for a month straight, that includes sleeping with them in. Then when the month is up, i take them out and instantly pop a new pair in again. I actually forgot that I used to wear glasses.

Only one downside, a slight increase of "Sleep" around your eyes when you wake up in the morning.

I have wondered about this but have never had contacts to before. I'm certain it would be more convenient to be able to take on & off non-prescription sunglasses as needed on longer runs/rides. But my one point of concern is swimming. I SUCK at swimming, but I hope to eventually to a triathlon. Of course if your goggles stay perfectly in place there should be no issue; but I get the impression that's not always the case when racing in open water.