Is it bad to go over your Sugar through eating fruit?

Options
Most mornings I make myself a fruit smoothie with blackbean milk and soy protein powder. I've noticed that the shake alone puts me above my sugar intake for the day. Should I ignore this? Is the sugar you get from fruit bad for you?

Replies

• jdragione
    jdragione Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I asked this question a few weeks ago and was told to ignore the sugar content of fruits.
  • westdove
    westdove Posts: 174
    Options
    Yeah, if the sugar is coming from fruit, I dont trip out at all..
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    It can be bad....................Not saying it definitely is, but it can be bad.

For me, it is bad, bad, bad. I am a former diabetic so eating fruit too much causes blood sugar rise, then insulin increase and then feeling sick and hungry feeling.

Not a roller coaster ride I want to be on any longer.
  • spdaphne
    spdaphne Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    well, you just might want to watch it, that's all. as PaleoPath says, it can spike your blood sugar levels. my dietitian said to limit myself to 2 fruit servings a day and of course, avoid junk food. i'm not diabetic, but it runs in my family.

i do add a cup of blueberries (i did this this morning), a cup of spinach, a scoop of protein powder, cup of almond milk, 2 tbsp of peanut butter and blended that and had it for breakfast.

just balance fruits and veggies throughout the day. watermelon and bananas really spike your blood sugar. any type of berries are on the slow side of spiking.
  • riskiestlavonn
    riskiestlavonn Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    thanks you guys. I think I might pull it back a bit on the amount of fruit I eat. I would eat more vegetables BUT there are just so many fruit stands on my way to work that I end up stopping and buying a LOT before I even get in. Maybe will also try cucumber in my shake as opposed to a banana. :-)
  • Rikki007s
    Rikki007s Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Sugar is sugar twin. I think a lot of people only think sugar is bad if it's coming from added sugars like pop, but fruit juice can be just as sugary and bad. I always cut my smoothies with yogurt.
  • richeydoc
    richeydoc Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Fruit sugar isn't any different to sugar from any other source, once your body breaks it down. Fruit is a healthier option because it contains lots of vitamins and other good stuff. It is also a lot less energy dense than sugary junk food, so you will be full well before you can eat a candy bar's worth of sugar in the form of blueberries (if that makes sense).
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    You'll probably be doing yourself a disservice if you cut back on fruits for the reason of avoiding sugar. Yes they have sugar, but they have many health benefits and can be filling as well.
  • Guitarjon
    Guitarjon Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Since some of the healthy foods I have been logging contain a lot of sugar or sugar when you wouldn't expect it too I have decided to not worry about it. I see processed sugar a bad thing but only because of what other things tend to come with it eg saturated fats etc (tend to be found in the same place- donut etc).
  • tamsinwhitfield
    tamsinwhitfield Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Unless you a) are diabetic, or b) have reason to think you could develop diabetes, I definitely wouldn't freak out. I really don't understand limiting something that has so many health benefits solely on the sugar-basis (unless you're eating an insane amount). MFP's automatic sugar allocation also seems to be set on the low-ish side.