Need advice on ways to add more calories

I follow a 1,500 calorie plan. I typically do Zumba 4-5 times a week and i do weights for about 20 minutes on those days so i add 485 calories for that burn. I have found I need to eat a majority of my calories burned back to lose weight each week.
I feel like I eat a lot and I'm having trouble eating the 1,500 calories.
Here is my diary for today
Breakfast: multi grain lite English muffin, banana and 4 slices bacon(223 calories)
A.M. Snack: 1/2 cup pistachios (130 calories)
Lunch: 2 oz turkey lunch meat,multi grain sandwich rounds, 2 leaves romaine lettuce, 1 cup air popped popcorn and an apple(272 calories)
P.M. Snack: ritz 4 cheese cracker full (130 calories)
Dinner: 4 oz chicken breast, 5 oz potatoe, 1 tbsbutter, 1/8 cup cheese, cup of ice burg and romaine lettuce, 1 tbs salad dressing, 1 cup broccoli and 1 cup skim milk(643 calories)
Grand total of 1,398 calories. I have 15 g of fats left and only 121 of sodium left. ( result of lunch meat and bacon) I am over in fiber( which I always am) protein,vitamin A and C.
Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• amandab1669
    amandab1669 Posts: 86 Member
    You have to start eating a little more and bumping up your portions a bit. Like for breakfast have an egg or two & the lunch you can bump the turkey up to 4oz. This will allow you to eat a little more and be healthy about it.
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Two large white eggs will add about 140 calories, and you can prepare eggs so many ways, you can't get bored of them!

Fruit will add calories without adding sodium.
  • ninadm09
    ninadm09 Posts: 16
    Hi I'm having the same issue... My Dr recommended 1435 cal per day, I eat a lot and only get to 1100, I do insanity all days, so I burn around 300 - 400... per day... MFP summary indicates I need to gain back the calories I am losing... what is the best way to add calories without adding fat?
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    My advice: just eat more. Try to add 100 calories or so each day until you're eating as much as you need. When you eat, choose calorie- and nutrient-dense foods instead of foods that are basically void. So instead of popcorn, have some nuts. Add some peanut butter or cheese, maybe an egg, with your English muffin. Have an apple with cream cheese or peanut butter for a snack. Add a slice of cheese to your lunch sandwich. You can also add a shake or a smoothie to your day. Some milk and Greek yogurt blended with a handful of spinach, some blueberries, and half a banana will give you some great nutrition and calories.
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Hi I'm having the same issue... My Dr recommended 1435 cal per day, I eat a lot and only get to 1100, I do insanity all days, so I burn around 300 - 400... per day... MFP summary indicates I need to gain back the calories I am losing... what is the best way to add calories without adding fat?

Why don't you want to add fat?
  • junipuni
    junipuni Posts: 264 Member
    I follow a 1,500 calorie plan. I typically do Zumba 4-5 times a week and i do weights for about 20 minutes on those days so i add 485 calories for that burn. I have found I need to eat a majority of my calories burned back to lose weight each week.
    I feel like I eat a lot and I'm having trouble eating the 1,500 calories.
    Here is my diary for today
    Breakfast: multi grain lite English muffin, banana and 4 slices bacon(223 calories)
    A.M. Snack: 1/2 cup pistachios (130 calories)
    Lunch: 2 oz turkey lunch meat,multi grain sandwich rounds, 2 leaves romaine lettuce, 1 cup air popped popcorn and an apple(272 calories)
    P.M. Snack: ritz 4 cheese cracker full (130 calories)
    Dinner: 4 oz chicken breast, 5 oz potatoe, 1 tbsbutter, 1/8 cup cheese, cup of ice burg and romaine lettuce, 1 tbs salad dressing, 1 cup broccoli and 1 cup skim milk(643 calories)
    Grand total of 1,398 calories. I have 15 g of fats left and only 121 of sodium left. ( result of lunch meat and bacon) I am over in fiber( which I always am) protein,vitamin A and C.
    Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
    i know how you feel, I've just upped my calories and am having to do this as well. Based on what you posted you could add some pb to your english muffin. For lunch you could add some cheese and more turkey. I also went to 2% milk instead of skim to get more calories and fat.
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    I eat around 2300-2500 a day, my diary is open but its half Swedish, so probably not much help...but I suggest lots of smaller meals through out the day like 5-6x 300 calorie meals, lots of protein, and good fats like avocado's, nuts, olive and coconut oils (use it on salads, cook with it). fruit and fruit juice (though its high in sugar) Milk is my savior (if you like it and it fits your fats.) and cheese is high (but high in fats too)

I' m tiny girl and it is a struggle, but I have been doing this for 8 weeks you just need to push (LOL honestly, these day 1500-2000 would be a dream some days!)
  • ninadm09
    ninadm09 Posts: 16

Why don't you want to add fat?

I'm supposed to reduce the ampunt of fat consumed becuase I had excess of it. Then when I started exercising I lost 4 lb of fat & 4 lbs of muscle, so I need to gain the muscle back thru protein, but I stick to plan given by my Dr. but I think that due to the workouts I need to add more...
  • thurberj
    thurberj Posts: 528 Member
    bump