Swollen Hands

I may not know this because I am fairly new at walking longer than 45 minutes but I need to figure out what to do. After about 45 minutes to an hour while walking my hands become very swollen. By the time I finish 1-2 hours of walking my hands are numb and very swollen. It has been over 30 minutes since I walked and it still feels uncomfortable typing. I plan on seeing the doctor but wanted to know if anyone else has ever had this problem or maybe it there is a simple solution. Thanks!!

Replies

• kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    This happens to me from time to time on really long runs. I notice it when it's hot outside and I am/get dehydrated. Try bringing water with you on your walks and see if that helps. Also avoid having anything on your wrists or too tight on your arms like a hair band or a strap (like for music or a HRM or something) -- that's gotten me into trouble before!
  • Jtorres326
    Jtorres326 Posts: 157 Member
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hand-swelling/AN01403

Hope this helps. If it really concerns you, talk to your doctor about it.
  • Kristan_Forsey
    Kristan_Forsey Posts: 103 Member
    Avoid taking a hot shower. Try putting your feet up for 30 mins after. You can also ice your hands to bring the swelling down. Drink a sports drink such as Gatorade to fix any potential electrolyte imbalances (I believe that all the brands make low calorie versions now). Drink lots of water.

I had this same problem after running a 10K race and it is not fun :(

Hope the tips help.
  • frootcat
    frootcat Posts: 194 Member
    It's evidently pretty normal. Try flexing your fingers occasionally as you walk, like you're playing with a pen or something. It also helps me to .. (forgive me, Cameo) ... 'Wave your hands in the air like you don't care ...Glide by the people as they start to look and stare' :)
  • joy31021
    joy31021 Posts: 216
    my hands do swell - I hold them up over my head for parts of my walk-looks goofy but it helps
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    My hands will do the same thing if I keep my arms down to my sides and swing them. To avoid it, I bend my arms at 90 degree's and 'pump' my arms as I walk.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    The link from the Mayo Clinic has some good advice.

This used to be a real problem for me, but I found that as I started drinking more water and eating less sodium (which is the opposite of what Mayo is recommending) the problem went away.

I suspect the Mayo link is more for otherwise-healthy people who eat an otherwise-healthy diet, though. This happened to me a LOT, sometimes painfully, when I was very overweight and ate a sodium-rich diet. I also had blood pressure issues back then.

Drinking more water, eating less sodium, and persevering through it (after talking to my doctor about whether I should be concerned and having an EKG and some bloodwork done during a routine physical) solved it for me. They still swell up a bit, but it's not noticeable any more.
  • AZnewme
    AZnewme Posts: 228 Member
    My hands will do the same thing if I keep my arms down to my sides and swing them. To avoid it, I bend my arms at 90 degree's and 'pump' my arms as I walk.

That's what I do as well and it seems to help. I also clinch an unclinch them. I am pretty sure mine are from poor circulation, but the exercise has helped!
  • WILSONBA
    WILSONBA Posts: 197
    This happens to me a lot when i work out. usually if i do hand stretches, wiggle my fingers, and put my hands up a bit higher than my heart the swelling subsides. i also find it beneficial to focus on breathing to get the oxygen flowing properly through my body.
  • amphotography
    amphotography Posts: 20 Member
    I have the same issue. Most of the time it is caused by your blood vessels expanding to allow more blood flow into your hands to try and cool off your body. I usually raise my arms above my head for a little while or do arm circles. That helps temporarily. I make sure I drink enough water while I walk, too. Make sure you do some cool down stretches, too. I find that seems to help.
  • Fani2003
    Fani2003 Posts: 195 Member
    I do this too (hands and feet). The local runners shop recommended compression socks for my longer walks/runs. I also try to hydrate as much as possible during the walks/runs.
  • poundsgalore
    poundsgalore Posts: 99 Member
    Thank you so much for all of the awesome advice. I have been trying the hands in the air also. Thank you, thank you, I am happy to know my hands are not going to explode while walking!!!! :flowerforyou: