UGH >.< I just can't do this anymore :(

Options
I have tried in December I started to work out, eat healthy drinking two liters of water a day...:embarassed: then my depression got worse I lost my job and then bam, now I don't eat right at all, don't exercise at all and I am miserable with myself again:grumble: ... I have managed to only gain about 6lbs back of the 13lbs I lost still thats nearly half :sad: Idk what to do ! HELLLP!

Replies

• CiciPorcayo
    CiciPorcayo Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have advice or am I as hopeless as I though.... :frown:
  • heidi5k
    heidi5k Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    So sorry to hear that... Sounds like a tough time.

From my experience, it's easy to get overwhelmed when you're depressed. Why don't you....
    - make sure you are talking to people who care about you
    - plan to do ONE thing today that moves you toward your goal (take a walk, put together a healthy meal)

Depression and weight gain can really go hand in hand, but it certainly makes us less depressed when we are doing something to get healthier.

Thoughts and prayers are with you.
  • CiciPorcayo
    Options
    Thanks and that is what I am planning, I just have dug a whole so deep feels like I will never get out :(
  • sjmeadsander
    Options
    it can be SO hard! I have been trying to lose ANY weight for about 5 years now...finally only started to lose in the last couple months. I am posotive that it has to do with the amount of activity i get now. My job is far more active now and thats when i started losing.
    You should be super proud for having lost 13 lbs!! doesn't seem like it but that's really a lot!! So think this way. you did it once, you can do it again! I know how depression can be too. Can take you over. I'm not sure how your activity levels are, or what type you do, but try getting outside specifically when it's sunny out! getting resumes out by actually getting out and walking around and handing them in person will not only help the job sitch but also get you a bit of excersize (which i hope will pick up your spirits a bit) and don't make it a whole day thing. Give a goal of say getting...5 resumes out, and then reward yourself with a lovely walk in a park or something...
    anyway i hope i helped...you can do it though! please dont give up because when i'm in the same spot i hope you'll be able to help me get back up :)
  • heidi5k
    heidi5k Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Are you talking about your weight gain, or about something else?
  • AliciaNorris81
    AliciaNorris81 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Don't give up! I know that sounds cliche, but it is true.

There are days where I feel like I am at a total loss. I miss the foods I used to eat. I miss sitting around and relaxing instead of exercising. Then I think "Was I really OK with being like that?" No. I wasn't. I was sick all of the time, diabetic (still am, but have it under control), and got out of breath to go to the bathroom.

I had to start from the inside. The one thing I had to tell myself was "YOU ARE WORTH MORE THAN THIS"

Pick yourself up. Start with a morning walk...early morning. Have a talk with yourself while the birds are chirping and ask yourself "Is this what you want?"

There is only ONE thing you can control in life, YOU. Whether or not you choose to is up to you.

I think you can do this. I know you can. I have been there and it isn't a pretty place to be. Start writing the next chapter in your story with a twist that no one saw coming!
  • jroser37
    jroser37 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Don't give up!! I am new at this and I have found wonderful people and amazing motivation. I also have lost my job and been depressed. You can do this... you can add me if you want and we can do this together!! WE CAN DO THIS!!!!!!!
  • lanashay13
    Options
    im seventeen and im struggling with depression you can make it through!!!!!
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Firstly I strongly suggest (if you havent already) you seek professional assistance to manage your depression.

That aside, the sort of advice I would usually give in this sort of situation it to try to focus on thew positives (as hard as it may seem at times). Yes you have slipped, but guess what, you have been successful in losing weight, and you have only put some of it back on. You are still further ahead now than before you started!

Our bodies, health, and activity level are some of the few things that we have control over. It can be very empowering to take control of your body and push through these challenges. I am sure you have it in you to push through this setback and make the next chapter in your life better than the last.
  • CiciPorcayo
    Options
    I have seen a doctor for the depression. I was taking prozac for a while but it made me awfully sick and sadly that is when I saw the most weightloss . I lost about 4-5lbs on my own hard work and a whole lot of sweat! The rest about 8lbs was from the medication which made me have little to no appetite . Now I am off of that and seeing a counselor so I feel much better :D happy as clam and I have 4 interviews, set up within the next week and one of them is a second interview so I am excited !!

*As for everyone elses kind words thank you and I will take everything into consideration
  • lexoxoc
    lexoxoc Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    One of the hardest things to do when you feel like you have hit rock bottom is to get up and dust yourself off.
    One of the easiest things to do is to simply give up.

Now, taking the easy way out...well it is easy...HOWEVER, no one who has ever achieved amazing and inspiring things EVER took the easy road.

Unfortunately, major depressive disorder gives you the idea that the easier route is the best...HOWEVER, YOU are SO MUCH MORE than someone who suffers from depression, YOU are NOT depression - depression is a word that manifests itself in our minds/classrooms/textbooks/clinical offices...YOU ARE SO MUCH MORE THAN DEPRESSION!

KEEP GOING! Take the harder route because I firmly believe that YOU will find it SO much easier than the "easy" way out, why? Because YOU will begin to ACHIEVE and INSPIRE yourself and EVENTUALLY you will get to the weight you ALWAYS wanted and realize how the harder route was the ONLY route right for you!

You've got this, let me know if you need anything! I firmly believe you can do it! :heart:
  • erinkeely4
    erinkeely4 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Are you seeing a therapist for the depression? If not, that is the definite step one!! You won't be able to stick to your goals if you don't work on the depression. There's something behind it, and a therapist can help! If you are already seeing a therapist, ask them for advice about ways that will help you stick to your goals :)
  • ndblades
    ndblades Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    For those having never suffered from depression , it is a difficult thing to understand. Everyone here, like I am sure most friends and family in your life, would and will do whateve they can to help. You CAN do this. You ARE doing this -- job interviews, seeking a counselor - all steps in the right direction. All the advise here is great, and I hope 1000 other people will reply and give you the lift you need. Use your food as fuel and surround yourself with people who care..... you will get through this, and be a stronger person! keep going!
  • Redbird99ky
    Redbird99ky Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry to hear about your depression coming back, and the other setbacks you have encountered. Here are a couple of things you might try to help, both with the depression AND the weight loss.

