Is sodium an important factor in weight loss?

Options
2011EP
2011EP Posts: 95 Member
Hi, my trainer stresses that I eat foods low in fat, sugar and sodium. I understand the first two, but does it really make a big difference if I'm eating higher amounts of sodium versus lower amounts. Obviously, the less is better. but will it really slow me down if I'm eating higher amounts of sodium?

I ask because I'm in korea and there are plenty of dishes that are okay calorie-wise but are quite high in sodium, especially soups and broth-based dishes. What do you all say?

Replies

• jryan83
    jryan83 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I'd be really interested to know also. I track my sodium counts on MFP, and am usually way over recommended levels.

I do know that usually more processed foods have higher sodium, and the less you eat of those the better (so they say...).
    Other thing is sodium can cause fluid retention and increase hypertension (if you have a problem with it).

That's all I know on sodium. Don't know if that helps any.
  • 2011EP
    2011EP Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Yes, I agree about water retention and how that makes people bloated, but that doesn't exactly correlate to weight gain does it? Since when you lose weight, we're talking about losing fat... Ugh I'm so confused!
  • MrsRawwwr
    MrsRawwwr Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Higher sodium will reflect on the scale, which can be a real buzz kill.
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    You should keep the sodium low....and drink lots of water!
  • ryanbastiencpga
    Options
    Sodium retains water, water retention is a huge factor in not being able to lose weight. Soups and broths are bad... If you are going to eat them, you need to be careful which ones you eat. Less sodium in your system the better, weight loss is all about trips to the bathroom, the more sodium, the less trips to the bathroom!!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    High sodium generally means you will retain water. That can either show as a gain or as no loss. It also makes you bloated, which makes your clothes fit tighter. All that can be very demotivating.

Also, you don't need to eat low fat foods. Consuming healthy fats can actually make it easier for your body to burn fat.
  • katenmills
    katenmills Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Well unlike sugar and fat, sodium has no calories. So you can't gain actual weight from eating it (someone will correct me if i'm wrong, i'm sure :) ). However, having too much sodium in your diet causes fluid retention (water weight) which will reflect on the scale and can make you look 'puffy'. Consuming too much sodium can also be detrimental to your health; it can cause high blood pressure which increases your likelihood of having a stroke etc.

*edit for typos*
  • Cambrendle
    Cambrendle Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    See my ticker below for going from 5000 mg of sodium per day to less than 2500 mg of sodium per day (over 10 days). Too much sodium causes water retention, as well as constant high intake sets your body up for sodium retention syndrome. It's a nasty cycle and leads to high blood pressure, and unbalanced electrolytes and chemistry in your body, and eventually decreased kidney function. If you aren't careful with your sodium intake, weight loss will be the least of your concerns. :wink:
  • ArtemisMoon
    ArtemisMoon Posts: 144
    Options
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/03/opinion/sunday/we-only-think-we-know-the-truth-about-salt.html?pagewanted=all

This was a very interesting read on salt. It makes me want to read the research about the negative impacts of sodium.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    sodium will not affect fat loss. I think that is what you really want to know.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/03/opinion/sunday/we-only-think-we-know-the-truth-about-salt.html?pagewanted=all

This was a very interesting read on salt. It makes me want to read the research about the negative impacts of sodium.

I went to read this.......and then I saw the author was Gary Taubes. I decided not to waste my time.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    sodium will not affect fat loss. I think that is what you really want to know.

Agreed.

It affects weight loss but fat loss? No.
  • Natty0506
    Natty0506 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Sodium doesn't affect fat loss, but it will keep you feeling bloated (and being bloated). I try to eat between 1500 and 2000 mg of sodium per day. most days it's a lot less. But I also don't eat a lot of gravy or sauce with anything and I don't add salt to what I make.
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Yep, doesn't affect "weight loss" but can mask it with water retention.
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    I used to hardly drink water and ate probably around 1500-2000 mg a day. I then started drinking 8+ cups a day and have tried to keep my sodium under 1500 and lost 5 pounds just from that. No, it doesn't affect fat loss, but you could be a few less pounds than you think.
  • Spice_4_Life
    Spice_4_Life Posts: 225
    Options
    I've noticed that cutting my sodium to under 2000 a day (usually I'm around 1500) I feel much better, and a lot less slugish. Also, fat cells collect water (cellulite) so the more water you drink along with low sodium diet, the more your body flushes out. Which in turn actually makes the cellulite less noticable (doesn't get rid of it, but it does makes a big difference) :) At least that's what I noticed :))) Good luck hun!
  • melb2003
    melb2003 Posts: 198
    Options
    I agree with the others. When my sodium was WAYYYYY over, I was always at a plateu every other week. Now that I track my sodium, I haven't hit a plateau yet. Sodium = bad for weight loss!!
  • Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    For two weeks I ate poorly and my sodium intake was a lot higher. I stepped on the scale and it said I gained 7 pounds. I got back on track and ate well with lower sodium foods and within 3 days those 7 pounds were gone. I didn't actually gain 7 pounds obviously so I was retaining water. My clothes did feel tighter because I was bloated.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    It doesn't affect fat loss-but do a search for threads with titles along the lines of "HELP!!! I gained 2/4/6 lbs overnight/after a binge/after a bad day". So while it doesn't affect fat loss, at least 500 posts appear every day from people who have "gained" weight after consuming more sodium than their bodies were able to handle. Plus-the previously mentioned impacts to the cardiovascular system make keeping your sodium consumption low a win-win.
  • athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    Options

I went to read this.......and then I saw the author was Gary Taubes. I decided not to waste my time.

Here's a study:

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(97)09092-2/fulltext

Starting to question my own relationship with sodium.