Clever food substitutes

ctooch99
ctooch99 Posts: 459 Member
Your buddy Tooch here again with another topic I hope to get cool feedback on (MFP users rule!)

So today I wanna know what tricks healthy folks use to switch out healthy substitutes for things that they love (but that are not good nutritionally). I am getting better at this, but I think there are still some holes I need to fill!

Some of the ones I do (these are all pretty easy - nothing too clever)
- Almond Milk for regular milk (OMG - Almond milk is SOOO good - is it good to cook with though?)
- Dark chocolate for milk chocolate (no brainer)
- Brown rice for white rice (again, no brainer)
- Whole wheat wraps instead of sliced bread for lunch (kinda messy in the morning though - only thing I hate about 'em)
- Almond butter in place of peanut butter - sometimes (still loving peanut butter)
- Sardines and spicy mustard in place of lunch meat on sandwiches (I still love some lean ham though)

Lay 'em on me folks - I am your clay - ha

Replies

• amyllangley
    amyllangley Posts: 8 Member
    Greek Yogurt in place of sour cream.
    Mashed cauliflower in place of mashed potatoes
    Egg white omelets in place of whole egg omelets
    Carbonated natural flavored water in place of diet sodas
  • wwk10
    wwk10 Posts: 244 Member
    I switched to brown rice too, but I cannot cook it well.
    I am a decent cook. I can cook white rice in my sleep, I understand that brown rice will always have a little "crunch" to it so my expecations are realistic.

I soak my brown rice in equal parts chicken stock. I add salt and bring it to a boil then reduce to simmer with lid on pot to keep steam in. I steam for about 20 minutes (White rice would be done in 15-20) I add another cup of chicken stock and repeat the process for another 20 minutes. Earlier this week I cooked my brown rice for an hour (white rice would be sticky by now) When I put the rice on my plate it made clicking sounds because it was still so gritty.

Oh, and I dont like instant rice.
    Any tips?
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Pretty much the same as you.

I still use pb though. I just switched to natural or organic.

Almond milk.
    Brown rice.
    I use spaghetti squash in place of pasta.
    Whole grain bread.
    I make pancakes with low fat cream cheese.
    I make milkshakes with protein powder and bananas instead of ice cream.
    I eat a lot of peppers. I will pretty much stuff a pepper with anything!
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Oh and turkey sausage, bacon etc instead of pork sausage or bacon.