Twice a day?

Options
Just like the title says is it alright to go to the gym twice a day? Or is that to much for the body. I've just recently started going to the gym to start my lifestlye change and Ive been doing an hour on the treadmill in the morning and in the evening I've been doing another hour of cardio of sorts and weight lifting for one muscle group (switch group daily)? What experience do you have with twice a days

Oh and when I go to the gym I've been pushing myself everytime I go

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i work out twice a day. at lunch i do a 30-40 minute lifting workout then after work i do 60 minutes of cardio. saturdays and sundays are usually rest days
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    I've done it before, had decent results. At that point it was a stress burner for me. I'd go during my lunch and squeeze a yoga sesh or at least the elliptical. Then either full cardio or I'd take a weights inspired class. I don't think it's that bad - your metabolism is burning even more postwork out.
  • willkirton
    willkirton Posts: 12
    Options
    Thank you guys for the responses. What do you think about later night workouts at like 10-11pm?
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Just like the title says is it alright to go to the gym twice a day? Or is that to much for the body. I've just recently started going to the gym to start my lifestlye change and Ive been doing an hour on the treadmill in the morning and in the evening I've been doing another hour of cardio of sorts and weight lifting for one muscle group (switch group daily)? What experience do you have with twice a days

Oh and when I go to the gym I've been pushing myself everytime I go

If you go to the gym and do weights on say, your upper body in the morning and then go back and do weights on your lower body only, no problem. Not too sure about if somebody were to go to the gym twice per day and work all of their muscles both sessions mind. You may find you do not last a few weeks before injury if you do that.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    How many day a week are you doing this?

Just monitor yourself for signs of over-training as fatigue is cumulative and take your rest day(s). Try to mix up your workouts (cardio - treadmill one day, bike/rowing/swimming next) to give your body time to recover and you should be fine.

Later night workouts are fine but will they be cutting into your sleep? Getting enough sleep is just as an important part of your fitness routine as the exercise itself - that's the time your body is repairing itself (plus, if you're doing 2 intense workouts per day you'll be tired)
  • markyb1977
    markyb1977 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    If you feel up to it, fine, when you start out, just dont over do it, else you will quickly hurt and put yourself off going!

Lifestyle is more important than intensity... be honest, can you keep it up?
  • willkirton
    willkirton Posts: 12
    Options
    I feel fine have never had soreness after or the day after (yet I'm guessing) but I'm not doing it twice a day to lose weight quicker it just feels right to me I guess. So to clarify what I've been doing at night is say Monday il do arms Tuesday legs ect.. And switching the cardio daily as well.
  • ster81
    ster81 Posts: 249
    Options
    If you can handle the workload then go for it. Listen to your body though... If it's telling you to back off, then you know you're doing too much.
  • Serenitytoo
    Serenitytoo Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    For a while I was doing 2 workouts a day. 30 mins circuit training in the morning and turbofire in the evening. I found there was the occasional day when I just couldn't keep up, not a lot of energy and so I would take a rest day which ended up happening about once a week/week and a half. Listen to your body. Rest days are not the enemy :)
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    You can do basically unlimited amounts of cardio. I would limit weight training to 3-4 hours/week if at a caloric deficit.
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Mayo Clinic says it is fine to break exercise up into multiple short sessions rather than one long session. They are very reputable health facility.

I do 3 sessions most day. 2 outside walking and one in the gym. It has been working good for me.
  • theresmynapkin
    theresmynapkin Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I do two workouts a day, sometimes three :)
    usually do a walk or strength training for 20 mins on my lunch break, sometimes yoga/pilates or a run in the morning (about 30 minutes) and then yoga/pilates after work, depending which one i did in the morning.
    As long as your body is doing okay, then it's fine. But if you get fatigued or if you feel in any way like you shouldn't be, then don't.

Basically, what everyone else said.
  • theresmynapkin
    theresmynapkin Posts: 183 Member
    Options