making the wrong choice at THAT moment

Options
The last week and a half I have been having a really hard time. about 90% of the time I am very motivated. I am working out and eating right almost the whole day but when I get home from work to have my snack before dinner I am making the wrong choice. All day I have planned what I am going to eat...then I get home and open the cabinet and get out something else! For that 15 minutes I don't care I am just hungry. Then I get upset because I blew my diet it 15 minutes. What do you guys do to make the right choice at that time?

People always say not to have the food in the house but my husband wants to have those snacks so I want to buy them for him. He is better than I am about eating portions and not snacking very much.

Help please :cry:

Replies

• mrsdovin
    Options
    Maybe designate seperate snacking cabinets? One for you one for him? That way you aren't tempted to eat the "wrong" thing...
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    Hide the food! Give him his own cabinet or drawer in the fridge where he can stash his goodies. I don't usually keep snacks in my kitchen either, but if I do, I'll put them in a different cabinet where I don't see them every day. In my fridge drawer now, I've got three bottles of beer and two bottles of birch beer soda. I don't ever go in that drawer and I'm not tempted by seeing it every time I go to the fridge!
  • cherie2304
    cherie2304 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    When you have those moments acknowledge them and go do something else. Whether it be walking or cleaning...anything to get your mind off snacking. I notice I start to snack when I'm bored so I will go and clean something. Anything to get my mind off the snacking. It really works. Good luck!!
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    Maybe designate seperate snacking cabinets? One for you one for him? That way you aren't tempted to eat the "wrong" thing...

:laugh: Great minds think alike! :wink:
  • JJs25th
    JJs25th Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Try making a snack up for that time of day ahead of time and carry it with you. (I carry food around quite a bit as I have migrains and if I need to eat -- I need to eat :ohwell: ). Then munch your snack on your way home so you are not hungry when you walk in the house; where temeptation lies...

Another thought: My hubby likes his snacks too -- he has actually helped me out by looking for the ones I also like in the 100 calorie size. Then when I need to I can go for one of "my" bags and not one of his.
  • MissKim
    MissKim Posts: 2,853 Member
    Options
    We must be twins because I am the exact same way!!! I eat wonderful all day!! But then when I get home, I just feel like I'm starving and eat everything I can get my hands on!! So I don't really have good advice because I'm trying to figure this out for myself. Me and my boyfriend have decided to start going to the gym as soon as we get home to lift weights, so that way when I get back from the gym and I get ready to cook supper I will not want to blow all the work I just did! We're starting that plan today! But any other advice would be great!

Also, I'm trying to eat a small healthy snack before I get home, so I won't be so hungry
  • mrsdovin
    Options

:laugh: Great minds think alike! :wink:

Indeed! :happy:
  • mrsdovin
    Options

Also, I'm trying to eat a small healthy snack before I get home, so I won't be so hungry

Perhaps having something (nonperishable) in your car for the ride home- sounds like a good idea (one I might try, considering I am guilty of snacking wrong as soon as I get home too some days)
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    Those are some good ideas thanks. i like the seperate drawer or cabinet idea. I already by seperate snacks for us (potato chips for him, baked lays for me ect.) so that should be easy to seperate out.
  • amk1725
    amk1725 Posts: 156
    Options
    I try to have a good snack at work before I leave around 4 or 4:30. This usually holds me over until dinner around 7:30 or 8.

Luckily, I'm usually busy right when I get home, working out, helping with homework, straightening up, etc so I don't have a whole lot of time to snack anyway.

Another trick I've found with bad snacks being in the house....
    My son and fiance love snacks, sweets, everything I shouldn't eat, so I HAVE to buy them. (I've already made them convert to the healthier stuff like wheat bread, fruit, wheat pasta, etc. so I feel bad) I put their stuff on the lowest shelf in the pantry and put my healthy stuff on top. I buy them snacks that I know I don't really like either. Like if I bought oreos for them, I'd eat them. But I don't really like peanut butter cookies, so I'll buy those for them. That way their happy and I'm not tempted by having my favs in the house.

Hope that helps. It's worked for me so far.
  • BetterVersion
    Options
    You could try taking a small snack with you to work- not much, just a 100 cal pack or something. Have it an hour or so before you're going to head home. That way, when you get home you're not quite so famished, and it would be easier to avoid making the wrong decision.
  • KendalBeee
    KendalBeee Posts: 2,269 Member
    Options
    I was running into the same problem. As soon as I got home I was starving and eating all kinds of junk food as I was making dinner and then eating way too much for dinner.

Not sure what your work environment is, but now I keep snacks in my desk at work. I have "good" food ready whenever I feel the urge to go across the hall to the cafe and buy "bad" food. Maybe try to keep something at work so you can eat at the end of the day or on your way home.

I have Quaker Chewy Granola bars, Light Pringles and mini bags of popcorn....sweet and salty stuff to cover any craving I might have. Those 100 cal packs are good too (or you can make your own by buying a real package of whatever food it is, count out 100 cal worth of it and put it in baggies to save money).
  • rogers8702
    rogers8702 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    i was having that same issue for months, i finally realized if i have a snack right before i leave work or on my way home from work, i dont binge when i walk in the door or pick while im cooking dinner.

my favs for that time of day are
    pear
    apple
    fiber one bar
    and always with a big water.