book recommendations

Options

Replies

• ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I second the Hunger Games by Susanne Collins. Also, try the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis.
    I'd also recommend any of the books written by Karen Kingsbury.

blessings,
    sam

CoN is good, the Hunger Games was also good, BUT, only the first of that series. the 2nd just encourages you to read the 3rd, and one must never, under any circumstances, ever read book #3!! *shudders at memory*
    Book 3 is, for lack of a better word, ridiculous.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I'm seconding fifty shades of gray. I freakin' hate reading and in 2 days I finished the 2 out of 3 books from the trilogy. I highly recommend it if you like sex.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I'm seconding fifty shades of gray. I freakin' hate reading and in 2 days I finished the 2 out of 3 books from the trilogy. I highly recommend it if you like sex.
    Oh so THAT's why every woman on Earth is reading it... I did wonder.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options

It's a sadism, whips and chains, BDSM trilogy :D And before everyone opens their mouth all appalled at me. I didn't know what it was, bought it, every security guard in the airport stopped me to ask what chapter I was on, and they were all farther. The flight attendant also stopped me and asked about it.

I finished it and left it at my very 'vanilla' moms house one night and in the morning I found it half open in the living room table. I asked her how she was finding it and she said "oh I guess it would be ok for anyone who would be into that kind of thing" and then she told me she was on chapter 16...after one night and staying up late to read it lol. She's now on the second book and has recommended it to several people, including dad. She told a friend in the hospital today that she had to put it down a couple times because it leaves nothing to the imagination and was sick...but I would say that's lies considering she was on chapter 16 :P
  • 704fitness
    704fitness Posts: 153
    Options
    To appreciate people - Mitch Albom
    To understand subtle behaviours - Malcolm Gladwell
    Science Fiction - David Weber
    Jack Welch - Straight from the Gut
    History of devleopment of technology - James Burke - Day the Universe Changed and Connections
  • Morior87
    Morior87 Posts: 14
    Options
    Joe Abercrombie - The First Law Trilogy

Essentially its a Lord of the Rings style book, with added sex, more violence and is far less predictable.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
    Options
    Yep, I'll second the Hunger Games. And Fifty Shades of Grey. Just bought it today and I'm already on page 125! I had to put it away or else I won't be able to go to bed. I also just finished Magic Hour by Kristin Hannah and that was great!
  • frootcat
    frootcat Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Hm, not every one.

However, if you (people reading this thread, not you necessarily, ironanimal) enjoy that, check out the Sleeping Beauty trilogy by A.N. Roquelaire (better known as Anne Rice, Interview with the Vampire et al.)
  • thinkpositive3
    thinkpositive3 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Any book by Janet Evanovich (brain cheetos) or Lee Child (great murder/mystery/suspense)!
  • Altarian
    Altarian Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    depends on your personal preference. some of the authors i've read this year are:
    Patrick Rothfuss
    Kim Harrisson
    Jocelynn Drake
    Faith Hunter
    Devon Monk
    Stephen Lawhead
    Brian Lumley
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Bumping cause I am always looking for a good book.
  • bazaar1982
    bazaar1982 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    If you liked hunger games etc, try delirium by lauren Oliver, Uglies by Scott Westerfield z(rubbish book name but great story) and divergent by Veronica Roth.

For something a bit different try Dark inside.
  • kristy6ward
    kristy6ward Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Give Jasper FForde a try. He's got a pretty long Thursday Next series that involves her going into 'Book World', expect to see classic characters and places you've probably read about. Also has a nursery crimes series. It's murder/mystery involving all your favorite nursery rhyme characters told in a darker, crazy witty way. And my favorite..Shades of Grey, which is a crazy inventive book about people being ranked in society by their color-sightedness.
  • awisegirl84
    awisegirl84 Posts: 82 Member
    Options

It's a sadism, whips and chains, BDSM trilogy :D And before everyone opens their mouth all appalled at me. I didn't know what it was, bought it, every security guard in the airport stopped me to ask what chapter I was on, and they were all farther. The flight attendant also stopped me and asked about it.

I finished it and left it at my very 'vanilla' moms house one night and in the morning I found it half open in the living room table. I asked her how she was finding it and she said "oh I guess it would be ok for anyone who would be into that kind of thing" and then she told me she was on chapter 16...after one night and staying up late to read it lol. She's now on the second book and has recommended it to several people, including dad. She told a friend in the hospital today that she had to put it down a couple times because it leaves nothing to the imagination and was sick...but I would say that's lies considering she was on chapter 16 :P

50 Shades for sure!!
    Also the Hush, Hush series by...Becca Fitzpatrick. The 4th and final book should be out in October, I think
    The Time Traveler's Wife
    listen to Confessions of a Shopaholic on CD, one of my favorites
    Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series (One for the Money)
  • Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    Early George RR Martin, Fever Dream and Armageddon Rag.
    Anything by Neil Gaiman
    50 Shades
    And if you like vampires & sex, the Anita Blake books by Laurell K Hamilton.
  • TealStar13
    TealStar13 Posts: 165
    Options
    Jen Lancaster is hysterical!!!

Jenny Lawson is fantastic!!

I love Jen Lancaster!! :)
  • ScottyNoHotty
    ScottyNoHotty Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    Jim Butcher's Harry Dresden series
    Monster Hunter International by Larry Correia
  • pam6870
    pam6870 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    The Walk Series by Richard Paul Evans
  • Bippie252
    Bippie252 Posts: 14
    Options
    I'm a huge werewolf buff. Movies, books, tv shows. I've been hooked since I was a kid. I've been reading Patricia Briggs. She has a whole Alpha/Omega series. But she does other story lines too.
  • Arani70
    Arani70 Posts: 84
    Options
    Cassandra Clare- Mortal Instruments and Infernal Devices series. :)

YES, my fav book series!! It's aimed at 15 - 25's (The main character is 15-16) but the story is awesome if you love magical creatures.

I also reccomend The true blood books (10 of them so far), Vamire academy is also an AWESOME series too!