Does Milk make someone fat

Options
I read a recent article that cow milk caan make someone add alot of pounds, they gave the theory that a calf sucks the milk for about 6Months and adds more than 200punds therefore if humans take the cow milk you add weight very quickly

How true is this??? i have been drinking alot of milk and tea lately...

Replies

• now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Not sure where you read this but it's false.

Sure, if you drink 3000 calories of milk a day you will gain weight. It's about calorie control.

Not sure why they would relate cows and calves to humans.
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    only if your drinking 3500 cals over your maintance cals consistantly and thats a heck of alot of milk just saying
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    It's about calorie control.

Yes. If you drink enough milk to make you go into a calorie surplus, you will gain.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Calories make you fat. The packaging they come in is largely irrelevant.

If milk helps you get the right macronutrients (fats, carbs, proteins) into you in the right proportions, drink up!
  • SweetSammie
    SweetSammie Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    http://www.slashfood.com/2007/01/06/full-fat-dairy-linked-to-lower-weight/

I've been drinking a lot of milk and eating 2% yogurt (need the calcium)... and I'm losing at a better rate than I should for my calorie deficit.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with drinking milk. I drink 2% on a daily basis and have lost around 30 lbs since November 2010.

*waiting for the "milk will kill you dead" crowd*
  • MLT314
    MLT314 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Recent studies have shown that adding more low fat dairy to your diet increases the amount of weight you can lose.:smile:
  • vypeters
    vypeters Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Full fat milk is pretty calorie dense. So if you drink a lot of it, it's easy to get quite a few calories. However milk doesn't = weight gain. Too many calories = weight gain.

As long as you don't get too many total calories, regardless of the source, you're golden.
  • Penzi80
    Penzi80 Posts: 29
    Options
    http://www.slashfood.com/2007/01/06/full-fat-dairy-linked-to-lower-weight/

I've been drinking a lot of milk and eating 2% yogurt (need the calcium)... and I'm losing at a better rate than I should for my calorie deficit.
    The link was quite informative i have been drinking 500mls or so per day but am still within my calorie goals
  • Penzi80
    Penzi80 Posts: 29
    Options
    Full fat milk is pretty calorie dense. So if you drink a lot of it, it's easy to get quite a few calories. However milk doesn't = weight gain. Too many calories = weight gain.

As long as you don't get too many total calories, regardless of the source, you're golden.
    I was planning to eliminate milk intake but i see i got no reasons to worry. Great loss there...well done
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I read a recent article that cow milk caan make someone add alot of pounds, they gave the theory that a calf sucks the milk for about 6Months and adds more than 200punds therefore if humans take the cow milk you add weight very quickly

A good dairy cow produces about 10 gallons of milk per day. That's 11,700 calories, or about 3.3 lbs. So over 6mo, the calf takes in 600lbs worth of calories, and only gains 200lbs? Sounds like a GREAT diet food to me!
  • 1nsanity
    1nsanity Posts: 95 Member
    Options

lets look at this in a more scientific way:

milk is very calorically dense. when a calf is very young and growing, its bmr is very low, and it is drinking a ton of milk on top of that. so yes it is adding a lot of weight from the milk. but it is also gaining weight from EVERYTHING ELSE that is getting bigger while it grows. prime examples: bones and muscles are growing and adding weight in the first six months. this article sounds completely ridiculous (as everyone has pointed out)
  • DeniseB0711
    DeniseB0711 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with drinking milk. I drink 2% on a daily basis and have lost around 30 lbs since November 2010.

*waiting for the "milk will kill you dead" crowd*

OMG!!! IT will don't you know that pastuerized milk is the worst thing ever. IT does all sorts of things to your insides.
    If you are going to drink milk it shoudl be RAW..but wait Raw milk has all sorts of nasty bacteria that can cause all sorts of nasty things to your insides.

J/K
    Drink as you wish. I drink milk every day but that's only becasue I am WHITE.....do a little digging you'll find that most other ethnic groups are lactose intolerant. If my fat peasant family hadnt adapted to drinking milk in teh cold winters of Northern Europe, chances are I woudln't be here. (or at least that's what I have been told)