for the people who successfully lost weight

Options
hello, i started MFP two months ago and i've seen people talk about eating waaaay more than what mfp says, but i think its kind of Bologna, so im wondering if anyone here has followed MPF exactly and still met their goals.
Thanks.

Replies

• EvilPink
    EvilPink Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    You're likely hearing them talk about the eating back your calories aspect of MFP. It's a very, very common question that gets discussed many times a day around here. Basically; if you set your goals at 1200 cals a day and then burn off 800 in exercise, you're supposed to eat back your work out calories to fuel that work out. So, rather than eating 1200 cals a day you actually consume 2000. So, that's probably what they mean when they say they go way over their calorie intake. And yes, it does work. If you burn a bunch of calories through exercise but still only eat 1200 calories, you actually end up underconsuming what your body needs to fuel you and then the whole "starvation mode" issue comes in to play.

I've seen people do it both ways. Some eat back their calories all the time. Others never do it. I think many people have lost a lot of weight both ways. My personal thoughts on it are do what feels right. If I go out and burn 700 calories and am hungry afterward; obviously my body is telling me it needs to recoop and refuel and so I eat. I may not eat back all 700 (another issue is that MFP overestimates calories burned so if you eat them all back you could inadvertantly overconsume so some people eat back only a portion) but I'll eat back at least some. There are other times when I'm not hungry after a work out and I feel fine. If that's the case - I don't eat. I don't believe in forcing myself to eat when my body is not telling me it needs fuel. That's how I got into this mess in the first place, lol.

It's all really a matter of preference but both ways will still help you lose weight.
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    It really depends on how you set your goals, since a lot of people end up with the minimum 1200 when they could probably lose weight eating more. You'll lose more weight and be more likely to keep it off if you're eating enough to keep your energy level high enough and working out.

I lost most of my weight before joining MFP, but I have noticed...

- if my calories are too low I get spacey, have trouble sleeping, and eventually binge. (and when I do sleep I dream about food!)
    - I gain weight if I don't exercise, even if I do stick to a low calorie plan.
  • bradphil87
    bradphil87 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I do pretty much what it says. I rarely go over, and if I do it was most likely a special occasion. As far as the "eating back exercise cals" goes. I can take it or leave it. If I'm hungry, I will eat some more. If I'm not, than in not just gonna stuff my face to get to the number. That's just me tho
  • redhead1234567890
    Options
    thanks everyone
  • firemedicjoe26
    Options
    It takes a long period of time for your body to go into "starvation mode" as far as eating back your calories you should eat back a portion of the calories you burn not all of them. Your body won't metabolize muscle for days of under consumption. When the smell of your sweat changes to a bleach type smell your body is metabolzing muscle for fuel this is called catabolism the body does not have the carbohydrates to enter the second part of metabolism called anabolism thus is stays in the first phase of breaking down proteins instead of carbohydrates
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    If you burn a bunch of calories through exercise but still only eat 1200 calories, you actually end up underconsuming what your body needs to fuel you and then the whole "starvation mode" issue comes in to play.

I agree with a lot of what you said but not this. Your body can burn stored calories (body fat) for fuel, which is why overweight people don't starve. Ever. Their metabolisms never grind to a halt, either. It's very convenient for food-lovers to think they are in danger of starving while dieting but they're not. Eating just below your burn level is lovely and comfy and healthy and glorious but it's absolutely not the requirement many people here seem to think it is. If your energy level flags a little throughout the day, it's not dangerous. You do what you can to get by and you lose the excess weight. Whether you do it at a snail's pace or faster is up to your comfort level.

If only we were all so careful with our bodies and our energy levels and our metabolisms and our macros on the way UP the scale.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I agree with a lot of what you said but not this. Your body can burn stored calories (body fat) for fuel, which is why overweight people don't starve. Ever. Their metabolisms never grind to a halt, either. It's very convenient for food-lovers to think they are in danger of starving while dieting but they're not. Eating just below your burn level is lovely and comfy and healthy and glorious but it's absolutely not the requirement many people here seem to think it is. If your energy level flags a little throughout the day, it's not dangerous. You do what you can to get by and you lose the excess weight. Whether you do it at a snail's pace or faster is up to your comfort level.
    Well said. Experimenters routinely put people on diets of 400, 500, 800 and similar calorie levels in order to get quick measurable results - yet they never record people failing to lose weight or measure BMRs of 1000 or less.
  • littleblonde200
    Options
    I think all our bodys work different and what works for one won't work for others. Me personally i find when i exercise if i don't eat at least some of my calories back then i don't lose any weight. However my calories are set at 1200 so i still only eat say 1400. What i would do is maybe try a few weeks at exercising and not eating extra calories and then try a few weeks at exercising and eating say 1/2 of them back and see what happens. At worst you will stay the same but at least you may find what works
  • Bub1971
    Bub1971 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I have modified my MFP but I do stick to it and the main things I have found is my water consumption is probably the most important factor in losing weight I see lots of people stick to thier MFP but not water consumption so as long as I follow it all I lose weight. But I feel it is learning what works for you everyone is different.
  • capperboy
    capperboy Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I have found that MFP works for me. When I was in the weight loss phase my MFP setting was 1200 calories, depending on hunger I ate back all or part of my exercise calories.
    Now I am on maintenance I set MFP to active and no longer log exercise. I log all food and eat to the MFP designated target. So far so good.
  • Alkirra
    Alkirra Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I have found that MFP works for me. When I was in the weight loss phase my MFP setting was 1200 calories, depending on hunger I ate back all or part of my exercise calories.
    Now I am on maintenance I set MFP to active and no longer log exercise. I log all food and eat to the MFP designated target. So far so good.

