Help with Harassment??

Options
So I started getting these insane texts yesterday from a number I have never seen before...They were saying ridiculously innappropiate things to me and about me. They definitely knew who I was and knew things about me that didn't match up. I told them over and over again to leave me alone and they wouldn't. I eventually went to the police and they said they couldn't do much because this person did not threaten me or my life. My best friend called this person to see what was going on because it was really getting to me...now this person is harassing her as well....

I blocked the texts when I got home and thought all was done with....then as I'm going to bed I got 6 calls from this person (I have to block texts and calls seperately on my phone plan) I immediately blocked their calls at that point.

I'm so shooken up about this, I didn't sleep all night and I can't force down food or anything...I just feel so creeped out that someone out there is trying to ruin me (they said this) and I have no control.

Does anyone have advice at all, or can anyone help?

Replies

• carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    Wow. That's really creepy. Now that you blocked that number, maybe it will stop. I'd keep my doors locked. :(
  • cholibear
    cholibear Posts: 86
    Options
    Yeah it's so creepy.....ugh I have the worst anxiety
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    Can you take a restraining order on them?
  • cholibear
    Options

I couldn't even file a harassment charge on them because they didn't threaten me....I don't even know who the number belongs to so I have been trying to find out for hours upon hours and I can't... :/
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options

I couldn't even file a harassment charge on them because they didn't threaten me....I don't even know who the number belongs to so I have been trying to find out for hours upon hours and I can't... :/

Are you in the US?
  • cholibear
    Options

Are you in the US?

yes in Ohio
  • imbanter
    imbanter Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Call your phone provider and see if they can help you. Maybe they can at least tell you who the cell phone carrier is of the number and then you can call them and see if they can help. Tell them you are concerned for your safety.
  • aj_31
    aj_31 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    That is so weird. Would there be any reason for someone to be messing with you like that? An ex or a jealous old friend? Its so random that this would happen out of the blue.
  • cholibear
    Options
    Call your phone provider and see if they can help you. Maybe they can at least tell you who the cell phone carrier is of the number and then you can call them and see if they can help. Tell them you are concerned for your safety.

That's another thing, their number is crazy weird. It doesn't even show up as valid sometimes when I search it. When my friend called...before it even rings it says "please state your name and google will transfer your call"

the cop said this may mean that it's coming from an app....which would be really hard to trace.

Then on a seperate time when my friend called...it actually rang and we got a recorded voicemail (the generic one)

Idk this whole thing makes no sense to me...but it's really getting to me
  • imbanter
    Options
    Sounds like a pissed off chic to me. Is there some woman that feels you ruined her relationship with someone?
  • cholibear
    Options
    Sounds like a pissed off chic to me. Is there some woman that feels you ruined her relationship with someone?

no not at all!
    I feel like it was a guy because they were saying sexual things...blehh..not personal but like "how many guys have you been with since me??" stuff like that...

I've had a boyfriend for 3 years now...so I'm not out there trying to ruin any girl's relationship ya know?...
  • imbanter
    Options

That's another thing, their number is crazy weird. It doesn't even show up as valid sometimes when I search it. When my friend called...before it even rings it says "please state your name and google will transfer your call"

the cop said this may mean that it's coming from an app....which would be really hard to trace.

Then on a seperate time when my friend called...it actually rang and we got a recorded voicemail (the generic one)

Yeah they might be calling you from a google or skype phone number or using an app that shows a totally different number all together. It is tougher to track down but it can be done.
  • cholibear
    Options

Yeah they might be calling you from a google or skype phone number or using an app that shows a totally different number all together. It is tougher to track down but it can be done.

I just want to find out who it is so bad....it's driving me nuts. I can't even focus on anything else at this point.. :/
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options

no not at all!
    I feel like it was a guy because they were saying sexual things...blehh..not personal but like "how many guys have you been with since me??" stuff like that...

I've had a boyfriend for 3 years now...so I'm not out there trying to ruin any girl's relationship ya know?...

Can you change your phone numbers? Both home and cell? Its a pain but worth it. I went through the same with a girl I worked with. She had this obsession with me and always texted me and emailed and called. I changed everything and then she showed up at my house....but that's a whole 'nother story.
    In any case, that type of determination to bug you is scary. I'd talk to my phone service provider.
  • JPod279
    JPod279 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Call the Attorney General's office in your state and see if they can help you.
  • SanniHope
    SanniHope Posts: 23
    Options
    That is sooo creepy!!!
    Here in Italy you can go to the postal office and ask to have the number blocked on your mobile...
    I hope everything will be allright! Stay strong <3
  • cholibear
    Options
    Yeah it's blocked now...but now that they can't stalk me on my phone I don't want them to resort to stalking me other places. i.e. work..home..the gym...
  • missjewl
    missjewl Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Contact your phone company explain your situation and get your number changed!
  • cholibear
    Options
    Yeah i might do that...and only give my number to family and VERY close friends to avoid this crap....
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    Post the phone number. Lets see what we can do to assist.

I had something similar happen to my wife.
    She runs a home daycare and she has advertisements on her SUV.
    Anyway, I guess someone saw her and copied down her phone number.
    He started to call her. First, he politely asked her for a date and, once she explained she was married, the harassment started to come.
    I finally googled his phone number. He owns a car detailing business and was advertising on the web with the same number he was calling from.
    With that, I was able to get his name and from there, his address.
    I called him up and told him to stop calling my wife. He said a few stupid things so I then gave him his address and suggestied that maybe I come to his house and let his wife know what was going on.
    The calls stopped.