From Tears to Triumph

Options
This has truly been an AMAZING year, I have learned so much..... and this goes well beyond the realm of fitness. I have learned about myself and the fact that the only limitations I have are those I impose upon myself. To know me you have to know my story...where I came from to become the person I am now. Lets go back 10 years ago to a hospital room where I was laying all busted up...knee torn in two, ribs, arm, wrist, and two fingers all broken. Watching the morphine drip doing my best not to look at my mother cry......and trying even harder not to cry myself..... I had just fallen a story and half, I had been inspecting a roof and a storm came out of nowhere, I tried to get down the ladder but the wind was too strong. All I can remember is falling.... Fast forward a few years, 6 surgeries later and the doctors telling me there was nothing more they can do for me I would be permanently disabled.....on the ride home those words kept echoing thru my head....I no longer felt like a man, all that I was, all that made me, me.... was gone.... stolen in moment of that fall....Then my mind turned to my son, I had already missed out on so much with him because of this...I had never been a quitter and I refused to start now, after all who the HELL are these doctors to tell me what I can and cant do....I was determined to regain my manhood. Soon as I got home that day I walked around the block, and everyday I would go a little further, everyday push myself a little harder....and yea it hurt but no way was I giving in. 6 months later I added in weight training and continued to push my body to its limits. Fast forward once again to a year ago today I had the exercise thing down but had no idea how to diet, I lived off fast food and frozen TV dinners. My friend Dee told me about MFP, I thought it was the coolest thing ever. I have met so many amazing people on here But in truth I owe my dieting Edestiny....she CHALLENGED me do better and I will always be thankful to her for that. I am a better man because of this site. All my friends mean the WORLD to me , I love you all. I would like to give special thanks to Onebrytesmile my MFPBF for always being there for me, Soccer Chick for being best big sis ever, Kesha for her words of wisdom, And Tonya for flipping my world upside down and changing my life as I knew It for the better. A year ago I weighed around 235lbs and wore size 38 jeans...today I am 202lbs(and have been down to 192lbs trying to add mass now) and wear a size 34 or 32 jeans. I could have never done this without my MFP family. I owe you all more than you will ever know....AND I AM SO E-X-C-I-T-E-D ABOUT THE NEXT 365 DAYS

Replies

• corlas0105
    corlas0105 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Great to hear, and very inspiring!
  • rgibswilg
    rgibswilg Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Awesome story Gmann. Congratulations on your past year and may you continue to Triumph over the course of your next year!!! Amazing work.
  • moepwr
    moepwr Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Way to go! I bet your little boy is proud!
  • TonyaB_WhoGonStopMe
    TonyaB_WhoGonStopMe Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I can never get enough of this story. Whenever I need to 'up my game", I think about your journey and all of my excuses go out the window. :smile: :flowerforyou: :heart:
  • quichebradford
    quichebradford Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I was on my cell phone when I saw you post this earlier...and I was just about to get in the bed a minute ago and I thought, "wait, I need to go read G's post", got out of bed and pulled out my laptop...I'm so glad I did! What an amazing testimony! This is why I push myself to do things I normally wouldn't....if you can come back from what you did, I have absolutely NO EXCUSE! I'm so proud of you!!
  • Sonyakrueger8
    Options
    You are such and inspiration to me and the MFP community but mostly you will inspire your son to greatness. Congrats on getting your life back!
  • lilorphann
    lilorphann Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your success!
  • betsymill
    betsymill Posts: 25
    Options
    Nice! Amazing story and life.
  • gmann1973
    gmann1973 Posts: 247
    Options
    Thanks for all the support
  • funsiiz
    funsiiz Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Wow...What a beautiful story...so proud you never gave up......you are an inspriation to us all:flowerforyou: You can add me as your friend:bigsmile:

ONE OF MY FAVORITE QUOTES

"Show class, have pride, and display character.

If you do, winning takes care of itself."

COACH PAUL "BEAR" BRYANT
  • funsiiz
    funsiiz Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I can never get enough of this story. Whenever I need to 'up my game", I think about your journey and all of my excuses go out the window. :smile: :flowerforyou: :heart:
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    Great story and congrats on your success.
  • RainbowBrite86
    RainbowBrite86 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Great to hear, and very inspiring!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!