1. consider volunteering somewhere every so often where you can help others. Perhaps a homeless shelter, battered women's shelter or something like that. The outing will give you something to look forward to, and perhaps lift your spirits a bit, PLUS the added benefit is that when we focus on helping others, we tend to feel better about ourselves.

2. Seek a therapist, if you are not currently seeing one.

3. If you are a spiritual person, consider praying to God to help you with your depression. He WILL help, but only if you ask Him and let Him.

I fought depression for 7 years, from 2004 through 2011. My therapist wasn't able to make much lasting progress. Being an atheist, I had no faith in a god whatsoever. That all changed when God lifted my depression on Nov 3 of last year. I could write TONS about what happened, but I'll suffice it to say that my AA sponsor asked me to pray, even if I didn't believe in a god. I did. I asked, and He answered. I am a living, breathing, modern-day miracle, and I (quite literally) thank God every day.

Good luck, may God bless you, and you'll be in my prayers.
  • what923
    what923 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    When I was in a similar situation (the depression) I told myself to focus on fixing that first. Luckily a moderate medication brought things back to level. After that episode I swore I would rather be happy and chubby than skinny & sick (I had no appetite when I was depressed and got very thin). So love yourself and get to the bottom of that depression. Focusing on health, exercise and wise food choices is tough enough under normal circumstances much less when depressed and stressed. I will pray you can find some assistance (therapy or a med with minimum side effects) and answers to help you get back to the calmer, happier person you once were and can be again. Honestly- since then running has kept me sane. Problems with my mom and renters, etc all seem to melt away on a good hard sweating 5-8 mile run. It's hard to stress about anything else when I'm focused on just getting my next breath :)
    Hang in there :flowerforyou:
  • Cmandy67
    Cmandy67 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Sometimes we feel the worst right before a breakthrough happens!
  • BigBrewski
    BigBrewski Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    when i lost my job the thing that kept me sane was going to the gym each morning and seeing my gym partner and all the morning workout crew. they always had advice and sometimes job leads. saddly i got a job and had to movr away but it was great way to keep the stress down and was a time each day to forget about everything and foucs on me
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry. It's easy to get into a downward spiral. Exercise and eating right will reduce your depression, but that's hard when you're upset and all you want to do is eat some junk and watch tv. A couple suggestions:

-Go grocery shopping when you are feeling better about life than normal and buy healthy foods that you won't binge on. Then later on when you are upset at home, you can't do as much damage
    -Try to get a regular exercise routine in, same time every day. The order in your life should help, especially with the lack of structure after losing your job.
    -See a psychologist, not just a doctor. They'll help you talk through things and get to the bottom of this. Trust me, it helps :)
  • jlbay
    jlbay Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    So sorry that you are having such a bad time.

I went through a similar bad period with depression and gained back ALL my lost weight plus an extra 10 lbs.

Don't be hard on yourself. It is very difficult to lose weight when you are depressed. Losing weight is hard on you mentally when you are at your best.

Maybe start by eating maintenance calories for a couple of weeks and concentrate on maintaining your weight and adding some exercise? That way you don't have the stress of lowered calories, but you concentrate on being mindful of what you eat so you don't make yourself spiral into emotional eating. Getting some movement in every day - a nice long walk or stretching - might help lift your mood. I really wish I had just gone into maintenance mode instead of giving up on my weight altogether while I was depressed, but somehow I just lost sight of weight when faced with loss and depression. It happens. Take care!
  • Symphony2
    Symphony2 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hun, when your head's in the right place your body will follow. Where you are right now is not a good place at all and the best you can do is lots of positive 'mental' exercises and give yourself time to sort things through. The most important is to stop being so hard on yourself. Stop beating yourself up over your weight gain and instead think about what small step you can make today that will change something. You obviously drink lots of water, so great. You say your nutrition's gone to hell, so start today by making just ONE change ... one 'positive' change: if you want that bar of chocolate, fine - but first you eat an apple, then the bar of chocolate; if you want to empty the biscuit tin, tell yourself that today that's OK - but first you've got to eat 6 cherry tomatoes and an inch of cucumber! Get the idea? Pick one of them. Better still, write down your 'step' for today - and when you've done it, cross it off. There's nothing more empowering to the mind than ticking off a to-do list - particularly when it's a positive one.
    Do the same with your exercise. Write down ONE thing you're going to do today .... even if that's to get dressed and go outdoors! Fresh air is so vital for depression so make sure you do something outdoors. Indoors? Well, set yourself a tiny challenge ... perhaps a wall squat for 30 seconds - or 10 or 15 or 20 star jumps or dips - or even walking up and down the stairs 10 times. Pick a number that you know is manageable but a little more than you would normally be able to do and just do ONE THING! Every journey has to begin with the first step and you can take that first step today! So don't think about it, just DO IT!!! Then relax, give yourself time to feel proud of yourself and tomorrow you can do the same. Give yourself 2 or 3 days, then increase your goals to 2 or 3 mini-steps. The positivity will kick in slowly and you'll find yourself picking up the pace little by little - before you know it, those 7 lbs will be back off and you'll be exercising again and feeling so much better.

Tiny steps. What have you done today to make you feel proud? THINK! Yes - there IS something. Hold that thought, smile and be kind to yourself.