I ran my first mile today!

Options
I've never considered myself to be able to run. Back a few years ago, during my sophomore year in high school, we had to run/walk a mile for P.E. in less than 15 minutes. I made the time, but I remember only being able to run one time around the track before I would start walking to finish (each time around the track is 1/4 a mile). Now, about two years later, I gave running another chance. I called my buddy up last night and asked him if he could teach/train me on how to run. Today we went out and I actually ran, non-stop, for over a mile! I was so happy and thought I would share this. This is my first post, as I am new to this community, so I hope I did it right! :)

Replies

• cls_333
    cls_333 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Excellent! Good for you, and glad it made you happy! Keep it up! :D
  • Cmandy67
    Cmandy67 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    What is the secret to your success? A mile is fantastic success! I've been relearning to run and I have just been able to run around my block with out stopping and I don't know how far it is in comparison to Miles. Is about 1.3 kms I want to become a better runner for sure! Good luck to you too!!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Holler!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    What is the secret to your success? A mile is fantastic success! I've been relearning to run and I have just been able to run around my block with out stopping and I don't know how far it is in comparison to Miles. Is about 1.3 kms I want to become a better runner for sure! Good luck to you too!!

1 mile = 1.61km
  • nicoleh82
    nicoleh82 Posts: 52
    Options
    I remember when I did this my first time too.... it's an excellent feeling
  • gseburn
    gseburn Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Congratulations - That's awesome. Keep it up, all the best in reaching your goals!
  • OpenHeaven
    OpenHeaven Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    YAY!!!!!!!!! GREAT FOR YOU!!!!!!!
  • lbmore33
    lbmore33 Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    nice now dont stop keep it going...
  • lesliejchase
    Options
    Go you! That's so good, I'm still building up to that...
  • jentarver
    jentarver Posts: 192
    Options
    oh boy do I know that feeling! Its amazing! :) Went from barely making a lap around a track to doing 3 miles :)
  • ZekeAM
    ZekeAM Posts: 4
    Options
    3 miles are my goal! I really was proud of my accomplishment today and feel I can do more. My friend is trying to talk me into doing cross country for my senior year, and if I keep this up, I'm hoping I'll build up and do it!
  • pamtram
    pamtram Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    that is so great ZekeAM. I have been running now for 3 years but still pat myself on the back for being able to do it. It's such a buzz to get that first mile under your belt
  • mommanurse33
    mommanurse33 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Fabulous job!!! I am re-learning how to run myself. I ran my first mile in 15yrs, about 4weeks ago. But I found I couldn't do it again a couple days later. So, I have restarted and am building myself up gradually. 3 miles is also my goal!! Keep up the fabulous work!!:smile:
  • ZekeAM
    ZekeAM Posts: 4
    Options
    Thanks! I'm going to try it again tomorrow although I can tell I'm going to be very sore, Haha. I wish you the best of luck with your goal!
  • mollysonnotice
    Options
    You've got this! Great job!!
  • muddyventures
    muddyventures Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Great job, may you run many more!
  • _Bob_
    _Bob_ Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    congrats. that is awesome. I am training to be a runner again too. I have a 5k in two weeks that I'm not ready for but I'm going to do it anyways.
  • weisegirl1119
    weisegirl1119 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I hope to be a runner one day! You are an inspiration:smile:
  • firemedicjoe26
    Options
    That's great maitain that mile for a week then go up by 20% the next week you be running a marathon by the end of the year
  • JSCOTT73
    JSCOTT73 Posts: 3
    Options
    I've been building myself up to this as well. never been much for running (EVER, just didn't appeal to me) now.....i wanna start doing some 5K events :)