Exercise before bed????

Options
I currently work nights, 6pm-630am to be exact, and I am trying to find out the best time for me to get my exercise in.

I have a gym in my building and a suana and I want to use them regularly to help with my weight loss. But this nagging question keeps coming up....... Is it a good idea to exercise before going to bed in the morning? Or should I go home, sleep, and get up an extra hour or so early and go before work?

Replies

• romalley9
    Options
    I have been battling that same thing! what i can tell you, is i slept alot better when i worked out after work in the morning. Waking up that extra 1 1/2 hours early kinda sucked!
  • nene51983
    nene51983 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Yeah my schedule is so crazy the days I work it is sooooo hard to get that routine down. I work a 2 days on 2 days off schedule with rotating weekends. So on my days off I am on a normal sleeping schedule, well as much as I can be, so finding that key time to work out is so darn tricky.

Not to mention eating..... How do you eat when working nights? I sleep all day and I am afraid to eat at night so then I end up eating at work, and well, the caloric intake from eating at a state run jail is VERY high. Im looking at a uphill battle for sure with this one.
  • mrcconway
    Options
    I had an oppsite effect after my morning workout my body was so ramped up it took me a while to fall asleep. A lunch time workour helped me it gave me energy for the day and I had plenty of time for my body to calm down and was able to fall asleep easier at the end of my work day.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    It's all about personal preference. I workout before bed. It would depend on whether exercise pumps you up too much to get to sleep.
  • nene51983
    nene51983 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Well I guess I will find out today then..... I am going to go home, put on my work out clothes and do at least an hour. Maybe going into the suana after my work out will help me get to that sleepy stage after my work out?

Hopefully I will be able to sleep when I am done.
  • clk238
    clk238 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Yeah the sauna might help... try to do like a longhish cooldown... maybe yoga/breathing.... i think fitting exercise into your day will help you sleep better no matter what... just try to get into some type of routine and stick with it for @ least week.. your body will adjust!