Healthy Mashed Potatoes!! :)

Options
jmoney34
jmoney34 Posts: 61 Member
Ok, I have never been a huge fan of cauliflower. I wouldn't consider myself a picky eater, but I just don't like it. I tried making "mock" mashed potatoes with cauliflower once while doing atkins and I absolutely hated them. I am no longer low-carbing, just trying to eat healthy and balanced, but I still don't like cauliflower. So, what I did was make mashed potatoes with cauliflower AND potatoes. I couldn't even taste the cauliflower!! They literally tasted exactly like mashed potatoes. I actually added some garlic to make them garlic mashed potatoes, and paired it with shrimp and broccoli. Here's the recipe:

3 medium sized potatoes
1/2 head of cauliflower
2 tbs I can't believe it's not butter light
1/2 cup skim milk
Salt and pepper to taste

I portion it into 3 equal sized servings and it calculates as 223 calories. They are decent sized portions (because mashed potatoes are my favorite food), so you could easily make it into 4 servings! Hope you all enjoy as much as I did! :)

Replies

• janemem
    janemem Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that, I think I'm definitely going to try it out. I'm on 1200 cals/day so I very very very rarely have any kind of potato dish at all which isn't really a problem because I use a lot of lentils/beans/bulgur but the one thing I do miss is mashed potato. I've made it before using no butter and only skimmed milk but it was still too high in calories for my allowance. I never thought of substituting some of the potato for cauliflower even though I use cauliflower as a thickener in soups in place of potato....doh! ;-)
    I've just added potatoes and a cauliflower to my shopping list. :-D
  • joanmc12
    joanmc12 Posts: 17
    Options
    L:bigsmile: can't wait to try sounds good thanks !!!
  • Broncsoup
    Broncsoup Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Looks good, I'll try it and see if I can sneak it in on my kids too.
  • Aross83
    Aross83 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Try using Parsnips too.
    I make a parsnip puree and add a potatoe to it too.
    the parsnips are full of vitamins and fiber!
  • Alacey88
    Alacey88 Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Sounds interesting....