Why would I suddenly be hungry all the time?

Options
2»

Replies

• LeggyKettleBabe
    LeggyKettleBabe Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    ALIVE BODIES CRAVE FOOD.
  • Symonep
    Symonep Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    ALIVE BODIES CRAVE FOOD.

Especially more than 1200 calories a day
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    i can only speak from my own experience, but, after some weight loss and eating back my exercise calories, i found i was getting hungrier too... (i was at 1200 net).... and i took it as a signal from me to me that i needed to up my calories... much as i was afraid to *LOL*.

It worked for me, i just had to be super careful to not up my carbs as a method of upping my calories.

That was last summer.

Since then i went more towards maintenance and my food diaries are all over the place these days, so don't use my diaries 'now' as an example *LOL*... last summer i was golden in eating carefully and consistently, and learned to really pay attention to what my body was telling me,, now i am still mostly coasting *S*

I just know, that approach worked for me, and will work again should i need it to *S*
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    I have no scientific proof to back up what I'm about to say, but I'll tell you my personal story. I am assuming the appetite suppressant you speak of is probably phentermine or something similar. Phentermine is an amphetamine. I spent years abusing prescription amphetamines (adderall) and when I finally got off the stuff, my body was ravenous. For a year, I was always hungry, and despite efforts to diet or exercise, I was gaining upwards of 5 lbs a week. It's like my body was having some crazy reaction because it wasn't running on speed anymore. Obviously that's an extreme case but I'm convinced that taking amphetamines to control appetite is the furthest thing from a long term solution and while it does obviously help people lose weight while taking it, it puts you at a dead end.

I agree that it's weird and I totally know what you mean.

But stopping amphetamines could not have made her hungry, since she was not given amphetamines, and did not indicate she was taking them for any other reason either.
  • Sd0510
    Sd0510 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    From my own experience, not fact: Sometimes when I get 'hunger pains' it can be because I am thirsty. I would suggest trying to drink more water during the day to see if it helps. If not, I agree with the post about proteins. When I eat a whole ton of protein, I am less hungry throughout the day opposed to when I eat more carbs. I hope this helps.

Also, I think you would be able to do it without an appetite suppressant, but I think it may be difficult at first since you and your body are not used to the feeling of hunger.
  • CMB1979
    CMB1979 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Try to avoid caffeine too. It can cause cravings to surface.

Maybe you're eating more of a "trigger" food than you did before?
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options

How true is that? I always hear caffeine is an appetite suppressant. In the long run it doesn't make a different over all if you over eat later, but it certainly doesn't hurt a well balanced diet.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    In addition to the suggestions above, enough protein, water, etc., is there anything else your body may be missing? Sometimes when I'm low on something, I get cravings and I'll "graze" until I eat the right thing. One thing I've been learning is to identify the different feelings... sometimes it's protein, sometimes vegetables, sometimes chocolate :wink: , but when I eat the "right" thing it works much better than tons of other stuff. Sometimes a vitamin pill helps.
  • weisegirl1119
    weisegirl1119 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Loves418
    Loves418 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    In addition to the suggestions above, enough protein, water, etc., is there anything else your body may be missing? Sometimes when I'm low on something, I get cravings and I'll "graze" until I eat the right thing. One thing I've been learning is to identify the different feelings... sometimes it's protein, sometimes vegetables, sometimes chocolate :wink: , but when I eat the "right" thing it works much better than tons of other stuff. Sometimes a vitamin pill helps.

funny you said this...Milk..for an odd crazy reason I am craving milk and NO I am not pregnant 100% sure...lol.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Milk has calcium, protein and vitamin D is usually added. It also provided liquid and other nutrients. Maybe you need one of them? If you're curious, play around with other things that also have those nutrients; if you're not so curious or experimental right now, drink the milk. Unless you're lactose intolerant, it's probably good for you. See if it stops the hunger. Good luck!
  • Tall_E
    Tall_E Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Female hormones changing could be contributing. If you're between the ages of 35-52 you could be in perimenopause and your hormones could be all over the place.

Eating foods with lots of fiber - veggies and fruits - will help you feel fuller longer along with protein.

Ditto about cravings...I found I was craving greens which, it turns out, are high in fiber and protein. When I ate tons of greens for a few days, I felt a lot better.

I agree with the person who said the body/life demands balance so listen to your body and look for what will put it in balance.

Good luck!
  • CMB1979
    CMB1979 Posts: 588 Member
    Options

How true is that? I always hear caffeine is an appetite suppressant. In the long run it doesn't make a different over all if you over eat later, but it certainly doesn't hurt a well balanced diet.

It triggers cravings in me and in many people.

http://www.naturalnews.com/012352.html

"Initially, caffeine may lower blood sugar; however, this can lead to increased hunger or cravings for sweets"
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options

It triggers cravings in me and in many people.

http://www.naturalnews.com/012352.html

"Initially, caffeine may lower blood sugar; however, this can lead to increased hunger or cravings for sweets"

Pretty interesting. Could be because i don't drink coffee often but when i do have it I eat way less for the day. It also makes my heart race and makes me sweaty too. I'm probably just caffeine sensitive.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Hunger is a hormonal response to your regular eating patterns. Absence of hunger is a symptom of a suppressed metabolism. You also continue to feel hungry after eating if your body is lacking specific nutrients.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Hunger is a hormonal response to your regular eating patterns. Absence of hunger is a symptom of a suppressed metabolism. You also continue to feel hungry after eating if your body is lacking specific nutrients.
    this
  • MrsRawwwr
    MrsRawwwr Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    If your goal is 1200 a day and you are only sometimes eating exercise calories back, it could be that you are just plain and simply hungry. You could try upping your daily goal by 100-200 calories a day and see if that helps. Good luck!
  • helga205
    helga205 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    In terms of your protein to carb ratio, MFP sets the carbs pretty high, with a relatively low amount of protein. So you could be eating your protein and carb allowances, but it's at the pre-set values which still mean you're not eating much protein in the overall scheme of things.

If you wanted to test using different macronutrient ratios, you can go into 'Goals' and custom set your own ratios. For example, my gym's nutrition system generally recommends that 40% of your daily calories should come from protein. The other 60% is split between carbs and fat - I'm on 40% protein, 40% fat and 20% carbs. While I eat every 2.5 to 3 hours, I don't get ravenous in between meals, as long as I balance protein / carbs / fat appropriately.

Different ratios work for different people - some people do well with a bit more carbs, others with more fat.

Hope that helps!