Evening snacking

Options
I need some ideas. I do really well eating healthy through out the day. I am currently a stay at home mom. Anyway, during the day, I am cleaning and playing with my daughter and just generally staying busy, but when my husband comes home he migrates to the couch so I tend to sit with him. I usually do fine with getting a desperate munchy feeling until after supper. And then, because we are working to make him gain weight, I feel like I'm dieting and end up binging. Mind you that during the day eating the same foods I feel fine, not hungry. It's just seeing what he's eating (tonight was hamburger helper patty melt and potatoes) compared to what I'm having (broiled tilapia filet and potatoes, which I happen to love) as well as sizes, I feel like I'm missing out. What are some low calorie snacks that are easy (and cheap) that I can munch on? And does anyone have any ideas for helping me make it through the evening. Thanks guys!

Replies

• dramaqueen0619
    dramaqueen0619 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    A friend just emailed today and said if you have 10 strawberries and roll them in a little confectioners sugar it is only 71 calories.
  • deidradean13
    Options
    I have Snack Pak's fat free chocolate pudding cups. Only 90 calories and I can have my chocolate!
  • k8lyn_235
    k8lyn_235 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    i have the same issue with snacking after dinner! i like special k crackers (24 for 120 cals), baby carrots, cucumber, fig newton cookies (if you have a sweet tooth)... good luck!
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I`m having a skinny cow ice cream sandwich right now. 140 calories of wonderfullness.
  • mellybelly08
    Options
    I am the same way.. I do good during the day then after dinner I just wanna eat.. I feel like since it's the end of the day it doesn't matter..

Instead of ice cream, have fat free yogurt (Source yogurt is really good) with frozen blueberries.. it's like frozen icecream.. My mom is addicted now and she used to have ice cream every night after dinner.

a smoothie with fatfree yogurt or skim milk and a bunch of fruit with ice. You can lay out on the couch sipping it.

Plain popcorn, Special K Chip/crackers, Pop Chips, fruit salad, Apple&banana with peanut butter, raspberries with fat free cream
  • PattyLaRue
    Options
    Weight Watchers urges you to be prepared. Keep things around that are easy to get to: fruit, baby carrots, crispy celery with or without a little peanut butter, cup of popcorn, handful of nuts,low fat yogurt,raisins, 70 calorie creamsicles. Carrots actually help me a lot because I have a sweet tooth and they are cold and crunchy.
  • lark70gsx
    lark70gsx Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Possibly boosting your protein and good fat intake during the day can relieve some of those cravings. That is what is working for me.
  • 9jenn9
    9jenn9 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I always keep my hands busy when I watch tv. I taught myself to knit a few year ago as a coping strategy for boredom and stress. It works pretty well for me but I'm sure there are other things you could do while keeping your hubby company. As far as snacks go, I try to leave some calories for an end of the day treat that satisfies me. My favorite is a cold beer and popcorn (Super economical and low fat popcorn recipe: Put 1/4 cup of popcorn in a brown lunch bag. Fold the top of the bag over 2x. Microwave for about 1:50 minutes. Spray with low fat butter spray and sprinkle with butter salt. Only 120 calories! Yum) This snack lets me feel that I've indulged myself without overdoing it.
  • just4u_cara
    just4u_cara Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    A girlfriend munches on celery and salsa. I haven't tried that combo yet but would be crunchy!