The Waiting Wardrobe

Options
I have about a decade of clothes that do not fit. Shelves full of them folded up and waiting for me to be able to wear them again. Some of them I've never worn- got as gifts from my mom who always thinks I'm smaller than I am.

I'd like to be able to wear all of this again and toss things out only when they get too big. If I ever reach my goal weight, none of it will fit again--it'll all be too big. Sure would be nice to be on that side.

I know some people feel you should toss it now and only buy clothes that fit, but I'm not about to toss a thousand bucks worth of clothes (especially since I've never liked clothes shopping to begin with. 15 minutes in a store and I'll be thinking "We done here?"

Wondering if many of you have this much just waiting for you to be able to wear them again, no matter how brief.

Replies

• TheGoblinRoad
    TheGoblinRoad Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    And unfortunately, being in my worst shape ever, the actual number of clothes that fit me right now consists of about 2 pairs of pants, 4 or so shirts, a sweater. (not counting socks and undies)

Definitely I probably come across as having boring style--because I wear the same clothes every week.
  • moujie
    moujie Posts: 229
    Options
    I don't blame you for keeping them. What I'd suggest is packing them into boxes clearly labeled with the size and items (pants/shirts/whatever). Maybe keep one or two items out as motivation. THIS time I'm tossing stuff as it gets too big. this is something I've never done before and it scares me. I usually toss the too big item on the floor of the closet for a few days before I can part with it. I give it to goodwill. but the difficult thing isn't so much parting with an item that I like as it is the fear that I will gain the weight back and have to buy fat clothes all over again. But since I'm trying to do everything with the idea of getting and staying healthy I realize I need to let go of the "crutch" of having the fat clothes around.
  • Gogo
    Gogo Posts: 9,942 Member
    Options
    Pretty much all of my shirts I can still wear, but I have about 8 pairs of jeans that I would LOVE:love: to be able to wear again. I am about 6 lbs away from being able to get into them. But it is a struggle to lose even 1/2 lb for me. :grumble: So who knows......it might not be until next year when I can get into them again. :sad:
  • ducky5m48
    ducky5m48 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I have tote after tote of clothes upstairs that i am looking forward to wearing. the great part is that iv lost alot now so im able to keep fitting into lots of my old clothes n it is a fantabulous feeling!!!

but i know wat u mean about throwing away clothes just bc they dnt fit at the time. I have kept all of my clothes n now i think you know if i hadn't of kept those then i would have nothing to wear right now. so keep working and you will make it happen.

Goodluck!!!!
  • TexasAngelBeth
    TexasAngelBeth Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I know how you feel... I have started tossing clothes as I loose weight and somethign doesnt fit I give it to goodwill or who ever and just keep working myself back into my clothing...I have followed the suggestion of Moujie and I have clothes in boxes labled... it makes my week to be able to open another box empty it into the laundry room and fill ot full of clothes... I dont even wait for the next day to take the old clothes to the donation box :) they have to leave right that moment.
  • AshlySouthard
    Options
    I have "waiting clothes" to. However, I think that once I get to the point where I can fit back into them I will celebrate by going shopping. I hate shopping for clothes, but that will probably change once I drop a few sizes. LoL

Good luck!
  • TheGoblinRoad
    TheGoblinRoad Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    I could put them away but labelling them is tough. The pants have sizes that I can gauge well, but Men's shirts, sweaters tend to say M, L, XL, XXL (i dont have S) which on the surface seems like I could organize well, but some of the XXL will be more like L and some of the L like XXL and so on. They're inconsistent and I can't recall which is which.

Which means if I wanted to organize by size I'd really have to try on every item (hundreds of clothes)

Not sure I'm up to trying on a few hundred things I won't fit in right now...
  • moujie
    moujie Posts: 229
    Options
    Label:

Item: Sweaters
    Size: God only knows
  • vctkell
    vctkell Posts: 41
    Options
    I agree Label, I have finally gotten into all my old pants but 1 pair and hope to be able to put them
    on by next week. I was glad I had not given them to GoodWill, not to mention they are back in style.
    Keep it up you will make it. :glasses:
  • goldk
    goldk Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    This sounds like a great title for a weight loss book - The Waiting Wardrobe :laugh: :laugh:
  • Wecandothis
    Wecandothis Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I'd keep then because you may be in one size for a very short time before you'll go down to the next lower size - in this way you'll be saving money as you go down in size, and when you get where you want to be you can begin to purchase new.

But that's just me, and I'm frugal - and that's using a very kind word cause I'm really a cheapskate. :)

It gets expensive to purchase even a couple of jeans and shirts when you only wear them for a month or two.

But DO throw them away when they are too big!!!
  • zebras
    zebras Posts: 600
    Options
    Once you've tried one piece on you can probably match up others to it and have a good guesstimate as to the size it really is. Its what we women go through at the store, where you can try several things on and fit into as many as 4 different sizes.

Definitely donate any items that are not your style, and even if you would fit into them, you wouldn't end up wearing, that might knock a few items out. I saved two dresses for years that I was dying to fit back into, when I finally did, they were so out of date, I never wore them again anyhow.

Keep a pair of pants out that is the next size down to try on weekly. At one point, I had accidentally bought the wrong size pair of pants, so every week I would put them on and see how much closer I was to wearing them. In the end, I wore them to work just a little to soon and broke the zipper on the first day out! But it helped me see my progress, since the scale wasn't moving but my body fat was.