I did this and I'm now doing what he does other than I log my exercise and dont eat it back but if I'm hungry I do eat and I don't worry about it as I know I will choose food correctly.
  • kepete
    kepete Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    If I workout I can eat & lose ... If I don't, I gain. MFP works if you stick with it & make it as a way of life. Don't make it a diet.
  • kathyms13
    kathyms13 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    i log my food every day, i find it helps. having my diary open as well makes me accountable for all to see. i dont eat back calls my personal view is it defets the object. ive now lost 5 and a half stones but most before mfp, but my ex partner moved in we ate more i put a stone back on so she moved out. now im back on track.
  • sazzyp1973
    sazzyp1973 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    The exercise calories I eat back varies. I just go with how I feel. If I feel hungrier then I will eat something more but if I don't, I don't force feed myself to match the calories. Some days are high and some days are low but I try to keep an eye on the weekly total.

Not that I am an expert and have a long way to go, habits may all change when I get into it more!
  • 5kidsforme
    5kidsforme Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I have followed MFP pretty closely. I do not go over what they tell me to eat, unless I have messed up (which isn't too often anymore). I do eat most of my exercise calories back (about 300 cals. on exercise days). It has taken me 8 months to lose 11.8 lbs because I'm so close to my goal weight.
  • stephanie_pephanie
    Options
    My 2c! Personally, I've lost nearly 20 kilos over about 6 months without MFP but through logging every calorie I consume and using an online energy expenditure calculator. I don't think I've ever eaten less than 1400 cals per day and sometimes I have as much as 1900 if I feel like it (ya know those PMS times or when you just have to have chocolate!!)

I here of others eating around 1200 and I seriously don't know how they do it!!! Congrats to those that can, but I feel way too deprived on anything much less than 1400. I do exercise a fair bit and walk everywhere so I guess that makes it easier to eat more - expenditure usually around 2270 cals, but was more when I was more overweight.

For me I think it is better to eat a bit more. I have room to moderately indulge but still eat mainly clean. Feels like less of a "diet" that way. But, like others say, you will find what works for you! Good luck on your journey. It is completely worth it - don't let anybody tell you being slim won't make you happy 'cause it darn well does!!!! :) Being "normal" is completely under-rated!!
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,234 Member
    Options
    Setting aside the whole starvation mode debate for a moment, the basic premise of weight loss is to consume fewer calories than your body requires-requiring your body to turn to existing energy reserves to make up the difference. Theoretically (not including the whole BMR/starvation mode debate), the greater the difference between your calorie intake and your calorie requirements, the faster you will lose weight-again, theoretically.

Like many, many people on mfp, I am here because I really like food-particularly "bad" food, and have eaten at the opposite of a calorie deficit for many, many years. While I could probably force myself to eat 1200 calories a day (or less), I don't have to eat that little to lose weight. As long as I eat fewer calories than my body requires, I will continue to lose. There's a big difference between what my body requires and 1200. And as previously mentioned, I like food-and it's substantially easier for me to stick to a "plan" that allows me to eat-kind of a lot. Am I losing weight at the fastest possible rate? Nope. But am I adjusting from decades of overeating nothing but crap and into eating better and at a healthy level? Yes. And I'm doing it in a sustainable fashion. For those of us with years of bad eating habits, finding our way to healthy & sustainable eating habits is more important than speedy weight loss (IMHO).

So I eat more than 1200 calories a day. And I lose weight. And my mfp tells me to eat more than 1200 calories a day as long as I set it to lose less than 2lbs a week. So theoretically, I am "following" mfp-but I'm not at 1200 calories a day.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,234 Member
    Options
    And I eat my exercise calories (or most of them anyway). So change all of the "eating" a certain # of calories to "netting" a certain number of calories in my post above. I eat WAY more than 1200 calories a day.
  • debs6
    debs6 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I have lost all except for 6 of the 42 + kilos following MFP and carefully balancing my input and output. I set my activity level to sedentary and tried to log all of my exercise and ate back most of my exercise calories most of the time. I made sure that I exercised every day for approx one hour a day. I have recently moved into maintenance (almost 4 weeks ago) and so far have been ver successful at maintaining. Just prior to moving into maintenance I bought a fit bit - I am so happy with it as it makes maintenance easier.if anything I have to make sure that I eat close enough to my allowance as I have lost a further .2 kilos since starting maintenance and I really don't want to lose more
  • EvilPink
    EvilPink Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    If you burn a bunch of calories through exercise but still only eat 1200 calories, you actually end up underconsuming what your body needs to fuel you and then the whole "starvation mode" issue comes in to play.

If only we were all so careful with our bodies and our energy levels and our metabolisms and our macros on the way UP the scale.

I actually don't agree with it either. I said it more to cover the general bases for the OP of the all the reasons people would give as to why they eat way more than their MFP goals and help answer her question. Like I said further down in that same post, I personally don't follow that logic; sure, if I have a killer work out and I'm hungry afterward then I eat. If not, I don't. I try to listen to what my body is telling me it needs rather than just work out and then come home and force myself to stuff down 700 calories or however many I've burned just because of some perceived notion of "starvation mode."