Advice on Weights and Lifting

Options
So I am really new to the site, but everyone seems so supportive and helpful :) I just recently started adding weight training to my regular cardio workouts, and this week I started benching. Right now just doing the bar, but how often in the week should I be lifting? And how many reps should I be doing? Right now I am a little intimidated in the weight room, so any advice you could offer would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    depends on intensity and goals. If you're lifting, I'm guessing it's prob to build strength. As such, get a strength template, and follow it. Most beginner templates are a variant of the same thing. 3 times a week, <8 reps, big compound freeweight movements, consistently increasing the weight for linear progression.

When you're doing 15+ reps, it's not longer strength training, you're then doing muscle endurance. And not really getting the benefit of lifting in the first place, which is making your muscles work properly and get stronger. And once you get to the 30+ range you're not doing weights at all, you're then doing cardio. Which is fine if thats your goals, but far too manypeople confuse their hour long dvd workout are weight training when it's not.
  • MonkeyFlower
    MonkeyFlower Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    have a search on here for information on Stronglifts 5x5 or NROWFW (New Rules of Weightlifting for Women) theres heaps of advice from people who do the programs and they seem to offer a solid workout template - unfortunetly i have the NROWFW book but havent started it yet till i finish my sessions with my PT - which is another option if you want to get more comftable in the weights section of the gym?
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Get a PT for a few sessions to show you what to do.. and then you can go from there.

I personally, lift 2-3 days a week for 10-15 reps with heavy weights... and follow programs my trainer writes up for me.

Others really like Starting Strength/Strong Lifts or New Rules of Lifting for Women.
  • BusyBrii
    BusyBrii Posts: 5
    Options
    Ok thank you all so much!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    do you want to do lifting everyday? if so then you can split your routine between upper body and lower body moves

do you want to do 3 days a week? if so then you should do complete routine that includes upper and lower body

what are your goals? do you want to gain strength? if so then focus on compound movements like squats, deadlifts, bench presses, chin ups etc and do heavy weight (80% or more of max 1 rep weight) for 3-6 reps per set

do you want to go for more hypertrophy/muscular definition and cardio? if so, do a combo of compound and isolation moves lift medium weight (50%-80% of max 1 rep weight) for 12-15 reps

so really you're routine will depend on your specific goals
  • Princess_Sameen
    Princess_Sameen Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    bump love lifting so all info is helpful
  • BusyBrii
    BusyBrii Posts: 5
    Options
    Oh ok I really appreciate the insight! Like I said, I'm pretty new to the whole weights and lifting, so I really wasn't quite sure where to start as far as a routine goes